Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Sanchez hopeless at crosses and doesnt seem to be improving in that area either. We went through a phase of looking like we would concede from every set piece/corner.

Wasn't he one of the best in the PL in the first half of last season for dealing with crosses? That was one of his strong points.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I fear he has shot himself in the foot big time with his sulky childish behaviour at the end of last season. A footballer’s career is relatively short but not summed up by his behaviour on being dropped after below par performances. If fighting for your place is not your thing you may be in the wrong job :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I fear he has shot himself in the foot big time with his sulky childish behaviour at the end of last season. A footballer’s career is relatively short but not summed up by his behaviour on being dropped after below par performances. If fighting for your place is not your thing you may be in the wrong job :shrug:
Looking at it another way, he has fallen out with a manager who has already fallen out with another player and only been at the club for 9 months.

My point being is we do not know exactly what has gone on. who is to blame (if anyone) etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a shame that for a fair few, on here, there's no way they can love a player without hating who he replaced.
We then have to put up with poisonous hyperbole in order to validate the lies.
And inaccuracies about his age!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Agree, there's some utter nonsense on this thread, it's hilarious how opinions on the quality of players change as soon as they leave/try to leave.

"Sanchez is poor at receiving crosses" - erm, this was one of the reasons he was brought in to replace Ryan, as he was very comfortable with crosses.

"Not good enough for top half PL, worth less than 10m" - well he did pretty well for over a season at that level and was making a good impression on the Spanish national team. A few months back he could have been worth 30m+ if he carried on at the same level.

He's an excellent keeper, and is young. He has the potential to play CL football in my opinion, if he gains a bit of humility and gets his head down wherever he ends up next.

He just hasn't fit what RDZ wanted, both technically and in terms of attitude apparently. Whereas Steele has been more than adequate technically and exceptional in attitude.

I think I should point out that my comments on his football ability were tongue in cheek (hence the wink). He is certainly a very good, young athletic keeper and if he had got his head down when dropped and concentrated on his weaknesses, I believe he could have turned the situation around quite quickly. At this level, so much is psychological rather than a question of skills.

Unfortunately, the route he went down meant RDZ had to comment on why he wasn't in the squad, rather than just calling it 'a loss of form'. And now he has highlighted the area (passing with the ball at his feet) a few people have agreed.

Big Bob still has the ability to be a top top keeper, but he has to take criticism on board and learn from it. We spend a lot of money employing people who are very good at helping players improve weaknesses in their game. I think it still is all in Bob's hands (or, more accurately, his head) how he progresses from here :shrug:

In contrast, Wee Billy said that when he couldn't get into the team ahead of AliMac, Moises and Pascal, he studied what they were doing intently in training and matches and worked really hard on trying to do the same. I think he will do well :thumbsup:

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
As an aside, assuming Sanchez would be willing to sit on the bench for a moneybags big name club.

Luis Enrique rumoured to be moving from Spain NT to the PSG job.

Enrique is the one who introduced Sanchez to the Spain squad. PSG second choice GK is Sergio Rico who is recovering in hospital from a serious head injury after falling from a horse. Keylor Navas seems to be out of the picture for them.

I wonder if PSG might be a possible one?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Looking at it another way, he has fallen out with a manager who has already fallen out with another player and only been at the club for 9 months.

My point being is we do not know exactly what has gone on. who is to blame (if anyone) etc.
Going from what I've been told he brought it on himself

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
No idea what went on behind the scenes, but on the pitch Sanchez was a major part of our best ever season. I would be very happy if he stuck with us and battled for his place - we probably need 2 quality keepers for the two games a week season ahead and Sanchez more than good enough to be one of them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think theres a lot of revisionism around Sanchez. I remember before Palace, criticising him for making too many errors, only to be shouted down by half the forum for unfair criticism.

But now the discussion seems to have gone so far that we aren’t willing to acknowledge his strengths. He’s good with his feet, he’s just not Steele with his feet. He’s an excellent shot stopper and saved us many points with saves that Steele wouldn’t have made. He also used to be very good at claiming crosses and controlling his box (but seemed to lose that over time for some reason) and had a great understanding with Dunk in particular.
Agree, there's some utter nonsense on this thread, it's hilarious how opinions on the quality of players change as soon as they leave/try to leave.

"Sanchez is poor at receiving crosses" - erm, this was one of the reasons he was brought in to replace Ryan, as he was very comfortable with crosses.

"Not good enough for top half PL, worth less than 10m" - well he did pretty well for over a season at that level and was making a good impression on the Spanish national team. A few months back he could have been worth 30m+ if he carried on at the same level.

He's an excellent keeper, and is young. He has the potential to play CL football in my opinion, if he gains a bit of humility and gets his head down wherever he ends up next.

He just hasn't fit what RDZ wanted, both technically and in terms of attitude apparently. Whereas Steele has been more than adequate technically and exceptional in attitude.
Revionism on NSC? Shirley not! Can't happen! Next thing there'll be a herd instinct!

Seriously, 100% agree with the two post I've quoted from. Sadly, we're losing an excellent young GK - hope he finds a good move and does really well (except against us - when I hope he displays his full repertoire of dropped crosses, bad judgement, poor passing, arrogance, too casual, and all the other reasons sections of NSC have decided which prove he's crap! :facepalm:)

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It's a shame that for a fair few, on here, there's no way they can love a player without hating who he replaced.
We then have to put up with poisonous hyperbole in order to validate the lies.

Meanwhile, before each match next season we'll be watching highlight packages, all of which will include saves from Sanchez that helped elevate the squad into European competition.
I think that’s nonsense - sorry Stat.

It’s not about hatred at all. IMO Sanchez has proved to be a bit of a pillock currently, and his alleged behaviour was disappointing. That can’t be supported surely.
He hasn’t become a bad player, just a Wally.

As for his predecessor, personally I never rated him anyway, though appreciate you did.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

To be fair, he hasn’t denied anything RdZ has said about not wishing to be on the bench. Unless I’ve missed something….

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think that’s nonsense - sorry Stat.

It’s not about hatred at all. IMO Sanchez has proved to be a bit of a pillock currently, and his alleged behaviour was disappointing. That can’t be supported surely.
He hasn’t become a bad player, just a Wally.

As for his predecessor, personally I never rated him anyway, though appreciate you did.

Paid handsomely by the club, yet refused to join the match day squad.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...sed-to-sit-on-bench-against-arsenal-mq96l69hx

He’s no innocent being unfairly picked on for simply moving down the pecking order, he’s unprofessional, breaking his contract terms and letting his team mates down.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here