Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rob Edwards

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I think RDZ was a bit of a wilcard option in terms of our usual recruitment style, in that very bizarre circumstances had made him a viable candidate for the job. Had Putin not invaded Ukraine, there's no way he'd have been in the running when Potter left.
Also you could possibly argue that had Russia not invaded Ukraine then Chelsea would have remained under Abramovich's ownership, wouldn't have had the turbulent period where they were looking for a new owner and perhaps wouldn't have sacked Tuchel when they did. Also I'm not sure Abramovich would have gone for Potter- he didn't fit the profile of the classic Abramovich appointment at all.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Part of this is the perception that English managers are inherently worse or more backward looking than foreign ones. I'd be happy with McKenna, he's achieved a lot with not much resource, playing attractive football and giving chances to youth.

Some of those you mention (Gallardo, Amorim) I would have thought would be looking for more money or a bigger club - we'd need to maintain a European spot at least to get them in.

Farioli is an interesting one for sure. There are a few up and coming managers floating around at the moment who I could see being on the shortlist, but no reason why Edwards and McKenna wouldn't also - after all, we brought Potter in from mid table Championship Swansea and that worked well enough.
It's not about a perception of English managers as inherently worse at all. It's that there is (for a multitude of reasons) a complete lack of English managers working at the level required to take a team into the top ten of a major domestic top five league - which is the aim of the club. Last season it was Eddie Howe. That's it. Across Europe's top five leagues. Will Still couldn't do it at Reims despite a promising start and no one else got close in the Premier League. Roy Hodgson was the second highest finishing English manager across Europe.

McKenna, whilst doing a good job at Ipswich hasn't achieved a lot I'm afraid and he's had plenty of resource behind him. He had the second highest budget in League One and finished Second (Wednesday were first and finished third), and Ipswich are looking less and less likely to be able to continue their early season momentum and take the big step up from the Championship. It's a lot of resource and a good job, but not an exceptional one and whilst they should get into the play-offs, Southampton/Leeds will be the favourites to go up. Steve Cooper would be the most likely English manager for us to go for and that isn't going to happen because it would be seen as a step back. We will need to be far more ambitious than managers with only lower league successes to their names if we continue to want to battle in the top half of the Premier League and beat teams like Manchester City to players like Valentin Barco.

We are a very attractive club at the moment and if RDZ was to go to an elite club, then it shows exciting young managers that we are not only an opportunity for great young players to reach the very top but an opportunity for them to showcase their tactical abilities on a global scale and put themselves in the frame for an elite job. I have every bit of faith that we will go a lot bigger than Rob Edwards and his lovely smile.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Not a sentimental recruit at all. He's doing very well with Hull - they're in with a shout of the play-offs. Even without the Albion connection, it is not too dissimilar a profile to the Graham Potter appointment.
All true, and it's not to say that I don't rate him as a manager because I do, but Brighton are in a very different position now. We'd sacked a solid Premier League manager off the back of an underwhelming season and took a risk on a promotion from the Championship.

We're now (at point of writing) a competitive top 10 team with European aspirations, replacing arguably the best manager in our recent history. I love Rosenior, but I don't want an upper-middle-of-the-table Championship manager to replace De Zerbi. I have too much of a thirst for more of the same.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I hope RDZ will continue for a third year before taking the City job. However, if we need to change at the end of this season, then Farioli must be high up on our list. To take a Nice team from last season’s mid table position to challenging PSG is quite an achievement. Tony seems to like up and coming managers. ( Farioli is still in his 30s).
Cerebral and a De Zerbi protege. Only fault I can see is that his possession stats aren’t great, if I have sourced them correctly.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It seems some are uncomfortable with the reality of how big/attractive a proposition we are now.

We are a different club to the one we were when Graham Potter took over as manager.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Not a sentimental recruit at all. He's doing very well with Hull - they're in with a shout of the play-offs. Even without the Albion connection, it is not too dissimilar a profile to the Graham Potter appointment.
I love Liam but he's going to be a long way off where TBs sights are now set. We got Potter when we were odds on to get relegated. TB will now want to be in the Europe conversation every year with a manager that helps us attract the best young talent in world.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It seems some are uncomfortable with the reality of how big/attractive a proposition we are now.

We are a different club to the one we were when Graham Potter took over as manager.
Also worth remembering that Potter had managed a team in the knockout stages of the Europa League before we hired him.
Obviously you can throw all sorts of jibes at the Swedish league if you're so inclined, but there was a bit more to his career than a half decent season at Swansea when Bloom decided to give him the job.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I was at St Mary’s on Tuesday to see Hull beat Southampton. Hull were very good.
But our ways of working will surely mean we have quite possibly identified people we’ve never heard of, so speculation is pointless.
And talking of speculation, Russell Martin is doing OK at Southampton, but is there an issue? Bad blood? between us and him. I’m aware of stuff like his involvement in the Alex Pritchard Norwich thing, and that his “Foundation” seems to want nothing to do with AITC, but is there anything specific that means I shouldn’t like him…… which I don’t particularly anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here