Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] RIP Frank Farian

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Gave Boney M to the world of music but later slightly blotted his copy book by instigating the Milli Vanilli fraud.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I believe it was his money which set up the, at the time, uber modern, and now legendary, Hansa Studios. This place has recorded, produced and/or mastered many iconic records over the years. I’ll let everyone Google the discography. It’s still operating as s studio to this day. His legacy is fare reaching.

RIP

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
RIP
I love Boney M, stonking tunes.
You’re not wrong. Also partly responsible for, arguably, the greatest ever TOTP performance; Bobby Farrell is at his peak in this song and also this performance.

Let’s face it, who hasn’t thought….f*** it, it’s Thursday…I think I’ll do a massive line of coke, don a silver cat suit and matching furry cape and prance around incongruously to my colleagues and completely out of time with the music in front of the nation. We’ve all been there.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You’re not wrong. Also partly responsible for, arguably, the greatest ever TOTP performance; Bobby Farrell is at his peak in this song and also this performance.

Let’s face it, who hasn’t thought….f*** it, it’s Thursday…I think I’ll do a massive line of coke, don a silver cat suit and matching furry cape and prance around incongruously to my colleagues and completely out of time with the music in front of the nation. We’ve all been there.

Whilst lip-synching to a little ginger german :thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Only the one line ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Gave Boney M to the world of music but later slightly blotted his copy book by instigating the Milli Vanilli fraud.
I bloomin well loved that Milli Vanilli song and I don’t care who sang it .

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Loved Boney M.

As a kid I was reluctantly taken to see them at the Brighton Centre in 1978 … but was soon won over, they were amazing.

RIP.
I was there trying to look cool dancing at the front mesmerised by the three beauties gyrating in their white jump suits.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Frank was underrated. Boney M get a bit of stick as being the uncool end of disco, but he made some great pop records with them and with Eruption (One Way Ticket & I Can't Stand The Rain). I always though that the Milli Vanilli backlash was a bit over the top to cover the embarrassment of them being given a Grammy. Frank always made records with session musicians and got prettier people to front them. Bobby never sang a word on the Boney M records, but nobody seemed to care back then. Spector did it, Jonathan King did it over here. The Milli Vanilli thing seemed a bit more dishonest, but the revelation of who was singing shouldn't have changed people's view on the record itself. They should have just given Frank the Grammy instead.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
The weirdest Boney M thing I've come across is that they did a Europop version of Iron Butterfly's 17 minute psych classic In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida on the b-side of one of their singles, and mimed to it one time on German TV

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The weirdest Boney M thing I've come across is that they did a Europop version of Iron Butterfly's 17 minute psych classic In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida on the b-side of one of their singles, and mimed to it one time on German TV

I have an album called 'The Essential Boney M' that has their cover of 'No Woman No Cry' on it. 'Essential' is a very strong word... though my wife said she liked it! Maybe more than she liked the Wailers' version.

Does anyone have the number for Relate?

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Frank was underrated. Boney M get a bit of stick as being the uncool end of disco, but he made some great pop records with them and with Eruption (One Way Ticket & I Can't Stand The Rain). I always though that the Milli Vanilli backlash was a bit over the top to cover the embarrassment of them being given a Grammy. Frank always made records with session musicians and got prettier people to front them. Bobby never sang a word on the Boney M records, but nobody seemed to care back then. Spector did it, Jonathan King did it over here. The Milli Vanilli thing seemed a bit more dishonest, but the revelation of who was singing shouldn't have changed people's view on the record itself. They should have just given Frank the Grammy instead.
We all know Jonathan King did it over here!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I partly grew up in Germany in a very nice little town north of Frankfurt where Frank Farian had a holiday home and a recording studio. We used to see him around all the time, just before Boney M went stratospheric.

I remember having a little chat with him and all the members of the group Eruption who he was producing at the time. They stood out a bit in that time and place and were very sweet to an annoying little kid.

His music was the soundtrack to that era - a sad loss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here