Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roadmap out of lockdown

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Didnt have to justify myself at all just disliked being accused of taking the piss. If guidance had ever been 1 hour a day I wouldve gladly stuck to that.

For what it's worth i dont think I'm sailing close to the wind at all. Last couple of weeks head torch on. Up on the downs at 3am for a couple of hours is harming nobody at all and is well within the realms of the actual rules

Clearly, you are very sensible. Unfortunately regulations have to be made to fit all types and those not so sensible.

And yes, the very original guidance, as qualified by Michael Gove, was a one hour walk or half hour run... Obviously as has been pointed out, this has now been changed to something rather vague, which allows some less sensible than you to take the piss...

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
There’s been so much criticism (particularly from angry keyboard warriors on social media) aimed at people (safely) exercising within the guidelines. Confusing messages from the Government have fuelled this. I also know a couple of runners who have had notes put through their doors because they were seen ‘going out for more than an hour’.

So true. The people exercising safely shouldnt be having to explain their actions . As I walked up falmer road the other day into the downs a police car slowed. Checked I was ok. Explained my plan to them and they drove off with a simple stay safe. If they have no issues with some daft bloke taking his exercise in the middle of the night I take more from their judgement than from people online who think they know the regulations

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Whys that contravening the rules. I can walk out of my door and be on the sdw on foot within 5 minutes. I can walk an hour and a quarter out and an hour and a quarter back without breaking any actual guidelines

I genuinely don’t see a problem with walking more than an hour if you’re not stopping for a picnic and are doing a continuous walk where you see very few others But the rule is one hour. So yes, by walking for more than an hour, the rules are being broken.

This is the fault of the government mainly. For mixed messages and for calling them “guidelines” then “rules” then “new laws” etc.

But in short, any walk over any hour is breaking the rules.

However, I agree with you and have started walking on the Downs for a couple of hours, twice a week. I work night shifts and I find it very beneficial to be able to get out and see decent amount of daylight. I avoid busy areas and don’t stop for more than a few seconds at time. Like yourself, I’ll easily do at leat one 20 mile walk a week so cutting this down to 5 miles, twice a week seems sensible.

Last edited:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I genuinely don’t see a problem with walking more than an hour if you’re not stopping for a picnic and are doing a continuous walk where you see very few others But the rule is one hour. So yes, by walking for more than an hour, the rules are being broken.

This is the fault of the government mainly. For mixed messages and for calling them “guidelines” then “rules” then “new laws” etc.

But as has been discussed already the rule was only ever put in place as exercise once a day. The time limit was mentioned by some and taken as gospel and a part of the rule by others. Someone a few posts back posted the actual wording of the rule (post 111) with no time limit mentioned.

You are correct though in the mixed messages through different means creating this issue. I'm used to walking 30 or 40 miles a weekend non stop at this time of year and it's so frustrating not being able to.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

However, I agree with you and have started walking on the Downs for a couple of hours, twice a week. I work night shifts and I find it very beneficial to be able to get out and see decent amount of daylight. I avoid busy areas and don’t stop for more than a few seconds at time. Like yourself, I’ll easily do at leat one 20 mile walk a week so cutting this down to 5 miles, twice a week seems sensible.

The rule is not, and never has been 'one hour'. That was an off-the-cuff remark by Michael Gove when asked what he thought might be a reasonable time for exercise. He basically said 'what you normally do, maybe an hour walking, half and hour cycling, and somewhere in between for running'. It was never formal guidance, law, rules - just a comment in response to a question. It was never emphasised by any politician again. I agree - it is the fault of the government and mixed messages.

As for picnics, the Police guidance was that it was reasonable to stop for a short while during your exercise for a sandwich. So, I suppose it depends what we define as a 'picnic'!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The rule is not, and never has been 'one hour'. That was an off-the-cuff remark by Michael Gove when asked what he thought might be a reasonable time for exercise. He basically said 'what you normally do, maybe an hour walking, half and hour cycling, and somewhere in between for running'. It was never formal guidance, law, rules - just a comment in response to a question. It was never emphasised by any politician again. I agree - it is the fault of the government and mixed messages.

As for picnics, the Police guidance was that it was reasonable to stop for a short while during your exercise for a sandwich. So, I suppose it depends what we define as a 'picnic'!

