[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Such a shame how its worked out with Sanchez, I firmly believe he was on a path to being one of the very best in the world and whilst being dropped once might have been good for him after a few mistakes, doing it twice had no reason to it other than to very publicly reject him. Contrary to all the slagging off on here, when he was dropped he didn't immediately throw a strop, he was on the bench for two full months, and when he got back in the side two months later he was exceptional, in the win at Chelsea and then a clean sheet in the Cup semi-final including one of the best saves I've seen live. And was then dropped again. At that point he obviously realised RDZ wanted nothing to do with him and I'd challenge anyone to be content in that situation. And still we haven't had him mouthing off to the press, just a behind closed-doors conversation with RDZ where they agreed it was better for everyone that he moves on. Fantastic keeper at every single part of the game, great shot stopper, confident in the air, good with his feet, a tough character who belongs in the premier league. RDZ wants his keeper to be exceptional with the ball at his feet, which rules out 99% of keepers out there, and that's absolutely fine, but when he moves on and we stop playing his style, we'll more than likely be left with a keeper who's not as good as the one we're letting go.

And it all makes me sad
In reality he was only 'dropped' once. In the cup game he was the 'cup keeper' - he hadn't 'won back' his first-team place to be dropped again. It's his inability to seemingly understand that which has caused the problems I think.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I have thought for a while that the 'hate' towards Sanchez from our fans is pretty harsh, considering nobody knows exactly what has happened.

As far as I'm aware, he reacted to being dropped very badly and acted unprofessionally by not turning up to training, possibly falling out with the gaffer.

It's hardly crime of the century. Is there something else that's happened that I've missed?

Either way, he seems to have lost the fans, and possibly the manager too. I'd still give him a second chance. He's a quality young keeper, who can still make it to the very highest level... but he's clearly on his way out.

I would be disappointed if we got less than £15m plus add ons for him, as at one point he was probably valued twice that.
Sanchez just quit on his teammates at an important stage of the season, unforgivable in my view particularly when he was usurped by someone who is the epitome of a good teammate.

That said I think Sanchez is a good goalkeeper and until his demotion was pretty happy with him. This move represents good news for both us and Sanchez. Bob reunites with Ben Roberts and we get a very tidy sum indeed. So win win for all concerned

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
His form clearly dropped when Roberts left for Chels, at least in the short term. A stinking attitude has obviously done for him here. Maybe this is best for all concerned, he'll get a reunion and a pay rise, we get a chunk and Chels get a decent replacement for Kepa.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Such a shame how its worked out with Sanchez, I firmly believe he was on a path to being one of the very best in the world and whilst being dropped once might have been good for him after a few mistakes, doing it twice had no reason to it other than to very publicly reject him. Contrary to all the slagging off on here, when he was dropped he didn't immediately throw a strop, he was on the bench for two full months, and when he got back in the side two months later he was exceptional, in the win at Chelsea and then a clean sheet in the Cup semi-final including one of the best saves I've seen live. And was then dropped again. At that point he obviously realised RDZ wanted nothing to do with him and I'd challenge anyone to be content in that situation. And still we haven't had him mouthing off to the press, just a behind closed-doors conversation with RDZ where they agreed it was better for everyone that he moves on. Fantastic keeper at every single part of the game, great shot stopper, confident in the air, good with his feet, a tough character who belongs in the premier league. RDZ wants his keeper to be exceptional with the ball at his feet, which rules out 99% of keepers out there, and that's absolutely fine, but when he moves on and we stop playing his style, we'll more than likely be left with a keeper who's not as good as the one we're letting go.

And it all makes me sad
He wasn’t dropped twice though. It was made clear that going forward he was to be second choice in the league and be the cup keeper. Steele had performed that role for a number of seasons and played in the Premier League when Sanchez was suspended. He knew he’d only be in for that game.

The same applies for Bob and the Chelsea game, he was only playing because Steele was injured. Such is the life of the second choice keeper. Steele had done nothing to warrant being dropped. Wether Sanchez agreed with having to step out of the team again or not his job is to train hard, wait for his next chance and play well again and give the manager a real selection problem.

However he chose to do the opposite, effectively refused to make himself available for selection and left the team in the lurch with only a rookie goalkeeper as cover at the busiest and most important time of the season. He potentially put the skids under our chances of European qualification, thankfully it didn’t come back and bite us, but refusing to play/be selected is a slap in the face of his team mates, the club and our fans who until that point had always backed him despite his odd blip on the pitch.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Deal is £25m and a sell on percentage.

I know Chelsea are flush with cash but that’s an unbelievable amount for us to get for what is a third choice keeper.

He had potential but his ability was questionable. Off the top of my head I can think of the goals against Man United, Liverpool and Palace (all away) where his ability under the high ball cost us a goal. His attitude is also clearly very poor.

This is a tremendous deal, covers the cost of our new keeper with millions left over. In Bloom we trust indeed!

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
At any time in any game he would lose his temper and his concentration.
What I noticed was that it seemed when he made a mistake, or otherwise suffered some perceived injustice from the ref, he seemed unable to just let that go and get on with it. He seemed to dwell on it and let it distract him. It wasn't that he made the occasional mistake, everybody does that, it's that when he did let it eat him up and was prone to following up quickly with another boneheaded mistake.

Still, he was very good for us for a while and it's a shame it ended like this. Still £20m is about twice what I thought we might get for him at this point, so that's good business.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I wish him the best, except against us, and hope he sorts his attitude out.

However, if he didn’t want to sit on the bench here, why’s he going to Chelsea? I like Big Bob, but Kepa is better.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
That’s incredible money for Sanchez. We’d have been pretty much giving him away in 6 weeks if they hadn’t been Interested.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Who doesn't like $$$?
I guess, but I thought his strop here was about not playing? I don’t see how his situation has changed except that he’s a bit richer and can rekindle his Ben Roberts bromance.

Delighted that we got £25 million for him though. Maybe the padding on the bench is better at Chelsea? I bet it takes up an entire tier too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unless we are told otherwise, didn’t he down tools and effectively refuse to be on the bench? (had we needed him)

Refusing to play / not giving the required effort is the biggest sin in football in my book.

Happy to revisit if there’s more to than that, but don’t recall reading to the contrary other than a strop and refusing to play
I think all that has been reported (apart from rhetoric on NSC) is that he asked not to be included in the squad to sit on the bench. Never heard any viable report that he would refuse to resume his place between the sticks should Steele become unavailable for selection.
As for not joining in with training, in the circumstances that is just as likely due to instructions from the club as anything else. Unhappy player wanting to leave? - don't come in and train with the squad. Pretty standard, I would think.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I guess, but I thought his strop here was about not playing? I don’t see how his situation has changed except that he’s a bit richer and can rekindle his Ben Roberts bromance.

Delighted that we got £25 million for him though. Maybe the padding on the bench is better at Chelsea? I bet it takes up an entire tier too.
If it is anything like their dressing room, it will have been extended last year.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think all that has been reported (apart from rhetoric on NSC) is that he asked not to be included in the squad to sit on the bench. Never heard any viable report that he would refuse to resume his place between the sticks should Steele become unavailable for selection.
As for not jioining in with training, in the circumstances that is just as likely due to instructions from the club as anything else. Unhappy player wanting to leave? - don't come in and train with the squad. Pretty standard, I would think.
Pretty bad in itself though. What if Steele had got injured during one of those games?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports