Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Perhaps because he was aggrieved?

Not yet, AFAIK, but sadly he is likely to do so soon. Probably not a fan of vitriol on a fans' internet site...............
Aggrieved ? So it’s fine for a professional player to behave in such a way is it when he has been dropped ?

Happens to every single player at some point so not sure why he should think he is special.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Perhaps because he was aggrieved?

Not yet, AFAIK, but sadly he is likely to do so soon. Probably not a fan of vitriol on a fans' internet site...............
However good he was or could be and yes I thought he was good, downing tools is unforgivable and yet it seems you think it’s justified. That is just odd to me :shrug:

Why do you keep defending his actions? Genuinely interested.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
However good he was or could be and yes I thought he was good, downing tools is unforgivable and yet it seems you think it’s justified. That is just odd to me :shrug:

As a supporter, ‘downing tools’ is the second worst thing a player can do IMO….

The worst is playing and literally not trying…… (in case anyone is interested).

For both of the above, it is an extremely long journey back - for me anyway.

As good as he is, he can do one, reckon West Ham would be a good location.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
I'm not sure there's even the possibility of that. There's very few clubs that need a GK at the kind of level he's ego would satisfy. Just don't see where he's going unless he is happy to sit on the bench. When you think Bournemouth had two GKs last season that would be competing for a first team spot here it makes it pretty clear how difficult it is in that position. Sadly for both club and player his tantrum has f***ed it.
I think there’s every chance he’s loaned out next season - he still has a few years on his contract here (assuming we have a one-year option too) so there’s time for him to go and play at a decent level and re-establish himself and in turn aid our chances of recouping a bit more when the time comes to sell. It won’t be in the PL and he’ll have to suck that up but there are other options out there, even potentially European-level on the continent.

I’ll back the club the find to best solution for him and us, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it’s a loan.

Last edited:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Fine. If that's the way you see it. :shrug:

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate the guy, when he was willing to play for us, he was, on the whole, excellent.

But with a new coach coming in, the ask of any player can change. I suspected there were problems when RDZ said publicly in a presser something along the lines of “it is worth Robert listening to Ricard”, suggesting that there was some conflict between how Ricard wanted to coach Sanchez and Sanchez’s willingness to take the changes on board.

It’s clear that losing Ben Roberts with little notice was a shock for Robert, but professionalism dictates that you step back, collect yourself, then give it your best to get your head around what the new coach wants.

It’s clear that for whatever reason, Steele’s adaptation was faster. It’s also clear that Sanchez threw his toys out the pram after not regaining his spot permanently after one good performance.

For me, the extended nature of the sulk, the way he doubled down on making himself unavailable, makes it difficult for him to come back to us here, we’ll be waiting for the next diva moment.

I absolutely wish him well, he’s a good keeper, but I personally believe a fresh start would be best all round. If he chooses to stay then we’ve got another good keeper, but it’s going to take a long time to rebuild trust.

Heart and Soul

Jul 7, 2023
Think we will try to sell him for the next month and if nothing happens he might go on a loan (Spain?). Good keeper but might have overestimated the numbers and size of interested buyers.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It may be as simple as Steele having worked under a number of goalkeeping coaches before Roberts and so being used to adapting to that change.

For Sanchez it would be the first time he's experienced that. Probably the truth is both parties (him and coaching staff) could have handled it better than it has been.

Doesn’t make the downing of tools less excusable though.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This all seems to generate far more emotion in some on here than it does in me.

Sanchez's first half season and second full season was largely brilliant. Superb shot stopping and unrivalled (in PL terms) domination of his six yard box. Remember that cross on the penalty spot he claimed when we were holding on to a one goal lead at Anfield (back in the days when beating Liverpool wasn't so routine)? He was excellent that year. Of note, of course, was that it was the COVID season, with no spectators in stadiums. Maybe it's easier not to be nervous if it feels like a training game in front of an empty arena.

His subsequent seasons never quite reached that peak. While there were few out and out clangers- Palace away last season springs to mind, plus some dropped or missed crosses here and there- he just seemed to have dropped a level ever since that year. Maty Ryan developed a reputation for conceding goals that just made you wonder if he might have done better. For not making the brilliant saves that a top class keeper does, and for me, Sanchez had started to go the same way. The stats backed this up- he dropped right down the league table of keepers in the PL for goals prevented compared to the quality of chances.

I was terrified when Steele got in the side, but he's more than justified it, and the only game where his performance dropped was Everton at home- but then whose performance didn't that day? If Sanchez expected Steele to be dropped after one bad game, then he needed to look at his own performances- there were plenty of times when I felt he might have been dropped himself if we'd had an obvious replacement to hand (as Steele amazingly turned out to be).

Clearly the club are planning for Sanchez to go by signing Verbruggen. Personally I hope he finds another club sooner rather than later, that we make a good £20 million (at least) for him, and everyone's happy.

(I really wanted him to go to Chelsea and screw them over in the same way as Cucurella has by contributing to their decline)

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
This has basically turned into a Dutch auction, waiting for a club to pull the trigger.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
As far as I'm concerned, just like Maty Ryan a good keeper lost the ability to consistently make saves. He got recalled when Jason Steele was injured against Chelsea and let in a pathetic goal- there was no way back after
That was an obscene deflection off Dunk I think. Whatever you think of Sanchez’s attitude, which I agree with you on, the Chelsea goal was not his fault!

Jimmy Grimble

Has he even been back at Brighton yet ? Missing from all pre season pictures
He was in Rockwater on Thursday having what looked like a pretty serious conversation with Calderon.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Which means there are perhaps only two teams in the PL for which he struggles to be first choice keeper on the basis of playing style (and all other things being equal); us and Man City.
Liverpool - Alisson (No chance)
Man Utd - De Gea (unlikely)
Arsenal - Ramsdale (No chance)
Spurs - Guglielmo ( just signed so no chance)
Chelsea - Kepa (possible although unlikely)
West Ham - Fabiański ( unlikely as they are looking to sign another keeper who isn’t Sanchez)
Aston Villa - Martínez ( no chance)
Brentford - Raya (Zero chance unless they sell Raya and then a possible)
Everton - Pickford (No chance)
Newcastle - Pope ( zero chance)
Man City - Don’t be silly

As for the rest all a maybe although so far no interest as far as we know.
Personally some on here have vastly over rated Sanchez and he would struggle to dislodge any of the above.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Mainly I'm defending him against the idiots now blabbing that he was no good anyway, couldn't collect crosses or command his area, gave me kittens every time the ball came near him bollocks.
I also think that when he was recalled for those two matches, including Wembley, in which he didn't put a foot wrong (OK, he didn't save a penalty - but neither did de Gea!) he might well have thought he was still the no.1 GK, had had his wake up call and had done enough to win his place back - only to be thrown under the bus (in his view at least) by RDZ. Personally I think he has a point there.
Others may - and obviously do - disagree.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Liverpool - Alisson (No chance)
Man Utd - De Gea (unlikely)
Arsenal - Ramsdale (No chance)
Spurs - Guglielmo ( just signed so no chance)
Chelsea - Kepa (possible although unlikely)
West Ham - Fabiański ( unlikely as they are looking to sign another keeper who isn’t Sanchez)
Aston Villa - Martínez ( no chance)
Brentford - Raya (Zero chance unless they sell Raya and then a possible)
Everton - Pickford (No chance)
Newcastle - Pope ( zero chance)
Man City - Don’t be silly

As for the rest all a maybe although so far no interest as far as we know.
Personally some on here have vastly over rated Sanchez and he would struggle to dislodge any of the above.
Can’t argue with any of that but I was making a slightly different point. Sanchez was dropped because of his distribution and that is only a factor at Brighton and Man City.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here