Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rob Edwards

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He's doing a terrific job for Luton and I like him.

But we've bought £100s of millions of players and built an academy with 100's of young players scouting for their ability to retain possession with a view to having this run through our DNA from top to bottom.

It might be that the Luton manager is more flexible than i'm giving him credit for. But i'm going to guess that when Bloom is interviewing for the next manager, he will be expecting someone to provide examples about a time they have achieved success by playing possession based football.

So no, we won't be appointing Edwards.

I can see Palace wanting him after they sack the bloke who might or might not be replacing Hodgson.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Can’t stand all this pointless speculation about a non-existent managerial vacancy at Brighton. When the vacancy eventually arises, the decision on replacement will be nothing to do with the fans. Why not just enjoy the ride for now?

It is possible to both enjoy the ride and also have a conversation about potential replacements when RDZ eventually moves on. There's a probably a degree of mental insulation going on here, so that fans can convince themselves that there will be various really credible candidates around when the vacancy does arise.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
He's doing a terrific job for Luton and I like him.

But we've bought £100s of millions of players and built an academy with 100's of young players scouting for their ability to retain possession with a view to having this run through our DNA from top to bottom.

It might be that the Luton manager is more flexible than i'm giving him credit for. But i'm going to guess that when Bloom is interviewing for the next manager, he will be expecting someone to provide examples about a time they have achieved success by playing possession based football.

So no, we won't be appointing Edwards.

I can see Palace wanting him after they sack the bloke who might or might not be replacing Hodgson.
I do like the idea that Bloom would wait until interviewing somebody before finding out anything about the style of football they play.

"So Mr Klopp, what's this 'gegenpressing' you mention in your CV? You'll have to forgive me, I always meant to watch one of Liverpool's games on Match of the Day but I kept taping Coronation Street over it."

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Why are people criticising conversations about future potential managers? RDZ will leave at some point and TB will be looking already at potential short lists. Agree that Edwards doesn't have the experience for our game, and would love Rosenior at some point but no way has he shown enough yet. I think we are also beyond plucking someone from the Championship like Potter at the moment, and could take our pick from most managers in world football now, with the exception of the absolute elite.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Why are people criticising conversations about future potential managers? RDZ will leave at some point and TB will be looking already at potential short lists. Agree that Edwards doesn't have the experience for our game, and would love Rosenior at some point but no way has he shown enough yet. I think we are also beyond plucking someone from the Championship like Potter at the moment, and could take our pick from most managers in world football now, with the exception of the absolute elite.

As I posted on another thread, I think LR will be right up in terms of candidates when RDZ moves on. I think RDZ was a bit of a wilcard option in terms of our usual recruitment style, in that very bizarre circumstances had made him a viable candidate for the job. Had Putin not invaded Ukraine, there's no way he'd have been in the running when Potter left. When RDZ moves on, I feel like we'll 100% move back to the model of selecting an up-and-coming manager who fits the philosophy of the club. That's why it is even more important to even RDZ whilst he is here, IMO.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I get being a very good side is new and all to us, but the potential replacements for RDZ (ludicrous that we're discussing this imo anyway) being discussed on NSC are so tinpot it's insane.

We've got a world class manager at the helm currently and half of NSC is convinced that when we lose him to one of Europe's great teams our ambition will amount to Kieran McKenna and Rob Edwards FFS.

It'll be someone ridiculously exciting like Gallardo or Farioli, or a manager with a CV like we've not seen at the Albion before like Tedesco or Amorim. Think bigger.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Mate we’ve just won 5-nil away from home in the Premier League with our AFCON winner scoring a brace, keeping us in the European hunt with Europa League knockouts coming shortly and a very winnable FA Cup 5th round tie on the horizon.

Can’t we just enjoy this for now? We’re having a fantastic season. We just beat Ajax home and away for goodness sake.
Well yes but apart from all that and the roads...what has Roberto De Zerbi ever done for us!?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Will the small club mentality ever leave some people? Who will we sell who will leave, Christ on a bike.

The mass exodus to Chavski highlighted to me that it’s the way of the world, it is a steady revolving door more than ever, because of the brilliance of TB/StarLizard. RDZ being far better than Potter, taught me to go with the flow. As long as we keep raking in vast sums, reinvest wisely and play good football, I’m not going to get wound up about this. Also I don’t mind these nsc discussions, they’re innocuous and have no influence on players/managers.

Would I love Caicedo and MacA to still be playing for us? Of course. Just being realistic.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
People are wrong to write him off stylistically. He had always played possession based attacking football. He's changed the style of the team dramatically because that's what he's had to do and a seriously strong sign of a superb young manager if you ask me.
However, when the day comes we need another manager I'm pretty sure we will be fishing in a much bigger pool than that of the likes of Edwards and Roseneir.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Mate we’ve just won 5-nil away from home in the Premier League with our AFCON winner scoring a brace, keeping us in the European hunt with Europa League knockouts coming shortly and a very winnable FA Cup 5th round tie on the horizon.

Can’t we just enjoy this for now? We’re having a fantastic season. We just beat Ajax home and away for goodness sake.
very much this , the internet is so fantastic and so utterly shithouse almost simultaneously.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I would say that as a sentimental recruit, yes, but as a likely candidate he'll be very low on their list.
Absolutely no chance. The fact that he's a former player, U23s coach and general bloody good bloke are all positives for sure, but we're a top-half PL team now and Bloom and Barber will be looking for a bit more experience and substantive success at an equivalent level, which Rosenior doesn't have yet.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I would say that as a sentimental recruit, yes, but as a likely candidate he'll be very low on their list.

Not a sentimental recruit at all. He's doing very well with Hull - they're in with a shout of the play-offs. Even without the Albion connection, it is not too dissimilar a profile to the Graham Potter appointment.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He's a very likable bloke and is doing a great job, but there's no chance we'd go after him.

Luton did well by getting the right type of manager to suit their squad and physical/direct playing style.

Bloom will do the same.
Agree with this.

Whisper it but I think he'd actually be a good fit for Palace manager, once they've sacked Roy, sacked Glasner, and sacked Roy again.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I get being a very good side is new and all to us, but the potential replacements for RDZ (ludicrous that we're discussing this imo anyway) being discussed on NSC are so tinpot it's insane.

We've got a world class manager at the helm currently and half of NSC is convinced that when we lose him to one of Europe's great teams our ambition will amount to Kieran McKenna and Rob Edwards FFS.

It'll be someone ridiculously exciting like Gallardo or Farioli, or a manager with a CV like we've not seen at the Albion before like Tedesco or Amorim. Think bigger.
Part of this is the perception that English managers are inherently worse or more backward looking than foreign ones. I'd be happy with McKenna, he's achieved a lot with not much resource, playing attractive football and giving chances to youth.

Some of those you mention (Gallardo, Amorim) I would have thought would be looking for more money or a bigger club - we'd need to maintain a European spot at least to get them in.

Farioli is an interesting one for sure. There are a few up and coming managers floating around at the moment who I could see being on the shortlist, but no reason why Edwards and McKenna wouldn't also - after all, we brought Potter in from mid table Championship Swansea and that worked well enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here