Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Chester City

Chester City FC: Chester City expelled from the Football Conference
Feb 26 2010 By Alec Doyle

Chester City FC

CHESTER City have been expelled from the Football Conference in a vote by the league’s member clubs.

No-one at the club was available for comment this afternoon.

City Fans United’s initial reaction to the news was one of sadness.

*** Let us know your thoughts on this at our blog ***

"This is a sad day in the history of the football club," said CFU spokesman Jeff Banks.

"But the right decision was made. Conference chairmen have looked at the bigger picture and seen that this was the best way forward for the football club.

"We must now continue with our plans to form a new football club in the city."

Barrie Hipkiss, once a player at the club and a fan for more than 60 years, said he was devastated.

"This is the last thing I wanted to see happen," he said. "I feel for the players, the youngsters, the groundstaff, Tony Allen the secretary, because this is a bad day for them.

"I spoke to Bob Gray earlier and he said he was sure tomorrow’s game against Oxford would be on but he was looking at pounds, shillings and pence.

"I would have liked to see the club survive but realistically I could not see us fulfilling our fixtures and that was the key point.

"I have also lost a lot of respect for Stephen Vaughan. I volunteered at the club and gave a lot to it and he then comes out and calls the fans idiots.

"That didn’t go down very well and if he’s calling me an idiot, well, he’s lost my respect."

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
used to go to Chester a lot because my gran lives near there, nice place, always had a soft spot for Chester City :(

That is sad.

As I said on another thread, I was there ten years ago when we beat them 7 - 1.

Nice place Chester, except for the ground and the gobby scousers that seem to work in every pub.

(got a feeling that's where Zamorra made his debut for us on loan and scored three)

Zamora's first appearance for us was as a substitute against Plymouth Argyle (the week before the Chester game) and he did score for us.

His first start for us was at Chester. (And I woz there!)

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Great City to visit as long as it doesn't involve footy! RIP Chester City FC.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Went to the old Sealand Road ground and saw Fred Binney have half the length of the pitch to run at the Chester keeper. Of course that gave him too much time to think and he shot weekly straight at the keeper. Probably from being knackered as well by the time he got there. I think they had Larry May in their team that day. Anyway we lost 3-0

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I got chatting to a Chester City supporter as I was checking out of the hotel I stayed at near Doncaster last week. He spotted my Albion bag and showed me his Chester one! They had been playing nearby (and won 3-1) and he was fairly positive about things. He said he had been cheering us on v Wrexham!

I don't think it will be too long before they are back at Conference/League 2 level.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I remember watching us play Chester at The Goldstone and remember their manager was Alan Oakes ex Man City player cant remember a lot about the game except that I was very impressed with the way they played. Oakes obviously realised their capability so they played everything very simple and professionally and were very affective.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I remember watching us play Chester at The Goldstone and remember their manager was Alan Oakes ex Man City player cant remember a lot about the game except that I was very impressed with the way they played. Oakes obviously realised their capability so they played everything very simple and professionally and were very affective.

I also remember playing them at the Goldstone. One of their Directors was Terry Scott of Terry & June fame. He spent the whole game standing up in the Directors Box loudly abusing every Albion supporter within earshot. Non stop verbals for the full 90 minutes. Must be almost 30 years ago but I've never fogotten it.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I also remember playing them at the Goldstone. One of their Directors was Terry Scott of Terry & June fame. He spent the whole game standing up in the Directors Box loudly abusing every Albion supporter within earshot. Non stop verbals for the full 90 minutes. Must be almost 30 years ago but I've never fogotten it.

That's an interesting bit of info. Scott was from Surrey so his first love must surely have been Sodhurst and its (in those days) grass bank terraces.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Shame. Great place & great memories of the 2-2 draw up there back in the late eighties
Eh? You do realise that Chester re-formed, still play at their old ground (Deva Stadium, which they moved to from Sealand Road) and today (Mar 10 2012) they're playing in the Northern Premier League against Bradford Park Avenue - another former Football League team that went bust and re-formed. Not bad progress in the two years since the old Chester club originally folded (check the start date of this thread).

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Zamora's first appearance for us was as a substitute against Plymouth Argyle (the week before the Chester game) and he did score for us.

His first start for us was at Chester. (And I woz there!)

so was I and on the way home stopped for a burger and he was in the cue in front of me so I gave the young lad a few words of wisdom and just look what happened

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here