You have encapsulated the problem. The Brits hate rules, and much prefer guidelines, 'best practice' and other hand-wavy platitudes. Warm weasel words from that old sause-box, Gove, the tinker. That way it can all be nice, and folk can show how responsible and community spirited they are.

Like bollocks.

I see it in my profession, where attempts to tighten up the conduct of research by introducing hard rules about experimental design and analysis are fought viciously by those who claim this is an affront to academic freedom.

If it isn't a rule or a law it can be flouted with equanimity. That's why we have speed limits and speed cameras, and why we have drink driving limits and blood alcohol testing. As I mentioned yesterday I had to tell off another plum yesterday for encroaching on my personal space in a store. He wouldn't have done it if he knew he'd be thrown in the sea for it. It wouldn't happen in Germany.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
You have encapsulated the problem. The Brits hate rules, and much prefer guidelines, 'best practice' and other hand-wavy platitudes. Warm weasel words from that old sause-box, Gove, the tinker. That way it can all be nice, and folk can show how responsible and community spirited they are.

Like bollocks.

I see it in my profession, where attempts to tighten up the conduct of research by introducing hard rules about experimental design and analysis are fought viciously by those who claim this is an affront to academic freedom.

If it isn't a rule or a law it can be flouted with equanimity. That's why we have speed limits and speed cameras, and why we have drink driving limits and blood alcohol testing. As I mentioned yesterday I had to tell off another plum yesterday for encroaching on my personal space in a store. He wouldn't have done it if he knew he'd be thrown in the sea for it. It wouldn't happen in Germany.

How is it encapsulating the problem when the government website clearly states there is no time restriction on exercise. . In deciding to exercise for more than an hour that is the fact and the rules that I follow. Not some off the cuff remark by Gove. Surely it's the rules we should be following?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How is it encapsulating the problem when the government website clearly states there is no time restriction on exercise. . In deciding to exercise for more than an hour that is the fact and the rules that I follow. Not some off the cuff remark by Gove. Surely it's the rules we should be following?

You are a more conscientious citizen than many. I naively assumed that Gove spouting bollocks reflects a loosness of guidance. A quick check online shows that the guidance is actually quite clear and I was wrong. If Gove is giving guidance that conflicts with official then that would be bad.

A bit mad that you can 'exercise' all day if you like, but not twice for 30 minutes unless you are doing so to manage someone's mental health issue, though. And like I said, every time I shop there are people flouting the social distancing rules, and they don't seem to know or care and nobody intervenes.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

"We would ask you to help us by" seems to be the tack all the retailers have taken for example when (e.g.) introducing queues to get in. Had they said "right you lot, queue now or you're not coming in" it wouldn't have lasted an hour.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Incorrect. The rule is not, and never has been ‘one hour’.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You are a more conscientious citizen than many. I naively assumed that Gove spouting bollocks reflects a loosness of guidance. A quick check online shows that the guidance is actually quite clear and I was wrong. If Gove is giving guidance that conflicts with official then that would be bad.

A bit mad that you can 'exercise' all day if you like, but not twice for 30 minutes unless you are doing so to manage someone's mental health issue, though. And like I said, every time I shop there are people flouting the social distancing rules, and they don't seem to know or care and nobody intervenes.

I don't really want to keep raking over the coals of the regulations/rules/guidance/throwaway comments, but this is what is actually said about exercise...

There is no limit on how long you can exercise for, but you should spend as short a time away from your home as possible. Stay local if you can and act responsibly at all times. Once you have undertaken exercise, you should go home immediately. Do not linger in public places. For example, after having gone for a run or a cycle, you should not sit down or rest away from your home, unless necessary for health reasons.

I see no mention of stopping for a picnic, or going out for long walks/runs/cycles. Instead I see the usual vague in the extreme advice, as per usual from this government!

Yes, we clearly have some very sensible people on these boards, who are doing their exercise in the middle of the night, unfortunately there are too many dimwits who will not use a modicum of commons sense!

Let's see what happens when the rules are relaxed...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"We would ask you to help us by" seems to be the tack all the retailers have taken for example when (e.g.) introducing queues to get in. Had they said "right you lot, queue now or you're not coming in" it wouldn't have lasted an hour.

