Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Lou Reed

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I love The Velvet Underground and all who sailed in them: Lou Reed, John Cale, the incomparable Nico...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just re-listening to that interview he gave at Sydney airport when they asked him why he took so many drugs.......

"It's better than playing monopoly"

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Not to mention a Dithcling-based bass player who received £12 for creating one of the most famous (if simplest) bass lines ever.

Good old Herbie! £12 for a couple of hours session work in 1972.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Three of my student days favourites from the early/mid 70's have now died relatively recently - Kevin Ayers, J.J. Cale and now Lou Reed.

Transformer is still one of my all-time favourite albums, but there was so much more to him that "Walk on the Wild Side", classic though it is.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not to mention a Dithcling-based bass player who received £12 for creating one of the most famous (if simplest) bass lines ever.

Did he actually create it or did he play it like he was asked to?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Mail's hatchet job/obituary today makes for a very depressing read.

My favourite bit about it is that it manages to have a really good dig at the BBC, I mean why let a death get in the way of petty point scoring against a cherished institution?

Still at least his dad's not a Marxist, they would have had a field day then.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Figurehead of the most influential band ever, sad. When I say that, I mean bands that meant something, bands that I love. The Beatles spawned more bands but the Velvets changed the face of music and every single thing i listen to is influenced by them.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I was really stopped in my tracks when I heard this yesterday, in a hotel by myself I was frozen.

I love the velvet underground and all the memories they bring and my sister was a big Nico fan, but for me Transformer is an album I have played probably once a week since the day I heard it. Its one of those soundtracks that is timeless for me and one I will always treasure.

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
The Grauniad has already added a kinda disclaimer to the most memorable rock interview of the past decade:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2003/may/19/artsfeatures.popandrock

However , in today's Guardian letters :

"I know I am a lone dissenting voice, but the truth is that Lou Reed was a poor musician (Obituary, 29 October). He could hardly sing or play. He also had an appalling effect on music, especially in Britain, being one of the main influences on the disastrous and unmusical punk movement, which flooded the scene with DIY players and destroyed the skill base here for years. He furthermore promoted heroin openly, leading to more horror. I can't help feeling anger at the way he is revered. And a blow to his "alternative" status: it was revealed this week on BBC TV News' that after the disintegration of the execrable Velvet Underground, he went back to working for his father's accountancy firm. Hip!"
Pete Brown
London

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
BBC4, 9pm tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here