Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Phillip Hughes

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Shocking and extremely sad news. Desperately sad for his family and for Abbott, lives changed in a split second. What a tragic event.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A very sad day for cricket, you have to feel for Phil's family and for Abbott. A freak accident which thankfully is incredibly rare.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Really sad news. I haven't followed the news that closely. In what way did the ball hit him that a helmet did not offer sufficient protection?

As well as Hughes' family, it's hard to imagine what Abbott is going through. It might be very hard for him ever to bowl a bouncer again...
The ball was a standard bouncer sitting up to hit. Hughes went to pull, mistimed and the ball hit him on the left hand side at the back of the neck and base of skull (under the helmet). Apparently burst a major artery and flooded the skull with blood. He never regained consciousness.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just terrible. RIP and especially sorry for Abbott, just awful for him.

Just heard an interview on the radio with a CA Representative. He said the ball struck him behind the ear just below the helmet and damaged a major artery that instantly stopped the blood flow to his brain. His heart stopped almost immediately, he was resuscitated on the pitch, operated on to relieve the pressure and repair the artery but the damage was too great.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
awful news
RIP Phil

Very sad news this morning.

Spare a thought for Sean Abbot, this young man will carry the memory that he bowled the ball that ended his friends life forever.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Was genuinely shocked and saddened to hear this when I woke this morning. RIP Phil and be strong Sean.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Cant believe this news this morning. Never had a second thought that he wouldn't pull through. Truly tragic accident.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
25 years old, just a kid really, doing something he enjoyed and was good at. I can't stop thinking about this this morning, just such sad sad news.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Can't believe we won't be seeing him in the Ashes and playing for Australia for years to come.

Sounds like a totally freakish incident; Just the wrong place at the wrong time.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Woah, that is awful news. He was only playing cricket. Abbott must be feeling it hard.

RIP Phil.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Very tragic news and feel for his family, but also spare a thought for Sean Abbott who was bowling. Imagine having that on your conscience?

They do need to look into helmet design.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Tragic news to wake up to - doing what you love and to an innocuous delivery.

My thoughts to Phil's family and to Sean Abbott too, hopefully everyone can rally around him and support him through this.

RIP Phil. Shame we won't see you complete that innings.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Very tragic news and feel for his family, but also spare a thought for Sean Abbott who was bowling. Imagine having that on your conscience?

They do need to look into helmet design.

Apparently he wasn't wearing the latest design in helmets. Accidents do happen and nothing can cover every eventuality. It was a tragic accident and I feel for his family, friends and team mates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here