Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] RIP Alan Minter

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Those men What fights we had back then Today's boxers don't know they are born

I suspect that today's boxers, with their diets and training and lifestyles (OK, maybe not the Gypsy King, :lolol:) would have all of the boxers from the 1980s and before for breakfast. Same deal as with football.

Not disagreeing about the fights (or the football) being exciting, though. That's a different issue. :thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He lived in littlehampton up until a couple of years ago.
He was a local at the VIP Club, The Empress and The George.

The Empress, if I’m thinking of the right place, is one bizarre bar. The decor is extraordinary.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When my half brother died of a rare virus, in 1980, the Aquarium pub held various events to raise money for his widow & 18 month old daughter. Alan Minter donated his boxing gloves for a raffle.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Empress, if I’m thinking of the right place, is one bizarre bar.

The Empress over looks the River Arun.
The decor is different to most bars to be fair.

Yes, I think that’s the one. Popped in there on a walking trip once. It was perfectly serviceable but rather strange I thought .

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
This is Alan Minter's finest hour IMHO.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Many years ago he took over the queen adelaide pub in Penge with his father in law Doug bidwell . He used to pop in from time to time and seemed amiable enough. What I remember most was his small stature and his messed up hooter.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is Alan Minter's finest hour IMHO.

That's so sad. It is a preview of the absolute mediocrity that awaits us after we have finally gone back to where we were in 1980, (post brexit), semi detached from the EU and a tinpot shitehouse nation, about to be rogered by a populist despot, while whiffy dimbots like Das Reich had it like it was up and down the terraces :facepalm:

Minter was actually putting on the barrow boy turned under butler accent populised by Sir Alf 'most certainly' Ramsey. What a total embarrassment.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When my half brother died of a rare virus, in 1980, the Aquarium pub held various events to raise money for his widow & 18 month old daughter. Alan Minter donated his boxing gloves for a raffle.

No wonder he lost every fight after that. What was he thinking? ???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes, used to see him in Reigate every weekend in my early drinking days in the 90’s.

The Market was a favourite of his. Never found him too much trouble but a few of his hangers on were pretty unsavoury.

I recall a night in The Panther and him regaling is with tales of buying sports cars with Mike Tyson.
He then fell off his stool and offered the landlord out.

He liked a drink. Frankly I’m surprised he made it this far.

Great boxer though.
The Panther was at the bottom of my road! Now called the Roe Deer.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
The Panther was at the bottom of my road! Now called the Roe Deer.

didnt one Mr Fat Boy Slim work behind bar in the Panther??, I think him and Paul Heaton also drunk in the New Inn in Redhill(now a plumming centre) and did a couple of gigs in the Greyhound (now flats) obviously long before any fame

Panther had a good duke box and pool table it was a dcent pub pub, not been there for years and fuessing noe its the roe deer its a bit more hoity toity? Desert Rat also got a name change and went up market, cant remeber what its called now days

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Sad news for his family but, he was apparently a nasty piece of work. When I lived in crawley many lifetimes ago it seemed everyone had an Alan Minter story and they rarely caste him in a good light.

When we first moved to Crawley he literally lived a couple of houses away from us in a 3 bed semi like ours and he seemed OK, he's arrange for local kids to "spar" with him in a ring in his back garden and stuff like that.
Once he got "even more famous" it seemed to go to his head a bit, and like you say, there's a lot of stories about him - and his family.

However, lets remember him for the good times.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
True that.

Can't remember if it was Alan Minter or his father that had the restaurant in the High St just up from the White Hart. I think it's an ASK now.

That's the one, it was a nice place to eat before the Minters bought it - after that we stopped going when it seemed to be a place where the owner drank too much and shouted at his customers (allegedly).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here