Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Warren Mitchell

For avoidance of doubt see this feature on him http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/the-pride-of-prejudice-1-1398276

If you don't wish to plough through the whole thing the salient quote from it is...

But Alf was sometimes criticised for encouraging racism in those who failed to see the irony. Did that worry him? "No. People who couldn’t understand what the writer was at were beyond redemption anyway. A guy came up to me in Tottenham once and said, ‘Hey, Alf, I love that show of yours where you have a go at the coons.’ I said, ‘Actually, we’re having a go at f**kwits like you.’"

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Absolutely loved TDUDP and In Sickness and in Health, very little as good has been on since and Lord B is spot on. RIP Warren.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Till Death Us Do Part probably one of the best ever TV Comedy series but the PC Brigade wouldnt allow it now.

Far from it. The show merely called out the folly of stereotypes and inherited prejudice. The PC Brigade should celebrate it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I wonder if they will show any episodes of Till Death, doubt it. His great nephew has tweeted he was 'the last of his generation'. My generation I'm sometimes embarrassed to say. Different times.

Embarrased to say????

TDUDP was created to assist in and most certainly helped in the breaking down racial stereotypes and barriers as Warren Mitchel fully understood and was supportive of. It's language now may seem racist but it was done in part to take the p!ss of and show how stupid bigoted racist ideas are. To do this and make a very funny programme was extra special.
I loved it and still do.

So celebrate and don't denigrate.

Wesht Am!

Scarse Geet!

TNBA

TTF

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
People today would be up in arms about it with out considering that he was taking the p..s out of racists. The mere fact of calling them c...s would upset many and cause complaints.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The whole cast of TDUDP was brilliant, Dandy Nicholls was a very underrated actress, and, with Warren, made the most realistic working class couple on the telly at that time.
RIP Warren

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Acting as a West Ham fan must've been bloody hard, given he supported Spurs!

RIP to a very funny man

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
He'd be having a good laugh at this thread. RIP to a very fine actor.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Till Death Us Do Part probably one of the best ever TV Comedy series but the PC Brigade wouldnt allow it now.

Great show and cast, a very well written show.

Careful BG, I'm quite sure the PC Brigade have come to your assistance more than once, with your history of computers. :lol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's the people who have NO idea about political correctness who wouldn't allow it now. TDUDP is one of the most genuinely politically correct programmes ever.

I'll always remember Warren Mitchell's response to a shout from someone who said, we love when you laugh at the blacks Alf.
" No mate we're laughing at you" he shouted back.

Not really worthy debating though is it LB.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The mere fact of calling them c...s would upset many and cause complaints.

Words alone are not offensive. It's the context and the person which can be.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I saw The thoughts of Chairman Alf live on stage at the Dome in the 80s.
It was brilliant. Very funny.
Obviously it was designed to be outrageous, but nothing compared to some of the "comedians" on stage these days. It wasn't just blue for the sake of it. There were no "jokes" about rape or paedophiles like you hear these days.

Warren Mitchell was not just a stand up comedian

RIP Warren Mitchell, a very fine actor

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I was as a child 'discouraged' from watching TDUDP which of course made it even more attractive. I do recall (or think I do) that WM really didn't get on at all with Tony Booth (aka Scouse Git and worse still Tony Blair's father-in-law). As they really tore into each other in their roles, maybe any personal dislike helped the acting!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's the people who have NO idea about political correctness who wouldn't allow it now. TDUDP is one of the most genuinely politically correct programmes ever.

Absolutely this. It was clear Alf was an idiot, and Warren Mitchell played him superbly. He was an excellent actor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here