Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Trossard, most recently.
Trossard is a world class player when motivated, Sanchez, although very good is not currently. Makes Trossard much more desirable, even with potential attitude than Sanchez imo. A top team wanted Trossard, and if he hadn’t gone to Arsenal another would have stepped in I think. I don’t see a queue of them in for Sanchez :shrug:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If Sanchez wasn’t a BHA player would we be interested? That is the question we have to ask.

Would we say oh that fella who butter fingered it at Palace no thanks.

Or

Great keeper that hardly puts a foot wrong, great with his feet perfect keeper for us go for it Tony.

Personally I would probably be a bit a bit Meh and more so if the asking price was around £20m.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
If Sanchez wasn’t a BHA player would we be interested? That is the question we have to ask.

Or

Great keeper that hardly puts a foot wrong, great with his feet perfect keeper for us go for it Tony.

Personally I would probably be a bit a bit Meh and more so if the asking price was around £20m.
Sanchez hopeless at crosses and doesnt seem to be improving in that area either. We went through a phase of looking like we would concede from every set piece/corner.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Or

I normally play Devil's Advocate and sit on the fence too, but in this case it's very much the former for me.

I realise that he won't attract as big a fee as at the last transfer window, but a player who the manager doesn't believe fits into his system of play, then goes on strike soon after being dropped, and is arrogant with it, is massively detrimental to team morale and the togetherness that the club prides itself on.

All about the size of the fee though l agree, and we will need to bring in another experienced keeper too, to keep Jason on his toes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My take on this is he’s a young keeper, with a lot of potential, who has lost his way a bit. I think a fresh start somewhere else will benefit both sides. I wish him well and hope he is a huge success wherever this may be.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Looks like he’s with Welbeck & Oxlaide-Chamberlain in Portugal doing a ‘pre-pre season’
I kinda think, he has had time hopefully to reflect on his behaviour and his opportunities, he can't be that stupid to think he is flawless and the best there is, we have nurtured and helped him improve from a very young age, as a club we have been there for him, to help him become the player he is. I think he may have eaten some humble pie, and the lure of European football is something he may not get at another club, and lets be honest teams are not banging the door down trying to bring him in to their squad, I have heard or seen diddly squat.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
As well as the horror fumble at Palace, Bob has given the opposition numerous opportunities with dodgy passes over the time he was playing that he's been mostly lucky weren't capitalised on. He's a good but not great keeper, definitely an upgrade on Matty Ryan but not someone I can see many teams wanting to spend over £10m on.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Twom years left on his contract? Season long loan at a good level then - preferably mid/lower PL. Stellar season, contract extension and a cracking sale price.
Bloody good GK for any side that isn't obsessed with having a sweeper keeper.

Alisson and Ederson are also great with their feet, their exemplary passing is integral to team tactics.

It’s the way to go for teams playing a beautiful game.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I think theres a lot of revisionism around Sanchez. I remember before Palace, criticising him for making too many errors, only to be shouted down by half the forum for unfair criticism.

But now the discussion seems to have gone so far that we aren’t willing to acknowledge his strengths. He’s good with his feet, he’s just not Steele with his feet. He’s an excellent shot stopper and saved us many points with saves that Steele wouldn’t have made. He also used to be very good at claiming crosses and controlling his box (but seemed to lose that over time for some reason) and had a great understanding with Dunk in particular.

He’s also had a tantrum because he got dropped and that has lost him respect and transfer value.

He is absolutely good enough to be a mid-table PL goalie, for a team that doesn’t play sweeper keeper. Or an equivalent in La Liga if we have to loan him somewhere. There was a time when he and Raya were comparable but not really anymore. Sanchez is the bargain option - but who needs a new GK, maybe Wolves?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I think he will sign for Chelsea ,to be reunited with Roberts,for an “undisclosed “ sum.Perhaps Colwells loan will be part of the deal,as I don’t think we will be able to buy him.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I think theres a lot of revisionism around Sanchez. I remember before Palace, criticising him for making too many errors, only to be shouted down by half the forum for unfair criticism.

But now the discussion seems to have gone so far that we aren’t willing to acknowledge his strengths. He’s good with his feet, he’s just not Steele with his feet. He’s an excellent shot stopper and saved us many points with saves that Steele wouldn’t have made. He also used to be very good at claiming crosses and controlling his box (but seemed to lose that over time for some reason) and had a great understanding with Dunk in particular.

He’s also had a tantrum because he got dropped and that has lost him respect and transfer value.

He is absolutely good enough to be a mid-table PL goalie, for a team that doesn’t play sweeper keeper. Or an equivalent in La Liga if we have to loan him somewhere. There was a time when he and Raya were comparable but not really anymore. Sanchez is the bargain option - but who needs a new GK, maybe Wolves?
Agree, there's some utter nonsense on this thread, it's hilarious how opinions on the quality of players change as soon as they leave/try to leave.

"Sanchez is poor at receiving crosses" - erm, this was one of the reasons he was brought in to replace Ryan, as he was very comfortable with crosses.

"Not good enough for top half PL, worth less than 10m" - well he did pretty well for over a season at that level and was making a good impression on the Spanish national team. A few months back he could have been worth 30m+ if he carried on at the same level.

He's an excellent keeper, and is young. He has the potential to play CL football in my opinion, if he gains a bit of humility and gets his head down wherever he ends up next.

He just hasn't fit what RDZ wanted, both technically and in terms of attitude apparently. Whereas Steele has been more than adequate technically and exceptional in attitude.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a shame that for a fair few, on here, there's no way they can love a player without hating who he replaced.
We then have to put up with poisonous hyperbole in order to validate the lies.

Meanwhile, before each match next season we'll be watching highlight packages, all of which will include saves from Sanchez that helped elevate the squad into European competition.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
It's a shame that for a fair few, on here, there's no way they can love a player without hating who he replaced.
We then have to put up with poisonous hyperbole in order to validate the lies.

Meanwhile, before each match next season we'll be watching highlight packages, all of which will include saves from Sanchez that helped elevate the squad into European competition.

Blimey.

I don't think it needs to be that lofty or overwrought to be honest. There are tons of examples of that not happening.

Fans tend to turn on players when they act like a ballbag. It's not that radical. If he was just on the bench he wouldn't get a single mention.

When he was making those saves, he wasn't being a ballbag.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I think he will sign for Chelsea ,to be reunited with Roberts,for an “undisclosed “ sum.Perhaps Colwells loan will be part of the deal,as I don’t think we will be able to buy him.
I can’t see beyond Chelsea signing him at present…

1. Roberts is a big fan and has been pushing
2. Their main Twitter know-ins have said they’re going with Kepa as first choice and are looking for someone to challenge him. Their main financial outlays will be for a striker and a midfielder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here