Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
image.jpg

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A voice from my childhood. He'll be missed by every cricket lover.

Cheers Richie.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps the Barmy Army could stage an appropriate tribute when (if!) England reach 222 at any point during the forthcoming West Indies series.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
On Botham in 1981........'never mind looking for that, let alone chasing it. It's gone straight into the confectionery stand and out again......'

"He wasn't even looking, he just smashed it away like he was swatting a fly.."

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He was one of those commentators, unlike the abundance of ex-captain's, who was there to inform not entertain.

Tuning in to the Nat West Final you would encounter long periods of silence, hearing the chattering of the crowd and feeling the atmosphere of the day. The camera would move to the square and the next ball would be delivered. Richie might say a single line, or not. You knew exactly the circumstances of the match, and how it was balanced. There was no need for a sarcastic quip about the lack of hair on the bonce of a co-commentator. If you love Cricket, Richie was all you needed to supplement your enjoyment of it.

There are still some fine people in TMS, but the last of the great television commentators has sadly lost his wicket, and I fear that is 'all-out'.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Another thing to add to all the comments so far was despite being a former Australian player and captain, whenever he was commentating on the Ashes he seemed completely neutral on who he wanted to win, which was very professional and part of the reason he was so popular this side of the world as well.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
he always reminds me of those long hot summers in the 70s

genuinely sad to hear this news

tbh never realised what a great cricketer he was in his own right

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here