Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] RN SSBN Bomber Patrols

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
RAEC Resettlement Officer attached to RAMC. Had the balloon gone up I would have been attached to a TA infantry battalion to do some "proper" soldiering. Presumably I'd be back afterwards "resettling" the many medical discharges caused by that "balloon"! (If I was lucky, myself, of course!). Your Navy-themed thread reminded me of a former colleague who was in the RAF and had to attend a course at a Naval shore establishment. He arrived at the gates a little late and asked the sentry if he could let him in only to be told "Liberty Boat leaves at seven." Of course my mate had not the foggiest idea what the sailor meant until it was explained by a Naval officer. Similarly, he was confused during the course of the day when a tannoy announcement told him and everyone else to "stand easy". Different things to different people!

Even being in the navy could catch you out. When I joined the old Ark, there wasnt tannoy announcements, as you would expect. Fecking bugle calls

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
What canoes were all You old salts on?
Bristol,Newcastle,Invincible and Glasgow for Me, loved every minute of it [emoji1303][emoji3]⚓

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Bristol,Newcastle,Invincible and Glasgow for Me, loved every minute of it [emoji1303][emoji3]⚓

Ark Royal (old one), Warrior (Northwood), Lowestoft (on the 'were going where?? You better get that ****ing verified!' 74 trip)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

As far as Canoes , Cardiff, Ark Royal & Gloucester.

Stone Frigates Training, Raleigh & Dryad.

Stone Frigates Ships Company, Dryad, Nelson & finished up at HMS Dolphin working for MWDC.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Ganges, Daedalus, Yarmouth, Hasler,Rothesay, Excellent, Phoenix, CinC Fleet retinue, Berwick, Dolphin, Edinburgh, Sultan, Ark Royal,

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Stone ships: Raleigh, Daedalus, Heron( RNAS Yeovilton), Osprey( RNAS Portland), Bardefoss (Norway), Nelson.

Squadrons: 899, 809, 846.

Ships: Invincible (embarked forces and not more than a few days), Hermes (embarked forces for the last trip plus a few detachments), RFA Reliant (embarked again), Victory (no I’m not joking).

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
What branch were you in although your stint at L on S might be the giveaway?

Chef.
We go everywhere.

I forgot HMS Pembroke, after Ganges, did my professional training there, although a lot said no one ever passed the course.:smile:

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Chef.
We go everywhere.

I forgot HMS Pembroke, after Ganges, did my professional training there, although a lot said no one ever passed the course.:smile:

Ah Chatham Rating, If I said to you back then that in the late 90’s BHA would be playing home games in the Medway Towns you’d have me sectioned to basket weaving at Hasler [emoji23]

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Ah Chatham Rating, If I said to you back then that in the late 90’s BHA would be playing home games in the Medway Towns you’d have me sectioned to basket weaving at Hasler [emoji23]

Ou galley at RNH Hasler overlooked Z ward (mental health). It was quite an interesting view at times.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I forgot Raleigh and Mercury haha. Cant be many military establishments like Mercury that had a public road through the middle of it. Used to see cars with families in them, slowing down to look at the sailors :lol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You were in Petersfield then, was that Pompey **** of a book shop owner up there in those days?

I doubt it. He's quite a bit younger than me.
I lived in Soberton Towers because the Wrens block wasn't built in Mercury until the early 70s.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
The crew on SSBN patrols get a familygram limited to circa 40 words and heavily scrutinised, there won’t be any bad news in these as the sub won’t compromise its position by surfacing.

Many crew have returned to find loved ones have past away.
Just twenty words a week in my day.
My Gran died whilst I was away and by the time we got back they had buried her.
Didn't get the news until we were back alongside.
As for the Patrol areas, you only had a rough idea of where you might have been on a Bomber by the colour of the Casing ( Hull)
If it was a greenish colour you had been somewhere warmish and if it was Black you had been somewhere cold

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I forgot Raleigh and Mercury haha. Cant be many military establishments like Mercury that had a public road through the middle of it. Used to see cars with families in them, slowing down to look at the sailors :lol:

Sultan had a public road through the middle of it , and a footbridge over it ,so the baby stokers weren’t squashed crossing it.

It may still have, for all I know.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
What a great read. thanks ladies and gents.

Shore-side = Raleigh/Mercury (many, many, times for courses)/Mountwise Plymouth/Northwood/Cinciberlant/Collingrad +others for Leadership shite.

grey war canoes = Diomede/Achilles/Minerva/Boxer/Sandpiper/Fearless

Loved it (most of the time).:salute:

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
RAEC Resettlement Officer attached to RAMC. Had the balloon gone up I would have been attached to a TA infantry battalion to do some "proper" soldiering. Presumably I'd be back afterwards "resettling" the many medical discharges caused by that "balloon"! (If I was lucky, myself, of course!). Your Navy-themed thread reminded me of a former colleague who was in the RAF and had to attend a course at a Naval shore establishment. He arrived at the gates a little late and asked the sentry if he could let him in only to be told "Liberty Boat leaves at seven." Of course my mate had not the foggiest idea what the sailor meant until it was explained by a Naval officer. Similarly, he was confused during the course of the day when a tannoy announcement told him and everyone else to "stand easy". Different things to different people!

Ahoy Benny or is it Still? :):salute:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here