[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
if any of us did that at work we’d be sacked. now i’m aware that’s apples and oranges, but i hardly think anyone at the club owes him any endearing loyalty. fans say time and again that all most of them want is for players to give their best for the badge on the front of their shirt. that clearly hasn’t happened here.
I’d imagine the way Roberto screams at some players during matches would get him sacked in any normal job as well

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Bye bye Bob. Great bit of business for a stroppy fool.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Have to say, that is a VERY good price for a player who's refused to play for us.
With Kepa, Chelsea have one of the biggest Dickhead-Keepers in world football. They know how to manage them now and keep their egos in check. It’s a great price for them too. He is a top 10 keeper IMHO.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Such a shame how its worked out with Sanchez, I firmly believe he was on a path to being one of the very best in the world and whilst being dropped once might have been good for him after a few mistakes, doing it twice had no reason to it other than to very publicly reject him. Contrary to all the slagging off on here, when he was dropped he didn't immediately throw a strop, he was on the bench for two full months, and when he got back in the side two months later he was exceptional, in the win at Chelsea and then a clean sheet in the Cup semi-final including one of the best saves I've seen live. And was then dropped again. At that point he obviously realised RDZ wanted nothing to do with him and I'd challenge anyone to be content in that situation. And still we haven't had him mouthing off to the press, just a behind closed-doors conversation with RDZ where they agreed it was better for everyone that he moves on. Fantastic keeper at every single part of the game, great shot stopper, confident in the air, good with his feet, a tough character who belongs in the premier league. RDZ wants his keeper to be exceptional with the ball at his feet, which rules out 99% of keepers out there, and that's absolutely fine, but when he moves on and we stop playing his style, we'll more than likely be left with a keeper who's not as good as the one we're letting go.

And it all makes me sad

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
12 months ago I would have been horrified, now it seems about right.
Amazing what one horrific error can do.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Such a shame how its worked out with Sanchez, I firmly believe he was on a path to being one of the very best in the world and whilst being dropped once might have been good for him after a few mistakes, doing it twice had no reason to it other than to very publicly reject him. Contrary to all the slagging off on here, when he was dropped he didn't immediately throw a strop, he was on the bench for two full months, and when he got back in the side two months later he was exceptional, in the win at Chelsea and then a clean sheet in the Cup semi-final including one of the best saves I've seen live. And was then dropped again. At that point he obviously realised RDZ wanted nothing to do with him and I'd challenge anyone to be content in that situation. And still we haven't had him mouthing off to the press, just a behind closed-doors conversation with RDZ where they agreed it was better for everyone that he moves on. Fantastic keeper at every single part of the game, great shot stopper, confident in the air, good with his feet, a tough character who belongs in the premier league. RDZ wants his keeper to be exceptional with the ball at his feet, which rules out 99% of keepers out there, and that's absolutely fine, but when he moves on and we stop playing his style, we'll more than likely be left with a keeper who's not as good as the one we're letting go.

And it all makes me sad
How very dewy eyed and forgiving you are.

If he was drawing wages he should not be making himself unavailable. If he stopped drawing them I’d agree with you, but I’m sure he didn’t.

We don’t need bad apples like that around the squad imo. Yes he was good, yes he may turn out to be great but he doesn’t pick the team.

We are well shot of him

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008

And it all makes me sad
I respectfully disagree, when Sanchez burst onto the scene for us he performed exceptionally well but his consistency took a noticable dip. He's still relatively young for a keeper, but his seemingly relaxed attitude would not have propeled him to being one of the best in the world. Most of this happened pre RDZ, and throwing a paddy just because you're not starting anymore is highly unprofessional.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
25 million is great value for a player who acted like a cock. Let's see him sit on the bench

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
...when he was dropped... And was then dropped again. At that point he obviously realised RDZ wanted nothing to do with him...

Isn't that called squad rotation though? There can only be one GK on the pitch and Steele did not give reasons to be dropped. I wouldn't go as far as saying he was not wanted.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Puts him in the top ten most expensive keeper transfers ever.

I'd say that is splendid business. I was expecting £15m. That's why I don't negotiate Albion transfers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

And it all makes me sad
As I understand it, he refused to sit on the bench.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe, he might have forced his way back if he hadn’t thrown a strop here. Anyway at Chelsea he’s sure to find lots more like minded Prima Donnas to moan with if he’s not first choice :smile:
Not sure he would - or could - have. De Zerbi was pretty clear that Steele was his new no.1, for the season. In the circumstances, Sanchez might well have felt he'd been thrown under the bus (in spite of a deafening shouts of derision fron NSCers - who weren't there - that he wasn't!) If/when he gets to Chelsea he may well find that what Poch has done (same as Potter probably would have done had he still been there) is to show most of said Prima Donnas out of the door.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports