Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think it was that one fumble at Smellhurst Park that lost him his place to be fair, there had been several instgances where he had made unforced errors before that, so dropping the ball at Palace was probably just one instance too many.

Silly boy though, if only he has bitten his lip, eaten humble pie,and put in a shift on the training ground, he may well have forced his way back into the starting line up by now.

No one player is ever bigger than the club, so many excellent players have fallen foul of that fact over the years.
Maybe in his performance in the two matches for which he was recalled, including that excellent performance at Wembley, he thought he'd done just that.
He played in the quarter final and semi final of the FA Cup. The latter at Wembley and on television.
Maybe he feels aggrieved that by keeping a clean sheet for 90 minutes, he deserved to be in the starting line up? Who knows?
This. Being dropped again after that might well have felt like being shoved under the bus. Young keeper, established number 1 at a club on the up, clearly with a good relationship with the defenders in front of him, called up for his national team squad, with one cap already and the world his oyster; new manager comes along and doesn't like the way he plays ........................ well, I'd certainly be pissed off, and I suspect anybody who says different ...... well, I'll say no more!

Last edited:

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Better option is to keep him on the books as an asset but send him out on loan possibly abroad somewhere (Spain?) to get him playing again, rebuild his confidence and regain some of his potential resale value.

He isn't a bad goalkeeper, hes just misguided at the moment.Gently move him away from the squad, let him mature a little and then review.
Mamardashvili is strongly rumoured to be leaving Valencia and a loan move like that to La Liga would be ideal for Sanchez to rebuild his career and his value.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Maybe in his performance in the two matches for which he was recalled, including that excellent performance at Wembley, he thought he'd done just that.

This. Being dropped again after that might well have felt like being shoved under the bus. Young keeper, established number 1 at a club on the up, clearly with a good relationship with the defenders in front of him, called up for his national team squad, with one cap already and the world his oyster; new manager comes along and doesn't like the way he plays ........................ well, I'd certainly be pissed off, and I suspect anybody who says different ...... well, I'll say no more!
I disagree with this.
Firstly, RDZ had Sanchez as his no1 for 6 months.
Secondly, had he not been dropped as our 1st choice then Steele would have likely been in goal for the cup anyway. Had Steele then had a blinder at Wembley would he or we have expected him to start tin the EPL? No, we wouldn’t. So why is it different the other way around?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I disagree with this.
Firstly, RDZ had Sanchez as his no1 for 6 months.
Secondly, had he not been dropped as our 1st choice then Steele would have likely been in goal for the cup anyway. Had Steele then had a blinder at Wembley would he or we have expected him to start tin the EPL? No, we wouldn’t. So why is it different the other way around?
OK - I disagree with you. :shrug:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This one is going to run and run. I have a lot of sympathy for Sanchez, even if many others don't.

If in the middle of last season you had set up a poll ranking Sanchez versus other prem league goalkeepers for his distribution, I think most people would have rated him quite highly. There would have been quite a few, too many close shaves playing it out for my liking comments, but the same would likely still apply to Jason Steele. RDZ made his decision that Steele would be better and stuck to it. On balance it added an extra dimension to our game, but there were also a couple of league games where we took a bit of a thumping. Sanchez made that awful blunder against Palace, but would maybe have backed himself to have saved some of the goals that Steele let in and may therefore have been disappointed not to regain his place in the side.

I said at the time that this decision would mean we were likely to be looking for another keeper. It isn't just Sanchez who is impacted. I am sure Carl Rushworth is also wondering about his future. If Rushworth is sent out on loan, where can he spend the season developing into the sort of keeper RDZ wants, especially with a £20m younger keeper just having been signed. If they keep him at the club and work extensively with him on his distribution, will that really benefit his all round development as a keeper?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He played in the quarter final and semi final of the FA Cup. The latter at Wembley and on television.
Maybe he feels aggrieved that by keeping a clean sheet for 90 minutes, he deserved to be in the starting line up? Who knows?
Well if indeed that was the reason, (and you are right, no one knows what goes on behind the scenes), going on strike wasn't the answer.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Nonsense revisionsim. Went to the World Cup with Spain. We are not talking about a couple of caps for Gibraltar.
45 minutes in a friendly and 15 minutes in a dead rubber qualifier is not really my definition of international.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I can't see him going on the US tour, more likely to be left sulking at home.

I reckon he'll be shipped out on deadline day.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

I am sure after that 5 goal debacle against Everton he thought he would be back in.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
45 minutes in a friendly and 15 minutes in a dead rubber qualifier is not really my definition of international.
I bet it was before he got dropped and NSC revised its collective opinion of Sanchez, our formerly highly praised young GK!.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can't see him going on the US tour, more likely to be left sulking at home.

I reckon he'll be shipped out on deadline day.
I can't see him going on the tour either - he'll be at home, for sure, looking for a club and a manager that rates him more than De Zerbi does.

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
But when he first came in to the side he was claiming everything. I'm not sure what changed?
He gave the Centre Backs playing in front of him a big confidence boost. I think Dunk & Co had had enough of playing the last ditch style of defending that involved throwing themselves all over the place, that typified our defending in the first 2-3 years in the Prem.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I think Sanchez is a class keeper. An absolute beast. The error v Palace was because he lost concentration as they were so piss poor all game.

Jason Steele has surprised me though. Deserves the No.1 spot. Fantastic performances and got the RdZ sweeper keeper thing down to a tee. Brilliant. That error for the Webster own goal vs Newport almost forgotten - he did save some pens in that game though.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Mamardashvili is strongly rumoured to be leaving Valencia and a loan move like that to La Liga would be ideal for Sanchez to rebuild his career and his value.
He'll get plenty of goalkeeping practice there. They were abysmal last season and don't really look like they'll improve at all next year either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here