Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
No one who would be looking to spend over £15m on a keeper wants him because he’s a lower prem league level player. I think he’ll go on loan abroad or get sold for £10m or less

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Even £10 million is a decent profit on a player who cost nothing but training and wages.

We should get a bit more but no need to hold out for an eye-watering fee. Best move him on.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Nobody ‘huge’ wants him as a starter. We’ll get like 4 million from a mid-table euro team or he’ll slink off to the bench of a big club (likely for similar money). If he wanted a huge payday and contract then he needed to fight and win back the starting job at ‘little ole Brighton’.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bad news for us if we can't offload him, might end up having to send him out on loan.
Even worse, he’d possibly refuse to go if it wasn’t to a bigger club than the Albion.

I’m sure TB, RDZ and PB will sort something, him sticking around without eating a massive portion of humble pie would be bad for everyone. Even then would you trust him to give his all?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think he’ll end up abroad (not USG).
Maybe Inter would take him if Chelsea want their No.1?

He is looked after by the same agency as Dunk, Lallana, Gilmour, Adingra and Boey. We surely have a good relationship with them and can make sure that all sides come out of his next move happy.

I still think he has massive potential and is one of the best keepers around. DeZerbiball is not quite his thing but I’m sure he’ll thrive at another club. He has a good 10 years ahead of him, let’s hope we get a decent fee.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Maybe Inter would take him if Chelsea want their No.1?

He is looked after by the same agency as Dunk, Lallana, Gilmour, Adingra and Boey. We surely have a good relationship with them and can make sure that all sides come out of his next move happy.

I still think he has massive potential and is one of the best keepers around. DeZerbiball is not quite his thing but I’m sure he’ll thrive at another club. He has a good 10 years ahead of him, let’s hope we get a decent fee.
Agree. His attitude is questionable based on what we know, however, it doesn’t make him a bad goalkeeper, and he is going to continue learning and improving.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Surely a lower placed, top league in Spain club would take a punt on him as a starter? Give us a low up front fee but a decent sell on. Far from ideal but maybe the best any party could hope for?

At this rate though I could see us loaning him just so he has value in a year’s time, with a one year deal remaining.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Agree. His attitude is questionable based on what we know, however, it doesn’t make him a bad goalkeeper, and he is going to continue learning and improving.
That attitude can be flipped. That intense and competitive desire to be No.1 might be seen as others as a strength. Yes, the toys came out of the pram but if you are a team signing him as your No.1, would you be that worried about his dislike of the bench? Especially as he was probably worth north of £30m prior to the tantrum and would now be cheaper (enough to cover the fee for the new Dutch stopper).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
That attitude can be flipped. That intense and competitive desire to be No.1 might be seen as others as a strength. Yes, the toys came out of the pram but if you are a team signing him as your No.1, would you be that worried about his dislike of the bench? Especially as he was probably worth north of £30m prior to the tantrum and would now be cheaper (enough to cover the fee for the new Dutch stopper).
I wouldn't call his behaviour an intense and competitive desire to be No.1. Yes, the toys came out of the pram, but he was prepared to throw his team mates, the club and the fans under a bus and put at risk qualification to Europe by downing tools. There was no benefit to anyone in that scenario. He showed no good qualities in himself, no integrity, no loyalty, no strength of character. There could be no positive outcome at that moment as he couldn't leave the club until after the season finished. And he missed one of the few opportunities in a short career to celebrate achieving something. Qualification to the Europa League was massive and he may never again have the chance to get on the pitch and enjoy such a moment again. I'd like to say that I hope he does, but frankly I don't care. Just want him out.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I wouldn't call his behaviour an intense and competitive desire to be No.1. Yes, the toys came out of the pram, but he was prepared to throw his team mates, the club and the fans under a bus and put at risk qualification to Europe by downing tools. There was no benefit to anyone in that scenario. He showed no good qualities in himself, no integrity, no loyalty, no strength of character. There could be no positive outcome at that moment as he couldn't leave the club until after the season finished. And he missed one of the few opportunities in a short career to celebrate achieving something. Qualification to the Europa League was massive and he may never again have the chance to get on the pitch and enjoy such a moment again. I'd like to say that I hope he does, but frankly I don't care. Just want him out.
I tend to agree. Competitiveness is, of course, a big part of player mindset at the top level. Losing his spot would have stung and not getting it back after we shipped 5 v Everton would have felt pretty grim, but from that point he stopped trying to get the no. 1 spot back. That's not competitiveness, that's petulance.

As you say, he cost himself the chance to be a part of some pretty enjoyable moments and let's not forget was also the goalkeeper for our trip to Wembley, so clearly was still in RDZ's plans at that point. I keep asking myself, what if Steele got injured after he downed tools? Would he then be happy to "play a part" again? Or would we have had to rely on the untested Tom McGill?

He placed an unnecessary focus on the GK position with his decision to walk out. Going into next season with Steele, Verbruggen, Steele, Rushworth, Beadle isn't a bad place to be.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Definitely. No one would be calling it competitiveness if we were playing Mcgee against Southampton because of an injury to Steele.

And while we're at it, if anyone thinks it looks OK, ask yourself if we do get that Bart fellow. And if he takes Steeles place next season. Do you think Steele would strlart crying and voluntarily go on strike as we enter into out most important run of games?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I tend to agree. Competitiveness is, of course, a big part of player mindset at the top level. Losing his spot would have stung and not getting it back after we shipped 5 v Everton would have felt pretty grim, but from that point he stopped trying to get the no. 1 spot back. That's not competitiveness, that's petulance.

As you say, he cost himself the chance to be a part of some pretty enjoyable moments and let's not forget was also the goalkeeper for our trip to Wembley, so clearly was still in RDZ's plans at that point. I keep asking myself, what if Steele got injured after he downed tools? Would he then be happy to "play a part" again? Or would we have had to rely on the untested Tom McGill?

He placed an unnecessary focus on the GK position with his decision to walk out. Going into next season with Steele, Verbruggen, Steele, Rushworth, Beadle isn't a bad place to be.
There is only one Jason Steele, he's no Kerry Mayo!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If nobody comes in and pay the asking price then we should absolutely be prepared to have him rotting in the under 23’s next season. The £25 million or so is worth the statement it makes to other players coming in- if you throw a strop it won’t work out for you. Do your time properly and we’ll help you get that big move.
I completely agree with this.

If he ends up being loaned to a middling continental side and that gets him a half decent move on a low fee, where's the disincentive for others to do similar?

I think we're best off taking it on the chin, paying him, just to shop or play golf or whatever he does and have him nowhere near the training ground.

Make an example of the lad. I don't enjoy saying it, but leaving us potentially short of a senior goalie during our most important run in for ages can't be forgiven.

Yes we'll lose money, but we'll lose more if we don't start to get a grip on this player habit we're getting of players stropping off to get a move.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Can see him going to United if De Gea leaves. Or as above possibly inter is Onana leaves.

If not I think he’s loaned to a mid table Spanish club like Celts Vigo or similar to be closer to home and not upset the dressing room

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Exactly this!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’d be worried that he may disrupt the wider team ethos if he didn’t get his own way, and the fact he apparently doesn’t like sitting on the bench, would be a concern. Perception is everything, and I kind of don’t agree about the attitude being ‘flipped’, because from the outside once it’s exposed, it’s ‘out there’, and he has it in his make-up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here