Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RIP Gerry Ryan

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
One of Gerry's siblings hired me at an early stage in my career. We didn't agree on much, but one thing that did unite us was our shared admiration of his prodigious footballing skills.

I'm very sorry for your loss, Angie.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
RIP.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I remember his home debut. He ripped the opponent’s ( Preston?) right back a new one in the first half who was then subbed off. Think we were leading 3-0 at the break.

Sadly I was also there at Selhurst when the terrible tackle from Henry Hughton ended his career.
RIP Gerry.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Fabulous and underrated player. Always a frisson of excitement when our moustachioed Irishman got the ball. Thanks for the distant but still strong memories Gerry.

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
Very sad news indeed. RIP Gerry and condolences to your friends and family. I raise a glass to you Sir, and thank you. It is nearly forty-four years since my friends talked me into going to the Goldstone, and you were pivotal to me very quickly becoming obsessed with Brighton and Hove Albion. That day you walked around the MAN City defence in a four one victory, was my eighteenth birthday.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
RIP Gerry.

I recall his debut at The Goldstone. That mane of hair. Didn't know a lot about him but hoping he'd fit into the team. More of a wide player back then and he duly gave his marker a torrid time. Hmm, this guy's going to be OK...

Those goals against Liverpool will always stand out in my memory.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Albion on the tv in the fa cup!
Running downstairs to tell mum and dad we’d scored . Coming back up , and then heading straight back down.
Albion 2 Liverpool 0.
I was hooked from that moment til now.

1985ish
Gerry Ryan was guest of honour at a show at Henfield Village Hall.
I hovered around him to get his autograph.
He signed my book and I said “I saw you on the telly”. He laughed and said “maybe that’ll be you one day little man “.
Wasn’t to be. We can’t all have Gerry Ryan’s talent.

RIP and condolences to Darragh and family.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I remember his home debut. He ripped the opponent’s ( Preston?) right back a new one in the first half who was then subbed off. Think we were leading 3-0 at the break.

Sadly I was also there at Selhurst when the terrible tackle from Henry Hughton ended his career.
RIP Gerry.
Same here, you could hear the contact. Horrible.

He later started to play cricket for Haywards Heath III's. He was playing at Horsham. At the time I was running the bar in the pavilion. He had yet to take on the Witch and asked me if I'd show him the cellar and the "ropes" behind the bar. Years later when I had my own pubs, Gerry had become Chairman of the local Pub Watch. We would meet or call often. That's when I first met Ben's Grandad.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This has genuinely given me a jolt. I met Gerry a few times in the day and I made sure the cricket teams I was playing for and against all used to frequent his pub after matches. An absolute football hero of mine and the lovliest of blokes you could meet

The word legend is often used, but seldom deserved. Gerry is one of them who can be genuinely described as a legend

Sleep well big man

You brought joy and friendship to a lot of us.

Rest in peace.
A life well lived.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
One of my favourite all-time players and a true Albion legend. That goal against Man City was probably my greatest memory as well as the sickening tackle at Palace. He was such a nice guy though, taken far too soon. A very sad day. RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here