Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] RIP Sean Lock

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He lived in Lewes for a while, recently. Almost exactly the same age as my missus and I, which is always unnerving. RIP Sean.

Yeah he did live in Lewes we went to a children’s party at Lewes Leisure Centre and he was there with one of his children, spent a couple of minutes chatting with him, bizarrely he commented on me looking like I might prefer Mark Lamar as a comedian! I said I have similar music taste to Mark (both meteors fans) and he mentioned he liked rockabilly too, when he was younger, but grew out of it…. Made me laugh, engaging guy.

R.I.P Sean, true funny guy, who never needed to resort to filth to get a laugh, he just had natural comedic value by just they way he looked at you.

Sad news for his family.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My son met him in Lewes and told me how friendly and down to earth he found him. I always liked his humour. RIP and thoughts with his family and friends.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
My Italian grandmother grew, with her advancing years, to a formidable size. She was only short but she became very stout and after her second stroke she struggled with mobility. She needed a wheel chair and was lifted in and out of the car/seats.

My parents took her out to Brighton seafront and had lunch in a cafe. It was one of those places where the outside seats are like booths: two immovable benches and a table(also immovable) in the middle so you have to slide in to your seat.

It turns out that after a particularly hearty lunch my dad(a 6foot 3 builder) was really struggling to get my nan out of her booth seat. Sean Lock, who had just paid his bill noticed the struggle and so offered his services and between him and my dad managed to pull the indomitable 90 year old Italian matriach out of her seat.

It's an image that always makes me smile and is a long winded way of saying that Sean Lock was a good guy. He's gone to soon.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sad news, I’m going to miss him, he was really funny.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
My sister was a games maker at London 2012, one evening she got on a train back down south at London Bridge and Sean Lock and his wife got on and sat on the other side of the aisle. He clocked her uniform and spent the whole journey back to Gatwick (for her) asking her about what it was like and seemed really interested to hear her stories. She came in absolutely chuffed to bits. Seemed like a really great guy. RIP.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UGuPvrsG3E
Such sad news, didn’t even realise he was ill tbh :( everyone should watch his ‘carrot in the box’ piece if they haven’

I was just thumbing through the thread to see if this had been posted and if not was going to post myself. An absolute masterclass!

I use this picture from it daily:

CFD1BA7D-E1B6-4E43-9364-E9E3E95DB618.jpeg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cannot abide things like 8 Out of 10 Cats or anything with Rachel Riley but SL was a top bloke, great comedian. Tragic loss. Far too young. RIP.

But not tragic enough to stop your first thought being 'stick the boot into Riley', while not even bothering to write Sean Lock.

Last edited:

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
You only need to read how many comics have shared tributes to him today to get a sense of how he was regarded. Many mention his humility as well as his talent. Very sad. RIP Sean. Channel 4 tributes tm night I think

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Like others on here, this was a bit of a shock. Loved his dry wicked sense of humor. RIP Sean.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mods - any chance we could get his surname corrected in the thread title ? Tks.

Edit...not sure ! With or without an e ?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I was really saddened to learn of his passing. I loved his style.

Hopefully he didn't suffer too much.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Completely blindsided by this. I was driving with the lunch time news on when the reporter, without a noticeable sense of gloom or sorrow, said “Comedian Sean Lock…”. I was only casually listening, but was thinking “ooh, I like Sean Lock, I wonder if he’s touring…”.

When she followed up with “has died”, I genuinely, literally almost crashed the car. Just totally didn’t see it coming. I don’t know how long he’s been poorly for but I, like most people I assume, had absolutely no idea.

What a sad day. He had a brilliant and unique comic mind.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I can't find a clip but I loved the story about collecting lifebelts from harbour walls as a momento of his visits to seaside towns.
"The bonus is that they also have the name of the town on them"
"You do know you are not supposed to remove them"
"Well, they should secure them to the wall then so that nobody can nick them"
Very funny man was Sean.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I was on the road all day today and heard about it this morning. I've been genuinely sad all day.

A bloody funny man (I've seen him live several times now) who wasn't a fame-chaser or had a big ego - just a razor sharp man with a brilliant comedy mind.

Not often I contribute to RIP threads, but this one (to me) is different.

Hopefully, when I pass, he'll be doing gigs on the other side - and I'll get a ticket. :)

RIP Mr Lock.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
This is sad news, made me fully crack up many times, will be missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here