[News] Robert Fidler's Castle - Demolish or Let him keep it?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Fidler's Fort be ****ed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
It doesn't look out of place, he was a fool not to apply, as we probably would have got it.
He should apply retrospectively and hope that it is ok.
You go and knock these people's nose out of joint and they will want something in return, tit for tat.
Most of them haven't got a clue, but it seems that's a prerequisite to working for a council.
He was asking for it really.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It doesn't look out of place, he was a fool not to apply, as we probably would have got it.
He should apply retrospectively and hope that it is ok.
You go and knock these people's nose out of joint and they will want something in return, tit for tat.
Most of them haven't got a clue, but it seems that's a prerequisite to working for a council.
He was asking for it really.

Of course he's applied retrospectively.

He's gone through the local authority planning process retrospectively, a planning appeal to the secretary of state, that refusal decision challenged in the High Court, then that decision challenged in the appeal court.

This is way beyond the local authority, and went beyond them as soon as he put in a planning appeal.

As I pointed out earlier, the concentration is on this building not gaining planning approval, but neither would he have passed Building Regulations, so there will have been no inspection of foundations, damp courses, insulation, no approval of structural engineering, ventilation, standard details etc.

Most planning permissions also have planning conditions that need to be adhered to such as ground contamination surveys, ecological and biodiversity surveys, archeological, lifetime homes standards, BREEAM sustainable homes standards etc. etc.

This isn't just a building that has breached planning, it's breached just about everything you can in regard to building a house.

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Of course he's applied retrospectively!

He's gone through the local authority planning process retrospectively, a planning appeal to the secretary of state, that refusal decision challenged in the High Court, then that decision challenged in the appeal court.

This is way beyond the local authority, and went beyond them as soon as he put in a planning appeal.

As I pointed out earlier, the concentration is on this building not gaining planning approval, but neither would he have passed Building Regulations, so there will have been no inspection of foundations, damp courses, insulation, no approval of structural engineering, ventilation, standard details etc.

Most planning permissions also have planning conditions that need to be adhered to such as ground contamination surveys, ecological and biodiversity surveys, archeological, lifetime homes standards, BREEAM sustainable homes standards etc. etc.

This isn't just a building that has breached planning, it's breached just about everything you can in regard to building a house!

Keep your hair on, Christ, this board is becoming more aggressive everyday, 'reply rage' on the increase.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Bodiam Castle is still standing, I bet they didn't get planning permission.
He is wrong and should be treat as such, they should do all the tests required, at his expense, plus some, just to teach him and anyone else who tries a lesson.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Keep your hair on, Christ, this board is becoming more aggressive everyday, 'reply rage' on the increase.

Are you being a little sensitive, perhaps the use of explanation marks !! scares you a bit? Thought I was being informative rather than aggressive.

If I take out the 2 explanation marks at the start and end (done), is it less 'rage' for you? I can't read anything into it that is either angry, personal or signifying any kind of rage...:shrug:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Are you being a little sensitive, perhaps the use of explanation marks !! scares you a bit? Thought I was being informative rather than aggressive.

If I take out the 2 explanation marks at the start and end (done), is it less 'rage' for you? I can't read anything into it that is either angry, personal or signifying any kind of rage...:shrug:

Every other thread seems to deteriorate into mindlessness, aggression or name calling.
I am far from being 'scared' believe me, it takes a hell of a lot more than that, if anything at all.
Maybe it's a generation thing.

Of course he's applied retrospectively.

This isn't just a building that has breached planning, it's breached just about everything you can in regard to building a house.

Pretty much sums it up - I like this post.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I hate some of the idiots that get to vote on planning. I had a plot of land with outline PP, and applied for detailed plans. The planning officer recommended it be approved, the neighbours all complained as they didn't want anyone else having a house on their road. In the meeting, one of the councillors said (and although it was 10 years ago, I'll never forget it) "the detailed plans look better than the existing outline permission, but I must be missing something, so I propose we refuse it". I'm still in shock 10 years later. Predictably I won on appeal, and the council had to pay my costs too (idiots).

But despite knowing how stupid they can be, there are good reasons why we can't build what we like where we like. This guy has ignored the rules and deliberately tried to pull a fast one. He can't get planning permission, so he can't have it.

Haha, I feel for you. I'm working on one at the moment in Cornwall. It's been deferred for a second time and one of the planning committee literally said "we need to think of the Children"! There are no reasonable ground for refusal and it's costing taxpayers thousands.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Every other thread seems to deteriorate into mindlessness, aggression or name calling.
I am far from being 'scared' believe me, it takes a hell of a lot more than that, if anything at all.
Maybe it's a generation thing.

So was my post those things, I'm still non plussed on why you've responded like you have?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's amazing that these idiots have power.

I've been in some classic planning committee meetings over the years. There was one where on a residential street a child was killed once a month due to too much traffic. On another, the cliffs at Rottingdean are eroding at 10meters per year. There are councillors that don't know what elevations are, or that there remit is against planning policy, material planning considerations and the local plan, not their personal opinion. Due to the minority council year after year and the political concerns, Brighton is one of the worse, especially when the Tories have it. I don't mean that politically, just that Tory councillors do seem to be very much on the Nimby side of things.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I think all farms should be allowed to build at least one house close to the main farmhouse. We must begin to relax building regs.
There is a terrible housing crisis going on and it will get worse. Every village should be expanded by 10 percent. Office blocks that have been empty for 10 years should be converted into living space. Any houses that are emtpty for more than a year should be taken over and given to a housing charity. There is so much that needs to be done to sort out our housing problem. Discuss.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
The jobsworths have told him to knock it down, purely because, by following the letter of the law, they can. No reason other than a power trip for a few local government no marks, who wouldn't last 10 minutes in the private sector.

What a load of bollocks.

You've got a problem with someone (including the supreme court) applying the law? This pr!ck set out to cheat the system and got caught.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I love the way these polls have the questions weighted to obtain the desired outcome!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Every village should be expanded by 10 percent.

Riiiiight, every village? In every part of the country? And who's going to pay for the additional services all these rural little villages (schools, doctors surgeries etc) are going to need? And who's going to want to live in an expanded village in the middle of f'ing nowhere?

Office blocks that have been empty for 10 years should be converted into living space.

Planning rules have already been relaxed to enable these sort of conversions

Any houses that are emtpty for more than a year should be taken over and given to a housing charity.

Really? So you move abroad for work, can't find / don't want a tenant, stay longer than originally planned and come back to find your house has been sold from under you. You'd be happy with that would you? For the greater good and all.

I'm annoyed at myself for engaging with this, you're dangerously stupid.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Would you like it if someone bought the house next door to you, knocked it down and put a 20 storey office block in its place without seeking permission?

He can't even plead ignorance. He's a devious p1llock.

Now that would be a LOT of hay bales, but get your point - I think without a man here, if this was in your back yard we would all be NIMBY's. However, it is not in anyone's back yard but his own and that of his farm.

At the same time, the man clearly has no taste as is clearly demonstrated by his attire when turning up for court! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports