Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Results Went Well For Us Tonight

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
A man after my own heart... the "Huddersfield Miracle" is my least favourite sporting narrative of recent times.

They got lucky playing hopeless Palace on the opening day and followed that up with 1-0 v Newcastle to go 6pts from 2 games.

Since then they have 9pts from 12 games and a number of seriously bad results on their Premier League CV.

There is no miracle. They made astute loan signings last year and had a good team that reached 5th place in the league and were 12pts away from automatic promotion (i.e. Brighton). Wagner is obviously a decent football coach but there is absolutely no evidence yet to support his own hype.

Miracle is obviously tabloid hyperbole. However, while the likes of Moyes and Pardew go from job to job being paid a small fortune for their mediocrity I can't get wound up by praise for a manager taking a team to the Premier League on a shoestring and then having them sitting 14th as we speak. He has done a fantastic job self evidently, right up there with CH's efforts.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Miracle is obviously tabloid hyperbole. However, while the likes of Moyes and Pardew go from job to job being paid a small fortune for their mediocrity I can't get wound up by praise for a manager taking a team to the Premier League on a shoestring and then having them sitting 14th as we speak. He has done a fantastic job self evidently, right up there with CH's efforts.

Yep. And he'll be doing a fantastic job if they finish as high as 19th. Which they actually might, thanks to West Ham.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A man after my own heart... the "Huddersfield Miracle" is my least favourite sporting narrative of recent times.

They got lucky playing hopeless Palace on the opening day and followed that up with 1-0 v Newcastle to go 6pts from 2 games.

Since then they have 9pts from 12 games and a number of seriously bad results on their Premier League CV.

There is no miracle. They made astute loan signings last year and had a good team that reached 5th place in the league and were 12pts away from automatic promotion (i.e. Brighton). Wagner is obviously a decent football coach but there is absolutely no evidence yet to support his own hype.

It's certainly down there with plucky Bournemouth and their billionaire Russian owner's contempt for FFP rules...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Results Went Well For Us Tonight
Agreed, although most were fairly predictable.
That means last night's draw was definitely a point gained rather than two dropped.
We have to look at the game in the context of the rest of our season - we need 6 wins, and that was one of our best chances to get one, so I'm still a bit disappointed. The fact that other games went our way hasn't suddenly lowered the total we need.

Not losing was important though, I'll try and find solace in that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We have to look at the game in the context of the rest of our season - we need 6 wins, and that was one of our best chances to get one, so I'm still a bit disappointed. The fact that other games went our way hasn't suddenly lowered the total we need.

Agreed - we are the only team not to score against Palace this season, and we are the first side to allow them an away point.

"Oh but it's a derby - all form goes out of the window" - yeah, whatever.

Had they won, they'd have been brimming with confidence ahead of quite a crunch game at West Brom. We'd also be verging on suicidal because of it being bloody Palace. Because of that, it tempers a small bit of the disappointment, but not all. As posted elsewhere (http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?358822-24-points-from-16-games), if you put a line through the ten remaining "Big 6" games, we don't have a huge number of fixtures to get the points we'll need.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agreed, although most were fairly predictable.

Not losing was important though, I'll try and find solace in that.

Agreed - we are the only team not to score against Palace this season, and we are the first side to allow them an away point.

Had they won, they'd have been brimming with confidence ahead of quite a crunch game at West Brom. We'd also be verging on suicidal because of it being bloody Palace. Because of that, it tempers a small bit of the disappointment, but not all. As posted elsewhere (http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?358822-24-points-from-16-games), if you put a line through the ten remaining "Big 6" games, we don't have a huge number of fixtures to get the points we'll need.

Crikey, must be cheery hanging around with you two today...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Christ you must be tired this morning from your late night gig as a motivational speaker.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
if you put a line through the ten remaining "Big 6" games
There's your problem, Don't do that, there are definitely points there. The NigeIs beat Chelsea, and we deserved a point at second placed Man Utd.

I think we can actually win this home game with Liverpool. Sure we probably won't, but with our defence (and theirs) we have always got a chance of getting something. Spurs look vulnerable, Man Utd and Arsenal at home could see us draw. The only games I'm ruling out are Man City away, both Chelsea games and Liverpool away. We'll lose some of the others too but we do have a chance in all of them.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think you can already revise down the 40 point target given 6 sides are already only on 1 ppg or less. 38 is probably going to be enough, and that might still come down as per 3 of the last 5 seasons where 34, 35 and 35 have been.

4 wins 11 draws sees us reach 40. Far from getting too hung up on not winning, if 16 draws and 8 wins is likely to be more than enough, with 14 draws still likely to do it, then we still have to treat each draw as a positive, especially if a team below us also drops 2 points - they're chasing us remember.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Win against all non-top-6 at home, draw against them away.

We'll finish on 46 if we can do that for the rest of the season, without worrying about the matches v the best.

With that in mind, we need a point from Liverpool, Huddersfield and Spurs ( followed by 2 home wins ! : rock: )

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There's your problem, Don't do that, there are definitely points there. The NigeIs beat Chelsea, and we deserved a point at second placed Man Utd.

I think we can actually win this home game with Liverpool. Sure we probably won't, but with our defence (and theirs) we have always got a chance of getting something. Spurs look vulnerable, Man Utd and Arsenal at home could see us draw. The only games I'm ruling out are Man City away, both Chelsea games and Liverpool away. We'll lose some of the others too but we do have a chance in all of them.
Sure we have a chance, and not winning one of our so called easier games doesn't suddenly mean we're going to be relegated, but we do need to win another 6 (ish) so it's disappointing when we don't take one of the easier opportunities, that's all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’ll settle for continuing the Home draw record on Saturday :smile:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Liverpool beating Stoke 3-0 at the Britannia isn’t necessarily a great result for us given our next opponents... otherwise, yep, a great set of results.

The result itself was good though, as per the thread title: a relegation rival lost and suffered a minus 3 to their goal difference. Granted it may give Liverpool a confidence boost, but as a corollary also it might knock Stoke's confidence and increase the pressure on Hughes. 'Every cloud' and all that. Also hopefully it will get Liverpool a bit over-confident thinking sub-consciously that as they beat Stoke so easily another away game at little Brighton shouldn't be too much trouble.

EDIT: And I'm also with Simster, I think we could win this. Probably won't, but a win wouldn't be such a shock. And yes I'll settle for a draw now if you're offering it.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
we do need to win another 6 (ish)

Over the last 6 seasons 3 sides stayed up with just 7 wins in total, 2 with 9. It's all about not getting beat. If you deny your rivals points, you stand a great chance. 2012 as an example, Bolton went down with 10 wins, while Villa stayed up by 2 pts having won just 7.

Don't think we should get hung up on an arbitrary total of 10 wins. Draw 15 or so and 7 or 8 wins will be enough.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Will last night be the start of Evertons climb up the league. I think that it will as I do not think they were as bad as their record this season suggests. We have seen much worse this season and drew with both.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Over the last 6 seasons 3 sides stayed up with just 7 wins in total, 2 with 9. It's all about not getting beat. If you deny your rivals points, you stand a great chance. 2012 as an example, Bolton went down with 10 wins, while Villa stayed up by 2 pts having won just 7.

Don't think we should get hung up on an arbitrary total of 10 wins. Draw 15 or so and 7 or 8 wins will be enough.

This. 4 more wins will probably be enough if we remain solid and hard to beat.

That said, I would hope we will improve forward areas in January and aim for better.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

It might not take 10 wins, but 10 seems a sensible target to aim for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here