Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Returning Loanees

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’m sure there’s a thread on this somewhere but I can’t find it.

Can those who follow these things provide an update on who from our loanees is likely to come back and play a part in our first team squad next season? I think we have the following who could be involved, but I may have missed someone, and I haven’t followed the progress of any of them closely so hoping others have…

- Adingra
- Kozlowski
- Sima?
- Rushworth?
- Alzate?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I wouldn't say that I'm that close to it, but to try and complete the loan picture:

Hayden Roberts - On loan in L1, likely to be a loan to the championship if he extends his contract
Aaron Connolly - Who knows but Hull seem to want to sign him on a perm. Probably best for all concerned
Jensen Weir - Heard rumours that we may not extend his contract but if we do, I expect either another L1 loan of Champsionship
Marc Leonard - Played loads for Northampton in L1 and earned rave reviews. Championship for him too but may get the chance to impress in pre-season
Reda Khadra - May flatter to deceive. Always looks to have great potential, but Championship again either perm or loan could be his best option
Teddy Jenks - Tough spell on loan at Crawley
Andi Zeqiri - Basel have an option to buy, he seems to like it there so I expect that's where he'll stay
Michal Karbownik - Seem to remember him having a loan to buy option too
Kjell Scherpen - Had a decent spell with Vitesse, stiff competition for the GK shirt though
Ed Turns - Very decent spell with Orient and earned promotion, likely a L1 loan on the cards
James Beadle - Again, did well on his loan but will struggle to break ahead of those in front of him just yet
Antef Tsoungui - Loan to Belgium and barely played
Todd Miller - Some apps on his loan to Doncaster so another loan

So when I think about genuine contenders for the first team. I'd only maybe add Marc Leonard. His stats seem to bee prime De Zerbi and potentially losing one or both of Mac Allister or Caicedo could be the perfect time for him to force his way into contention along with Alzate and Kozlowski in midfield.

Rushworth will likely be either a loan into the Championship to continue his development or he could be the Sanchez replacement. Adingra seems nailed on to rejoin the squad and Sima has had a decent season but hasn't pulled up any trees.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I wouldn't say that I'm that close to it, but to try and complete the loan picture:

Hayden Roberts - On loan in L1, likely to be a loan to the championship if he extends his contract
Aaron Connolly - Who knows but Hull seem to want to sign him on a perm. Probably best for all concerned
Jensen Weir - Heard rumours that we may not extend his contract but if we do, I expect either another L1 loan of Champsionship
Marc Leonard - Played loads for Northampton in L1 and earned rave reviews. Championship for him too but may get the chance to impress in pre-season
Reda Khadra - May flatter to deceive. Always looks to have great potential, but Championship again either perm or loan could be his best option
Andi Zeqiri - Basel have an option to buy, he seems to like it there so I expect that's where he'll stay
Kjell Scherpen - Had a decent spell with Vitesse, stiff competition for the GK shirt though
Ed Turns - Very decent spell with Orient and earned promotion, likely a L1 loan on the cards
James Beadle - Again, did well on his loan but will struggle to break ahead of those in front of him just yet

So when I think about genuine contenders for the first team. I'd only maybe add Marc Leonard. His stats seem to bee prime De Zerbi and potentially losing one or both of Mac Allister or Caicedo could be the perfect time for him to force his way into contention along with Alzate and Kozlowski in midfield.

Rushworth will likely be either a loan into the Championship to continue his development or he could be the Sanchez replacement. Adingra seems nailed on to rejoin the squad and Sima has had a decent season but hasn't pulled up any trees.
It could kick off at the dinner table if that happens

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

This looks like a full and accurate assessment, and I suspect that most of this will transpire (not all, but we're basically taking punts). Just one minor issue, you might have under-estimated Turns. I gather that he's been one of the PotS in L2, so would imagine a Championship loan the likeliest.
We shall see.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

Can those who follow these things provide an update on who from our loanees is likely to come back and play a part in our first team squad next season? I think we have the following who could be involved, but I may have missed someone, and I haven’t followed the progress of any of them closely so hoping others have…

- Adingra
- Kozlowski
- Sima?
- Rushworth?
- Alzate?
Is this the thread you were thinking of? Hard to find as it doesn’t have loan in the title.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

Exactly what I was after, thanks! I’m not entirely convinced Alzate is at the level of an upper half of PL side - I like him but he feels more Davy Propper than Moises Caicedo. Koslowski seems like he has a much higher ceiling from the little I do know.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Random predictions

I have a sneaking suspicion that Turns will impress in pre season and be given a squad place.

I also have a guess that Alzate will look incredible in pre season and be farmed out somewhere again much to everyone's confusion.

