Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richie Benaud dead

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Certainly the greatest commentator of all time on any sport, IMHO. A sad loss indeed.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dreadful, I'm genuinely upset as I felt, like all of us, that I knew him personally. THE greatest TV cricket commentator and one of the all-time broadcasting legends, and of course he's been doing it since I was a boy. Feeling very depressed.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Really sad news; he's been commentating all my cricket watching life. I'd agree that Arlott had more of a way with words but Richie had the sharp analytical mind to go with it. Great player and a really great captain (one of the best, if not the best ever), fantastic commentator. RIP Richie - 16 years short of your century

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Thank you Ritchie, very grateful that I am old enough to have been able to listen to you at your peak, RIP.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
'Morning Everyone!'

Sad news indeed. Loved the guys commentary and I think he was agenuinely great bloke too.

BBC quotation:

"And Glenn McGrath dismissed for two, just ninety-eight runs short of his century"

brilliant!

TNBA

TTF

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Sad times indeed, a true cricketing legend.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A great cricketer, captain, commentator and human being.
R.I.P. Richie............a true icon.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A sad start to the day.

As their ex-Captain I'm sure he was pleased to see the Aussies return to the top of the heap before he was dismissed.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Very sad news indeed. A voice that accompanied many a happy summer for my brother and I as we sat glued to the test matches during the holidays. A true great both as a player and without doubt one of the best commentators on ANY sport.

RIP Richie

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
My favourite commentator and for me another of those links to growing up in the 1970s, with the test matches always on TV or the Channel 9 highlights. RIP Richie and thank you.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Very sad news indeed. A voice that accompanied many a happy summer for my brother and I as we sat glued to the test matches during the holidays. A true great both as a player and without doubt one of the best commentators on ANY sport.

RIP Richie

Couldn't agree with you more, when I heard the news this morning just thought back to all the summer days of my youth and this....

Morning Ritchie,

Morning Jim,

Morning everybody............and England in a spot of trouble here

I do think the best sporting commentator there was too.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
" And here he comes from the gasholder end" RIP Richie, you'll be missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here