Yes.

I appreciate some on here know all the rules and check the website daily. But making a website is not leadership. Allowing folk to interpret how to implement advice is not leadership. We make rules that are either not rules, or are rules that are not implemented, not checked up on . . . . and then we have people like Gove adding his own interpretations on the hoof....just went on BBC to check exactly what he said before but can't find owt. Fancy that!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't really want to keep raking over the coals of the regulations/rules/guidance/throwaway comments, but this is what is actually said about exercise...

There is no limit on how long you can exercise for, but you should spend as short a time away from your home as possible. Stay local if you can and act responsibly at all times. Once you have undertaken exercise, you should go home immediately. Do not linger in public places. For example, after having gone for a run or a cycle, you should not sit down or rest away from your home, unless necessary for health reasons.

I see no mention of stopping for a picnic, or going out for long walks/runs/cycles. Instead I see the usual vague in the extreme advice, as per usual from this government!

Yes, we clearly have some very sensible people on these boards, who are doing their exercise in the middle of the night, unfortunately there are too many dimwits who will not use a modicum of commons sense!

I'd like to see some armed police. Acually I'd like to see one policeman. Haven't seen one for months.

All best wishes, as always.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

No - there's no mention of stopping for a picnic there. But then you see the guidance from the Police who enforce the legislation..... https://www.college.police.uk/What-we-do/COVID-19/Documents/What-constitutes-a-reasonable-excuse.pdf

Capture.JPG

It's no wonder some folk basically do what they want. If you have the Police saying 'might not be strictly right, but we won't take any action'..... But again it's vague, one person's 'long walk', is another person's 'short stroll'.

However, I get the feeling it will all be redundant this time tomorrow after BoJo tells us we can exercise as much as want.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not immediately, no. But the noises leaked to the press were about getting them back open ASAP. I know the beginning of June was mentioned a lot by the papers (for year 6 only to begin with).
My kids are now adults although I’m not sure If I had youngsters I would be keen on sending them back just because Boris says so.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Incorrect. The rule is not, and never has been ‘one hour’.

...and if it were how the feck would it be implemented...how an earth could it be...they were always guidelines ..has it really caused a big problem people exercising for more than an hour I don’t think so.....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So noises from tomorrow’s papers are that we will be introduced to a 5 level alert system, the new slogan being “Stay Alert” rather than “Stay at home”.

Boris Johnson will apparently confirm we are at a level 4 out of 5 in terms of risk, but moving towards a 3.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
...and if it were how the feck would it be implemented...how an earth could it be...they were always guidelines ..has it really caused a big problem people exercising for more than an hour I don’t think so.....

Youd think so based on peoples reactions on here and elsewhere

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Based on the papers it looks like we are looking at the limit of 1 exercise per day being lifted (not sure about actually being allowed to sit down in the park / on the beach etc for longer periods but in common sense terms I see no problem with this provided social distancing is observed), plus garden centres open from Wednesday.

Other than that, it is reported that they just plan to confirm what has been the case all along- that lots of businesses were never required to close at all, and it has always been the case that if you cannot do your job working from home, you can continue to go to work, whether that work is 'essential' or not. With social distancing measures including 2m if that is possible. That has always been the case so that is not a change being announced today.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Based on the papers it looks like we are looking at the limit of 1 exercise per day being lifted (not sure about actually being allowed to sit down in the park / on the beach etc for longer periods but in common sense terms I see no problem with this provided social distancing is observed), plus garden centres open from Wednesday.

Other than that, it is reported that they just plan to confirm what has been the case all along- that lots of businesses were never required to close at all, and it has always been the case that if you cannot do your job working from home, you can continue to go to work, whether that work is 'essential' or not. With social distancing measures including 2m if that is possible. That has always been the case so that is not a change being announced today.

Yep.....modest and cautious relaxation of the guidance/rules. I think the majority are so used to social distancing now that it’ll continue to be observed. It doesn’t make any difference to me whether I run for 30 minutes or 5 hours......will still go out of my way to avoid people, and virtually everyone I’ve encountered over the last few weeks has done the same. In theory allowing people to use parks, beaches etc should also be ok as long as the maintenance of distancing remains in place. Some will continue to take the piss of course, but that’s going to happen whatever the rules state.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here