Rushworth I think will be given his chance to play some cup games for us next season.

Karbo seems to be making a late charge. It will depend on his contractual position.

Sima, Khadra, Connolly Scherpen, and a good few of the other youngsters to leave the club

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

- Adingra
- Kozlowski
- Sima?
- Rushworth?
- Alzate?
If only there'd been a thread tracking loanees progress throughout the season, eh? :whistle:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Good piece from WeAreBrighton on exactly this today.

including this graph (Taylor Richards - you can strike off - he's signed for QPR - they took up their option)

loanees.png

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Adingra is probably the one who you can really see making a push for the starting 11 and will surely be kept around.

Alzate is someone I've always liked and found it a bit odd that he was loaned out in the interim between the Potter and De Zerbi reigns and wasn't given a chance to impress Roberto. He's very versatile (which has perhaps been his downfall) and athletic. Maybe he could find himself featuring in the squad next season and I think De Zerbi could get a lot out of him. A good option off the bench and occasional starts but will it be enough for him at this stage in his career

James Furlong seems to have a bit of promise and other than Pervis is basically our only other left back but the step up might be too much from Motherwell so maybe a Championship loan spell

Scherpen may have another loan spell coming his way...I may be wrong but I seem to remember him not being that great on the ball?

Karbownik seems like he may be leaving permanently

Khadra has a lot of potential but perhaps lacks consistency which I can't see De Zerbi being too impressed with. Maybe another loan

Koslowski, who knows, appears to be a bit of a forgotten man and hasn't quite kicked on as imagined. Maybe De Zerbi will want to look at him in pre season and decide

Connolly....surely he'll be leaving permanently. On one hand I think if anyone can kick start his career it'd be Roberto but also I feel that he's simply not at the level that we need

Zeqiri is probably leaving permanently

Spong- needs another loan spell at a club that isn't shit like Crawley

Turns- had a great season in league two and impressed me when he's played for us in the cups. League 1 or even Championship loan for him

Tsoungai- Has hardly featured on loan this season so I can't see him featuring for us

Miller- another spell in league two me thinks or a permanent move away

Beadle- had a great season in league two, get him a league one spell

Rushworth- I'd perhaps keep him here and use him in cups. Great promise

Roberts- Give him a Championship loan

Jenks- same as Spong.

Leonard- really impressed in league two and seems to tick a few De Zerbi boxes. I'd see how he does in pre season and either keep him around or see how he gets on higher up. Either at a upper league 1 side or even championship

Weir- done well in league 1 so try him in the championship

Sima- He is perhaps the wildcard as it appears that his performances are improving towards the end of the season. However with Ferguson, Welbeck and Pedro in his way I can't see him playing much if he was kept around, so maybe 1 more loan

Tolaj- doesn't seem to be at our level at all

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Good piece from WeAreBrighton on exactly this today.

including this graph (Taylor Richards - you can strike off - he's signed for QPR - they took up their option)

View attachment 160994
Interesting that there aren't that many teenagers in there. Lots of 21 to 23 year olds.

Especially when you see that there are 18 and 19 year olds performing incredibly in our first team.

Not drawing any conclusions, as of course different players develop at different speeds, but I can see a good number of the above released or sold rather than loaned out again.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I'm excited about Leonard, had something about him when he's played for us and has excelled in the DM role in a league where it's a real bloody slog playing in midfield. Has very similar stats to Moises so deserves a chance over the summer. He looks to be the Brit most likely to feature from that list.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Noticed he was in this week's training pics, training with the first team

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tsoungai- Has hardly featured on loan this season so I can't see him featuring for u

Tolaj- doesn't seem to be at our level at all
The reason Antef Tsoungui has hardly played is because he left his loan at Lommel weeks ago. His reasons haven't been revealed, AFAIK - is he even still with the Albion?* Maybe there's a story there - maybe all will be revealed some day?

Tolaj has had two very unsuccessful loan spells, with little or no game time in League 2 or the Scottish Championship - I don't believe he's scored a goal at either. Looks lke one of the more likely ones to be released, om the surface anyway.

Edit: * Just seen the post above. Obviously he is back with us - that is good news. Him and Turns were a formidable CB partnership in PL2.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Antef Tsoungui has been linked with a move to Feyenoord. Suggestion is he has come home early to concentrate on his next move but no idea if that's a perm or loan. Have the feeling he has been told he can leave. Obviously all can change if RDZ is impressed so a really important few weeks from him. Was really rated before his nasty injury.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Just to waffle a bit: whenever I saw Antef Tsoungui playing for the U21s he always looked like one of the better players on the pitch. Question imho is not if he's a decent player but if he fits our team and system.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here