Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roadmap out of lockdown

Jimmy Grimble

Is it a fact that Johnson wants schools back now?

Not immediately, no. But the noises leaked to the press were about getting them back open ASAP. I know the beginning of June was mentioned a lot by the papers (for year 6 only to begin with).

Jimmy Grimble

There are 4 families near to me that keep breaking social distancing rules. One is a chap in his early 60's who lives with his daughter. He often has a friend round in the back garden and her boyfriend seems to visit every couple of days. My other neighbour works out with a friend a couple of times a week and the friend brought his girlfriend round the other day for a nice spot of sunbathing. Two along, and the family were clearly entertaining in the garden today. These others are in their late 20's or 30's.
People across the road, in their 20's have taken advantage of the lockdown to do a lot of work on their home, there is a steady succession of builders arriving with and taking away materials. No-one observing social-distancing at all. I think people in each age-group will fall into one of the two camps, those that think they can get away with it or don't regard it as a dangerous disease and care not for the consequences, and those that will carefully try to minimise the perceived danger to themselves and others. There is always a cross-section of thoughtless folk whatever their age.

Agreed. Was only commenting on what I’ve noticed in my locality and what I know of amongst social groups I mix in.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Agreed. Was only commenting on what I’ve noticed in my locality and what I know of amongst social groups I mix in.
Yeah, no problem. Generally around Eastbourne, at least where I've visited, is very quiet. Just these people bending or breaking the rules nearby to me.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Seems likely that restrictions on exercise could be reduced from Monday. I can't see anything to suggest that people going out for socially distanced exercise more than once a day would significantly increase overall spread.

Possibly much of the rest of Sunday's guidance could be about getting people / businesses who have voluntarily locked down beyond the Government restrictions to re-open / get back to work. Other than the specific businesses which were restricted (e.g. non-essential retail), all other businesses could have stayed open but many chose to close. E.g. building sites, manufacturing, and all the cafes / restaurants / pubs which could have stayed open to operate a takeaway service but voluntarily chose to close. Beyond the specific businesses which were restricted, the advice to everyone else was keep going to work if you can't carry out your function working from home, and enact measures e.g. hand washing, the 2m rule, but the 2m rule specifically has only ever been advisory and to be applied 'where possible'.

I understand why many businesses may have voluntarily shut down due to the overall level of concern / workers' concerns, supply chain issues, and the financial judgement over staying open with all the associated expenses and potentially a limited income stream vs closing with Government assistance, furloughed wages etc. It seems may of them are re-considering at this stage as it seems many trades are already getting back to work, and some high street businesses re-opening for takeaway etc.

I imagine BJ could have a go at encouraging many of these businesses to re-open to some extent to get things moving again, supply chains start coming back on stream to some extent etc., prior to allowing further sectors to re-open. that doesn't need any change to the current restrictions- it just needs businesses to get back in action where that is possible / appropriate.

Based on what other European countries have done, we can't be more than a few weeks away from allowing some non-essential retail to re-open, from there other countries are taking a staged approach but within a month they seem to have then gone to all retail re-opened and bars / cafes / restaurants possibly next with some restrictions. I appreciate these calls will have to be made based on the current science at that time and some could be delayed if there is a problem with overall spread.

Some countries have stronger regional Government setups (e.g. Germany, France, USA) so may be better suited to different measures being enforced in different areas. That seems unlikely in the UK other than some potential variance between the countries Eng/Wales/Scot/NI.

This is the sort of thing I am expecting from BJ tomorrow. Minimal changes to restrictions but encouraging some of the business which have closed despite restrictions allowing them to operate, for things like takeaway, to re-open-

Annotation 2020-05-09 083122.jpg

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...ocial-distancing-george-eustice-a4435996.html

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I would also imagine companies which use apps like Just Eat and Deliveroo will be encouraged to reopen too.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...1-june-in-doubt-as-unions-say-safety-in-doubt

Interesting noises that the unions are making. Not aligned with Johnson’s thinking. I sense a conflict coming on this front.

Interesting parallels with the footballers who don't wish to take part in a restarted PL (as discussed elsewhere). I wonder whether because this lot are "the unions" and the press instinctively hate them whether they'll be treated differently.

My sister is a teacher and is distinctly uneasy about the prospect of schools reopening any time soon.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s still isolated examples and overall a small %. I spent 2.5 hours on the SDW today, and several hours in neighbours gardens this afternoon/evening and didn’t see a single incident that would be contravening the rules.

Except of course, for your 2.5 hours on the SDW :facepalm:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Except of course, for your 2.5 hours on the SDW :facepalm:
Whys that contravening the rules. I can walk out of my door and be on the sdw on foot within 5 minutes. I can walk an hour and a quarter out and an hour and a quarter back without breaking any actual guidelines

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Whys that contravening the rules. I can walk out of my door and be on the sdw on foot within 5 minutes. I can walk an hour and a quarter out and an hour and a quarter back without breaking any actual guidelines

Unless I've missed the change, which I may have as we don't go out, so it doesn't affect us, but I thought the general directive was a 1 hour walk or cycle and half hour run?

Is this no longer the case or are people adapting the rules to suit?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unless I've missed the change, which I may have as we don't go out, so it doesn't affect us, but I thought the general directive was a 1 hour walk or cycle and half hour run?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...avirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

17. Is there any time restriction on being outdoors for the purpose of exercise?

There is no limit on how long you can exercise for, but you should spend as short a time away from your home as possible. Stay local if you can and act responsibly at all times. Once you have undertaken exercise, you should go home immediately. Do not linger in public places. For example, after having gone for a run or a cycle, you should not sit down or rest away from your home, unless necessary for health reasons.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...avirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

17. Is there any time restriction on being outdoors for the purpose of exercise?

There is no limit on how long you can exercise for, but you should spend as short a time away from your home as possible. Stay local if you can and act responsibly at all times. Once you have undertaken exercise, you should go home immediately. Do not linger in public places. For example, after having gone for a run or a cycle, you should not sit down or rest away from your home, unless necessary for health reasons.

Like most of the government advice then, ambiguous in the extreme. You can spend as long as you like exercising but don't spend too long!

No wonder people take the piss..

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

It was mentioned by michael Gove once as a suggested amount I think but never specified as law in england. No adaptation of the rules needed on this one as it was never a rule

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Like most of the government advice then, ambiguous in the extreme. You can spend as long as you like exercising but don't spend too long!

If that's aimed at me saying I'd walked for 2 and a half hours like I said in my original post it's right on my doorstep and once I'm on the south downs way it's incredibly easy to social distance by virtue of hardly seeing anyone

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Yep...was extremely confused at the start and has continued.......the MPs were/are giving out conflicting, off the cuff ‘guidance’. I heard/read all of :

-‘60 mins on a bike or a 30 minute run ‘I would have thought’’
-‘maximum one hour’
-cannot drive to somewhere to exercise
-you can exercise for as long as you ordinarily would (which has been interpreted quite literally by some in the ultrarunning community)
-can drive, but should be a short distance and drive should be much less time than the exercise

I’ve cut back on longer runs a bit personally as they can compromise your immune system for a while afterwards which may not be great in the event of catching Covid. I can be on the Downs and completely adhere to distancing so I don’t feel as though I’m putting anyone at risk. Time exercising is also relative - I’m very used to 2-3 hour runs so I’m also not taking any real risk myself over and above what I’d normally do.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If that's aimed at me saying I'd walked for 2 and a half hours like I said in my original post it's right on my doorstep and once I'm on the south downs way it's incredibly easy to social distance by virtue of hardly seeing anyone

Agreed.......away from the main car parks (that are still open), there’s no more than a scattering of walkers, joggers and cyclists. Was surprised yesterday that even the car park I normally use was no more than about half full (despite the next nearest main car park at Ditchling Beacon being shut)

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Agreed.......away from the main car parks (that are still open), there’s no more than a scattering of walkers, joggers and cyclists. Was surprised yesterday that even the car park I normally use was no more than about half full (despite the next nearest main car park at Ditchling Beacon being shut)

I'm fortunate in that I can walk to the downs. I'm very used to walking through the night on long distance challenges so limiting myself to 2 or 3 hours is very much not taking the piss. as someone suggested.
It keeps me.motivated at a time of year when I'd usually be walking 12 to 16 hours most weekends. I make no apology for that
Especially as I find it very easy to steer clear of busy times of day

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Wasn't a go at anyone, but unfortunately the government can't legislate for everyone's individual circumstances so give guidance for all to follow. You clearly realise you are sailing close to the wind as you have had to justify yourself...

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Wasn't a go at anyone, but unfortunately the government can't legislate for everyone's individual circumstances so give guidance for all to follow. You clearly realise you are sailing close to the wind as you have had to justify yourself...

Didnt have to justify myself at all just disliked being accused of taking the piss. If guidance had ever been 1 hour a day I wouldve gladly stuck to that.

For what it's worth i dont think I'm sailing close to the wind at all. Last couple of weeks head torch on. Up on the downs at 3am for a couple of hours is harming nobody at all and is well within the realms of the actual rules

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Didnt have to justify myself at all just disliked being accused of taking the piss. If guidance had ever been 1 hour a day I wouldve gladly stuck to that.

For what it's worth i dont think I'm sailing close to the wind at all. Last couple of weeks head torch on. Up on the downs at 3am for a couple of hours is harming nobody at all and is well within the realms of the actual rules

There’s been so much criticism (particularly from angry keyboard warriors on social media) aimed at people (safely) exercising within the guidelines. Confusing messages from the Government have fuelled this. I also know a couple of runners who have had notes put through their doors because they were seen ‘going out for more than an hour’.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here