Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robbie Savage

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Technically we played our second best left back, right back, centre half, and goalie. To be fair that would look like resting players.

However, my fear that this would make us weaker was wrong. If anything we were stronger. Dunk was fabulous, Calderon brilliant, and Chickson pretty good too. We also looked pretty lively going forward with probably our best front three.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Whilst I agree that the team played well, I would suggest that if that was our strongest team, they will line up exactly the same on Saturday. No, thought not.

We very nearly turned over a premier league side without some of our first choice team. What this has proved is that our squad has strength in depth, not that it was the best way to approach the game.

Some on here just want to defend Oscar whatever he does.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I thought our young team were impressive last night, Hull were poor because we made them poor. Although surprised I thought it was a good, bold selection by our manager. Only wish he had subbed Lua Lua earlier and seen the opportunities for us on the counter, which was clearly evident enough from the first half. Don't get wound up about Robbie, he s a pundit, said today gone tomorrow.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Only THREE of our starting XI haven't played regular first team football this season. THREE. People really need to get a grip. And there was nothing TK could have to stop their goal so people acting as if his inclusion would have made a difference are deluded.

How many of that eleven will start against Wigan? I reckon three - Ulloa, Ince and Upson.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Would having PIG in goal have changed the result..doubt it..PB has done his job in the cup...good to see him get time in goal....Calderon for Bruno ..well ask some on here they might say he should be first choice anyway....Dunk for Greer..did that seriously weaken our side? Nope i'd say he looked very comfortable...Chick for Ward ..wwell he dint disgrace himself did he...so where does that leave us being a weakened side? Savage really should check his facts before mouthing off..i have to admit a slight bias here in that i find him irritating 50% of the time..he's been on a bit of a campaign over the FA Cup, but i think he's got it wrong this time

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He right. Of course he's right.

Best chances in decades to make the quarters and we fielded a weakened side.

Just because we played well doesn't mean we played our strongest team. It's a missed opportunity.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
This.

I was pleased with team. Ulloa, Lua Lua and Buckley was positive, as was playing JFC behind them. Chicksen has the ability to provide pace down wing too and I prefer Calde to Bruno. Dunk played better than Greer has. That was no "second team"

I totally agree, I liked the positive and attacking team selection. Where it went wrong was perhaps trying to hang on instead of keeping them stretched. I like OG, though I'll not be inviting him around to liven up any house parties:smile:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
And yet apart from Greer and PIG and Ward i doubt many would have questioned that team to play a league game

That's a valid point, but people would have questioned the bench if it failed to feature Orlandi. I just think Garcia got it wrong. First game in nine days, five days rest before Wigan. Make the odd change but why change so much? Too many players not match fit and he made his third sub too late. It's certainly backfired on him now.

Win the game and you have a probable lucrative sellout against Sunderland and then who knows?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Robbie you are so spot on, first we saw it with Southampton at Saturday, now with us

We had our best opportunity in the cup for 28 years. We didn't play our best team, we now have a replay. We were playing Hull not friggin Hartlepool

Despite Hull being poor Steve Bruce wants it more than Oscar. Opportunity lost and Hull are as good as through, better play our strongest team and hope for a miracle

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That's a valid point, but people would have questioned the bench if it failed to feature Orlandi. I just think Garcia got it wrong. First game in nine days, five days rest before Wigan. Make the odd change but why change so much? Too many players not match fit and he made his third sub too late. It's certainly backfired on him now.

Win the game and you have a probable lucrative sellout against Sunderland and then who knows?

You have fair points...for me when i turned up to watch i didn't sit in my seat and think ''God thats a poor side i want my money back''....In the middle of the park JFC/INCEANDREWS...seemed a fair pick..Stephens was cup tied and Orlandi hasn't quite got the form we know he is capable of ...i guess the one bit i am in total agreement with is the the 3rd sub, should have made it far earlier...it might seem weird but when they got there equaliser i almost wanted them to win it...a replay is not what we need and one that is 2 days after a league game...the debate over what side to play is going to be even more interesting :)

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
I think hull will look at last nights game as a disaster. They will think of us putting out a weakened side and only managing a draw. Where as our team should be full of confidence for the replay leg.

For me the team did a good job last night, very exciting to see the young players step up.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Only THREE of our starting XI haven't played regular first team football this season. THREE. People really need to get a grip. And there was nothing TK could have to stop their goal so people acting as if his inclusion would have made a difference are deluded.

Could Ward stop the cross come in? Would Greer kept his feet and/or blocked the shot? Would TK saved it?

We will never know but the questions are allowed to be asked.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If only Oscar had as much footballing knowledge as Robbie Savage, then we truly would have a chance of going up and winning the cup.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It is a squad game at the end of the day. The FA cup has provides players with the incentive to make a play for the 1st team. Look at Solly. Without his time in the cup games he may never have made it into the 1st team. Others may well do that as well. Thought Dunk was excellent last night. Another cup performance like that he may well force himself into the 1st 11.
Robbie is ok as pundits go but i prefer Oscar to make team selections as he deems fit.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Could Ward stop the cross come in? Would Greer kept his feet and/or blocked the shot? Would TK saved it?

We will never know but the questions are allowed to be asked.

Would Ward have had the pace of Chicksen on the counter? Would TK have catched their crosses or punched them away? Would Greer have prevented a last gasp Hull attempt at goal?

You're right we'll never know. The team played well. It was our sit back and soak up the pressure approach on the 2nd half that cost us not our starting XI

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Would Ward have had the pace of Chicksen on the counter? Would TK have catched their crosses or punched them away? Would Greer have prevented a last gasp Hull attempt at goal?

You're right we'll never know. The team played well. It was our sit back and soak up the pressure approach on the 2nd half that cost us not our starting XI

No, we will never know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here