Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] RIP Alan Minter

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Panther was at the bottom of my road! Now called the Roe Deer.

I trust it has improved? Wasn't a place we went into much but it had a certain charm, of sorts. Was more Red Cross or The Market with a period spent in The Desert Rat or The Castle. And a few others with better gardens in the summer. Still do a few of them a couple of times a year when we meet up with old college chums. Always been a great selection of boozers in reigate. A great town.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I suspect that today's boxers, with their diets and training and lifestyles (OK, maybe not the Gypsy King, :lolol:) would have all of the boxers from the 1980s and before for breakfast. Same deal as with football.

Not disagreeing about the fights (or the football) being exciting, though. That's a different issue. :thumbsup:

Football yes, boxing no in terms of modern day vs old era.

Boxers in the 80’s and before generally lived the life and didn’t lead a typical footballers lifestyle.

I’d also argue fighters were tougher and hungrier 20/30 years ago.

Hagler, Leonard, Hearns, Duran and other former greats would still clean up now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Boxers in the 80’s and before generally lived the life and didn’t lead a typical footballers lifestyle.

Hagler, Leonard, Hearns, Duran and other former greats would still clean up now.

Those 4, plus Wilfredo Benitez, were simply amazing boxers in any era. In the same bracket as Sugar Ray Robinson. The full skill set, brutal, artists.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Alan Minter was a decent enough bloke considering the family he came from.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Great boxer until Marvin Hagler took him apart [literally]
RIP
I always thought Minters in Lindfield was something to do with him [now Limes Thai?

Before that fight I was told he was saying in the town "no ****ing coon is going to take my title"

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I have got the programme from that match signed by Minter and both teams - as a 9 year old it was my pride and joy. In fact, it is still the best set of autographs I possess - that Forest Team had some big names.

I remember that game when he came on the pitch before or at h/t at the Goldstone after winning a title.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Maybe. Sadly we shall never know :thumbsup:

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
RIP Alan Minter.

Sounds like his dad was a piece of work. Boxing is brutal and doesn’t help anyone’s mental state. He got me watching it. It was a golden era made better by his presence.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I suspect that today's boxers, with their diets and training and lifestyles (OK, maybe not the Gypsy King, :lolol:) would have all of the boxers from the 1980s and before for breakfast. Same deal as with football.

Not disagreeing about the fights (or the football) being exciting, though. That's a different issue. :thumbsup:
So you think the likes of BJS Would beat Haggler Hearn Duran Sugar Ray Even with the diet

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So you think the likes of BJS Would beat Haggler Hearn Duran Sugar Ray Even with the diet

If you had a time machine and could bring the top ten ranked boxers in any weight together for a series of matches, with the boxers all protected in a time bubble that provided them with their own time experience, diet, lifestyle etc thnn, on average, the modern guys would win. Yes, that's what I think. All we need to do is build a time machine and we can test this out.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Boxing just seemed a bit more real when I was watching it growing up in the 70s and 80s.

I remember watching Minter v Kevin Finnegan. Real wars. John H Stracey thumping Jose Napoles. There was also an absolutely epic fight between Gypsy Johnny Frankham and Chris Finnegan which sticks in my mind.

It may be rose tinted but those days just don’t seem to happen anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

macky

Dec 28, 2004
If you had a time machine and could bring the top ten ranked boxers in any weight together for a series of matches, with the boxers all protected in a time bubble that provided them with their own time experience, diet, lifestyle etc thnn, on average, the modern guys would win. Yes, that's what I think. All we need to do is build a time machine and we can test this out.

As you ay we will never know But at least they would fight each other Which they point blank refuse to do these days So i see you are say that fury AJ Would beat Tyson Lewis Holyfield Yea sure see where you are coming from Those three I just named would need no diet to beat what's around at the moment But as said before we will never know

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good to see that clip again. I remember that: we'd just returned to uni and went out to buy a telly that day as we wanted to see the fight.

Hagler was some boxer, he'd have been a match for anyone in any era: Minter had no chance.

I'd forgotten about the disgraceful scenes at the end

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I lived in Redhill in the mid 90s, I sometimes used to drink in the White Hart in Reigate. I remember one evening when Minter agreed to fight one of the local knuckledraggers (there were lots) outside for £50. Sad sight. RIP.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
_114827700_mediaitem114827699.jpg

Very dignified :bowdown:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-54481784

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Boxing just seemed a bit more real when I was watching it growing up in the 70s and 80s.

I remember watching Minter v Kevin Finnegan. Real wars. John H Stracey thumping Jose Napoles. There was also an absolutely epic fight between Gypsy Johnny Frankham and Chris Finnegan which sticks in my mind.

It may be rose tinted but those days just don’t seem to happen anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same era, I remember:
Sibson v Frankie Lucas
Stracey v Dave Boy Green
Plus many more.

Thanks to Harry Carpenter’s Sports Night and also great R2 commentary. Fond memories.

Some supporters took a defeat badly, not just Minter to Hagler, but some of the gypsy boxers fans turned violent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here