Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Phillip Hughes

Lev1

Jun 8, 2014
Such sad news; thoughts go out to the family of Phillip Hughes and the bowler too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just woke up to the tragic news, I'm stunned as I thought and hoped he would pull through. You don't expect to lose someone in such awful circumstances at that age. Condolencies to his family and to Sean Abbott who will carry this pain for the rest of his career.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Dreadfully sad news, such a waste of a great young talent.
RIP Phil

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Terribly sad, such a talented cricketer. A lot of cricket fans have STs at the Amex. A minutes clapping on 26 minutes on Saturday?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Just heard this on the drive into work, it's just gutting. Feel so incredibly sorry for both his family and Abbott, to lose anyone that young, regardless of circumstance, is tragic but to something as innocuous as a bounced delivery...horrible.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Really sad news. I haven't followed the news that closely. In what way did the ball hit him that a helmet did not offer sufficient protection?

As well as Hughes' family, it's hard to imagine what Abbott is going through. It might be very hard for him ever to bowl a bouncer again...

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
They had an interview with a company yesterday who have done just that. Unfortunately it came too late

RIP To a great cricketer. Really feel for the bowler, Abbott, who must be having a terrible time

All of this, and as Stumpy says too..life is a fragile thing, when you leave home to play a game of cricket and don't return. Tragic.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Really sad news. I haven't followed the news that closely. In what way did the ball hit him that a helmet did not offer sufficient protection?

As well as Hughes' family, it's hard to imagine what Abbott is going through. It might be very hard for him ever to bowl a bouncer again...

Very very sad for all concerned, who are going to take an awfully long time to get over this, and probably not ever totally. Looking to the future, can a helmet be adjusted to cover the area that the ball hit, I wonder, or is this impractical? As I understand it, the impact was below the helmet?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Gutted. Remember when we were teenagers playing cricket at school in the nets, whenever the teacher turned his back four or five kids would lob a cricket ball at the batsman. Always frightening if you were the one in the crease at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here