Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Ricky Gervais.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Can’t say I found it that funny. All very obvious targets. I mean, yeah, It raises a few chuckles but really that funny? I suppose it is quite funny. Kind of. Yeah. I suppose. A bit.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
His GG hosting compilation is a must watch on YouTube, so many great put downs. As said above, this year’s probably his most savage yet and I doubt he’ll get to do another.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can’t say I found it that funny. All very obvious targets. I mean, yeah, It raises a few chuckles but really that funny? I suppose it is quite funny. Kind of. Yeah. I suppose. A bit.

I know what you mean. The highlighting Hollywood hypocrisy, the virtue signalling from all those stars that happily pick up their paychecks from whatever companies and their appalling records on the environment, human rights, or whatever else, the disgraced executives, all rightly making the audience squirm in their seats. Having a pop at someone because they're short, yeah not so much, that just seems like shock value for the sake of it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
His GG hosting compilation is a must watch on YouTube, so many great put downs. As said above, this year’s probably his most savage yet and I doubt he’ll get to do another.

Gervais had already said this would be his last time hosting the Golden Globes back in November when it was announced he'd be returning to host for the 5th time. However money talks and they love the coverage his hosting gets so I'm sure he'll be back one day.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m sure a few ceremonies ago he kept saying “this is the last”.

Meh

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gervais had already said this would be his last time hosting the Golden Globes back in November when it was announced he'd be returning to host for the 5th time. However money talks and they love the coverage his hosting gets so I'm sure he'll be back one day.

I'm certain he's said that at least twice before.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Same every year, designed to make these dull ceremonies seem interesting

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Taking the establishment corporate dollar while simultaneously slagging them off and appearing anti-establishment in the process. I suppose it's genius in a way, either by Gervais or the corporates booking him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Shame he’s not an Albion fan, I’d love to see him posting on NSC

Nah, what would be the point? He'd call droopy a 'mong' and get an instant ban. :shrug:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I am sure they know by now what they are getting. Someone pays him (presumably pretty well) to be outrageous and it obviously has the desired effect for all concerned.

It's a feature of the Golden Globes isn't it, the guests know what they're in for a most take it in good spirit.

Tina Fey and Amy Poehlar have taken the piss when they've hosted but not to the extent that Gervais does.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
At least the celeb's only had to put up with him one night a year and not have to sit through one of Gervais's series.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Played Ricky!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Having watched this and previous ones I'm left with the feeling, even more so this time, that what this actually achieves is in the interests of the Holywood stars and the industry behind them. RG gets to make some very near-the-knuckle observational jokes at their expense, and they get to be seen reacting (mostly taking it on the chin like the humble folk they are in 'real life'), which leaves (most of) us thinking something like "look, they are human after all, let he who hasn't sinned...." etc etc. In a way, it has the effect of actually lessening the impact of the dirty deeds that infest the industry. Or am I overthinking this?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here