[News] Robert Fidler's Castle - Demolish or Let him keep it?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Fidler's Fort be ****ed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
He knew exactly what he was doing - he set out to get something he knew he wasn't ordinarily entitled to get and when he got caught he plays the innocent cheeky chappie card and people fall for it. If he is now allowed to keep is castle then that makes it that little bit more difficult for planning authorities to resist the wave of similar development proposals that would follow.

The point about the Green Belt and planning is that it protects everyone. Imagine if people were allowed to build whatever they liked wherever they liked, we'd soon all be wanting a system that controlled development and provided some modicum of consistency. That doesn't mean all types of developments are treated exactly the same - our system gives some priority to agriculturally related development, which is why he has some development on the site (and is why a lot of people like him buy isolated farms/plots of land) but that doesn't mean he can then build a house there. If he 'needed' a house to serve the agricultural operations then if he could have simply applied for it. Most councils use independent surveyors to advise them whether the operations do actually need and can support a new house!

Whilst he may not have broken the law by building the house without planning permission he most certainly did break the law once he failed to comply with the enforcement notice. The fact no one objected is immaterial in this case.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I think he should be locked up in his own carefully built dungeon - assume he has one!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not just planning, presumably he didn't get any Building Regulations Approval on it either. So it is likely a breach of the Building Regulations as well as Planning law.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
At least he's actually managed to building some housing - something most councils seem utterly incapable of doing. I'd rather councils were prosecuted for neglect of the local homeless than this bloke done for building a home.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Ultimately he broke the laws of the land for personal gain. That simply can't be allowed.

It's an open and shut case in my view. Bulldoze it.

Or ... the local council take possession, sell it and use the funds to keep key services running. Unfortunately most public sector organisations and employees lack any imagination.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Just watched the BBC film ..... really ?? It's next to ugly industrial barn type structures. Our planning law are nutty .... absolutely nutty.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Clearly visible ??? Only if you have bionic eyes or zoom in on the image, or trespass onto his land to get a better view. :lolol:

Castle.jpg

Clearly visible from Axes Lane - also on Google Maps.

attachment.php

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
:lolol: That was a conscious deception by you, to put it politely. If you have to do that in a debate it means the argument is weak. :shrug:

Not really - I wasn't deceiving anyone - if you look at my post it was providing information for a poster who hadn't seen the building in real life nor able to find it on Google maps.

My post answered both his questions as he acknowledged :)

I even gave a 'thumbs up to the poster who posted the standard Google Map image - which as you can see would hardly help the poster who couldn't find the building.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
We built our stadium in a national park and it looks fantastic let him keep it the council should have been on the ball .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:lolol: That was a conscious deception by you, to put it politely.
I'm getting confused - are you for or against conscious deception?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We built our stadium in a national park and it looks fantastic let him keep it the council should have been on the ball .

it wasnt national park at the time, it'd never been built if it were. but good point to highlight those crying about green belt have short memories.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wasn't asking you. Symyjym seems to be against the thought of you deceiving (I'm not suggesting you were), but fine with the fact that Fidler deceived the council.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I don't know why people find this so difficult to fathom! He didn't get planning permission (as he knew he'd never get it on green belt), tried to conceal it and got caught. He's also cost the tax payer thousands of pounds. Personally, I'd make him drive the bulldozer that demolishes it!!!!

Jan 30, 2008
A cheeky chappy just 'doing what was right for his family' & fighting the establishment to save his dream house or a snidey & devious little cockwomble hiding his building works behind a wall of hay then claiming 'no one objected' when justifying the building that had no planning permission.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34768763

NSC MUST decide! :smile:
fidler by name fidler by nature , a complete time waster
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports