Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Now about to start this!
427d25470c2472b62dc645f5f0dd4c10.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A particular favourite of mine was the famous hammy cheesy eggy, they use to turn them out for brekkie at HMS Dolphin and although I lived ashore at the time would sneak in early a grab a plate before work commenced at 0800.

I don't know anyone who didn't love cheesy hammy eggy.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I hated babies heads ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They were definitely an acquired taste. Tinned steak and kidney pudding for those lucky enough to have never tried them.
Another of pussers culinary delights was tinned sausages, by God they were horrible.

When my ship was in dry dock in Pompey, we had to do scran from a floating galley, of WW2 vintage in the main basin. We were also given drums of dried egg powder to use up, probably also of WW2 vintage. It was horrible stuff, day glo yellow and vile, the only edible thing you could use it for was scrambled egg.
We had just about used it all, we used to make loads at breakfast, no one would eat , so we’d bin it, just to try and get rid of it quicker. The Chief caterer caught on to this, and decreed we had to stop making so much, so, one morning having got fed up with Jack dripping how awful the scrambled eggs were, I tipped the last drum of egg powder over the side of the floating galley, half past four in the morning.
I went back to pumping the oil into the oil fired stove, a 45 minute job, went in flashed up the galley and got on with breakfast.
The P.O chef turned up at 7.45 and threw a wobbly, instead of sinking the egg powder was floating on top of the water, and had spread out for about 20 yards all around the galley, and was day glo yellow.

I got a 30 quid fine, and had to pay 4 quid extra to pay for the egg powder.

Misappropriation of Government property.

Last edited:

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
What Regiment Salad?

RAEC Resettlement Officer attached to RAMC. Had the balloon gone up I would have been attached to a TA infantry battalion to do some "proper" soldiering. Presumably I'd be back afterwards "resettling" the many medical discharges caused by that "balloon"! (If I was lucky, myself, of course!). Your Navy-themed thread reminded me of a former colleague who was in the RAF and had to attend a course at a Naval shore establishment. He arrived at the gates a little late and asked the sentry if he could let him in only to be told "Liberty Boat leaves at seven." Of course my mate had not the foggiest idea what the sailor meant until it was explained by a Naval officer. Similarly, he was confused during the course of the day when a tannoy announcement told him and everyone else to "stand easy". Different things to different people!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here