Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurants in Lewes

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Sometimes eat at Bills before the football, interesting menu and certainly edible.
Slightly aside my opinion of this place had gone massively downhill since they sold out (speaking about the Brighton branch, not visited the Lewes one)

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
I have not eaten in Erawan yet but we had a takeaway the other week and it was lovely. Really good. There is a wine-selling-shop called Symposium next door for all your BYOB needs.

Shanaz would be my choice for Curry. Good food and friendly staff.

Palin is always nice too. Not quite so keen on the Panda Garden but I am not sure why. The food is OK.

For Italian: Famiglia has charm and is usually very nice. The other 3, Ask, Prezzo and Pizza Express do what it says on the tin.

Real Eating Company is a bit overpriced in my view, and they add 12.5% as a service charge which is cheeky enough to make me shop elsewhere. Bills has really grown on me recently- nice food and knowledgeable staff. It's a bit of a conveyor belt with people queueing next to people eating but that can be good if, like me, you resent spending an hour waiting for the bill. You do pay the going rate in Bills. There is another one in that area called La Magasin. Avoid the Tapas but they always have nice stuff on the menu.

Pelham House is probably my favourite. You should book as they sometimes have weddings on, but the food has been lovely every time I have been there. It feels posh and the portions are sometimes small-looking, but the bill reflects that. It is just off the High Street.

The Kings Head do a high-spec food menu. A lot of pubs do decent pub-grub including the Swan and the John Harvey Tavern.

Hope that helps.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Re PPFs post about the Panda Garden - Opened in 1960s, same family still run it. Must admit living away haven't been there for years but used to love it and they were always dead friendly.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Limetree Kitchen is fantastic.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Re PPFs post about the Panda Garden - Opened in 1960s, same family still run it. Must admit living away haven't been there for years but used to love it and they were always dead friendly.

Blimey, I was at college with the son (or possibly grandson in the mid-70s). If it's still the same family, he may well be running it now. His name was Thomas IIRC - nice guy

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks everyone. Shanaz it is.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I get my takeaways from the Shanaz as they deliver. Every time i order my chicken tikka dhansak, it has zero heat to it. Now i've tried dhansak in many many Indian eateries and they should be fairly hot....certainly enough to make my eyes water.

So i asked them why it was milder than a Korma and they said i had to ask for heat to be added. Now call me old fashioned but if i want a dhansak, it should be hot. I wonder if you have to ask for the heat to be added to a Madras or Vindaloo ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've not been to Lewes for a while. Any nice new pubs on the scene? As mentioned, I'm a Snowdrop, Gardeners, Lewes Arms person with a penchant for craft beers as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I get my takeaways from the Shanaz as they deliver. Every time i order my chicken tikka dhansak, it has zero heat to it. Now i've tried dhansak in many many Indian eateries and they should be fairly hot....certainly enough to make my eyes water.

So i asked them why it was milder than a Korma and they said i had to ask for heat to be added. Now call me old fashioned but if i want a dhansak, it should be hot. I wonder if you have to ask for the heat to be added to a Madras or Vindaloo ?

Dhanzaks are the barometer of a good British Indian in my opinion. Get the sour and heat balanced on that baby and you know everything else will be perfecto.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I've not been to Lewes for a while. Any nice new pubs on the scene? As mentioned, I'm a Snowdrop, Gardeners, Lewes Arms person with a penchant for craft beers as well.

The Elephant and castle have a superb selection of craft beers at the moment.....think he had around 40 different types in

Jan 30, 2008

You really need to try the Naga then:facepalm:
regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Elephant and castle have a superb selection of craft beers at the moment.....think he had around 40 different types in

40, that will keep us busy when we visit! Cheers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here