[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In January there was talk of £50 million! We would be absolutely insane to let an international keeper under contract go for less than £10 million.
Even if he’s going to sit at home or mope around on the training ground sulking?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is he really a step up from de Gea? Probably not but his wages will definitely be far less.
If you want your keeper to be able to play with his feet, my dog would be a step up from de Gea.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I would fear for him in the pressure cooker of Old Trafford. One or two of his funnier moments and it could be a long way back.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That's my point he hasn't become a bad player and yet suddenly, he was shite at claiming crosses, kicking and stopping the ball!!

Assuming, it is an internal matter of which nobody knows the facts, (granted I'd be amazed if 2+2 doesn't equal 4 on this one) he has made a decision detrimental to the club, that's between him and them, and very little to do with what had happened on the pitch.
Quite how anyone can write 'he never made a great save' is mind-blowing.

We don't get into Europe without Sanchez, in much the same way we don't stay in the EPL without Stephen's, Ryan, Propper, Duffy et al and none of them could kick a ball. We don't move above palace without Maupay's goals, yet he could never score.

If Dunk singed for palace tomorrow by Monday he'd be no loss because 'all his own goals' & 'not a leader'
I would fear for him in the pressure cooker of Old Trafford. One or two of his funnier moments and it could be a long way back.
Thought he was decent at Wembley and Chelsea, RDZ didn’t trust him after the Palace fumble why that escalated to the way it has only those in house know.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In January there was talk of £50 million! We would be absolutely insane to let an international keeper under contract go for less than £10 million.
International keeper is a bit of a stretch

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Manure’s number one. I’d like that a lot.
I wonder if United fans will appreciate that they will effectively be getting a younger version of De Gea? Capable of some great shot stopping but prone to unforced errors.

Sorry but good riddance to him after his poor attitude. Even if ends up again warming the bench I'm sure smug Bob will love the kudos of playing for United and of course the wages.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Even if he’s going to sit at home or mope around on the training ground sulking?
I think so. It's bad management to reward that in my opinion. We can get more than £10 million for a quality Premier League goalkeeper.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Thought he was decent at Wembley and Chelsea, RDZ didn’t trust him after the Palace fumble why that escalated to the way it has only those in house know.
I think it may have been intended as a couple of matches rest initially after the Palace cock up but Jason Steele grabbed his chance with both feet, don’t know about you but I was very pleasantly surprised by how well he did. He deserved to keep the shirt imo.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think it may have been intended as a couple of matches rest initially after the Palace cock up but Jason Steele grabbed his chance with both feet, don’t know about you but I was very pleasantly surprised by how well he did. He deserved to keep the shirt imo.
Bart was talking like he was the now the No.1, if true that’s harsh on Steele as agree he was decent and better playing out than Sanchez despite a couple of dodgy moments, commands the box better than Sanchez IMO.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Bart was talking like he was the now the No.1, if true that’s harsh on Steele as agree he was decent and better playing out than Sanchez despite a couple of dodgy moments, commands the box better than Sanchez IMO.

Some of Steele's positioning looked a bit suspect, but overall he was good.

I'd guess Steele remains our Premier League No1 and Bart gets the cup matches, at least for this season.

But if Steele's form dips, roles will reverse.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don't think it was that one fumble at Smellhurst Park that lost him his place to be fair, there had been several instgances where he had made unforced errors before that, so dropping the ball at Palace was probably just one instance too many.

Silly boy though, if only he has bitten his lip, eaten humble pie,and put in a shift on the training ground, he may well have forced his way back into the starting line up by now.

No one player is ever bigger than the club, so many excellent players have fallen foul of that fact over the years.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes. The bigger picture is that if you allow a player under long term contract to leave on the cheap because they have behaved in this way then others will also try it on. The cheaper the sale price the more that can be negotiated in wages. Remember this is what it is about from the players.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I don't think it was that one fumble at Smellhurst Park that lost him his place to be fair, there had been several instgances where he had made unforced errors before that, so dropping the ball at Palace was probably just one instance too many.

Silly boy though, if only he has bitten his lip, eaten humble pie,and put in a shift on the training ground, he may well have forced his way back into the starting line up by now.

No one player is ever bigger than the club, so many excellent players have fallen foul of that fact over the years.
I think Bob was dropped because he can't pass the ball forward at speed anywhere near as well as Steele. Bob usually looked for the relatively short pass to one of the Centre Backs whereas JS could pick out a central or wide midfielder breaking lines with much more intensity. People can knock Steeles saving ability (I dont see the issue myself) but no one can deny our use of him as a playmaker improved the quality of our build up play significantly. FWIW I think Jason will start as no 1 with Bart on cup and Euro duty, and then as soon as Steele gives any reason to change that RDZ will take it and their roles will flip.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

He played in the quarter final and semi final of the FA Cup. The latter at Wembley and on television.
Maybe he feels aggrieved that by keeping a clean sheet for 90 minutes, he deserved to be in the starting line up? Who knows?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes. The bigger picture is that if you allow a player under long term contract to leave on the cheap because they have behaved in this way then others will also try it on. The cheaper the sale price the more that can be negotiated in wages. Remember this is what it is about from the players.
When was the last time any club relegated a first team player to training alone and refused to let them leave when they went “rogue” and hung out for a full value transfer?

I genuinely don’t remember one at any club. Better to cut your losses than have a bad apple hanging around in the squad imo. Imagine a couple of years of a sulky player in the first team squad, not going to happen. Sanchez will either be sent out on loan or sold cheaply imo.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
'...and kept a clean sheet against United for 120 minutes of their FA Cup semi-final.'
Virtually a done deal then! While it's factually correct, that's a bit of an odd thing to add into the article :lol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is he really a step up from de Gea? Probably not but his wages will definitely be far less.
He is now! De Gea on the way down, Big Bob still young with pronise of more to come.

This would be a good move for United and for Sanchez - and for us if the fee was £30M (though I think that is more than a little hopeful). Good to read that he is a good passer of the ball (which he is) - the authors of that article have obviosly not been reading NSC though! Let's hope this Verbruggen lad turns out to be an absilute world-class ace - I still feel losing Sanchez is just that though - our loss.

kjgood

Better option is to keep him on the books as an asset but send him out on loan possibly abroad somewhere (Spain?) to get him playing again, rebuild his confidence and regain some of his potential resale value.

He isn't a bad goalkeeper, hes just misguided at the moment.Gently move him away from the squad, let him mature a little and then review.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports