Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant thread 2021

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Stumbled across the Troll last night at the Evening Star and just couldn't resist.

Pigeon kebab, with feta, wild garlic salsa and roasted walnuts with chips, all washed down with a few pints of Jaipur.

As expected, it was very very good. The thing about the Troll is his meticulous attention to detail.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Nice to read a review; I was wondering how it was going. His latest venture is a bit “out there”; could you tell if it’s proving popular? Where exactly in the pub is he cooking?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
We had our original booking cancelled by our intended restaurant earlier in the week for our visit to London so ended up at Mon Plaisir, Monmouth Street which is in the Covent Garden area.
Excellent French bistro which we will visit again. Simple French food executed well, prices pretty good at Cote levels. Best steak I’ve had for a while, very good asparagus soup and a boozy desert of calvados and apple sorbet.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've been to The Salt Room, Fourth & Church and The Little Fish Market in two days -- indicative of the upsurge in quality of restaurants in B&H over the past decade or so.
Salt Room is your more conventional, obviously with a great setting. Very accomplished cooking, if a little pricey.
4&C is my favourite, in no small part because you can drink exceptionally good wines at very reasonable prices. But that's not to detract from the food, Sam is an inventive chef, and impeccable in the execution. Stand out dishes were: a heritage tomato and seaweed salad where the latter really heightened the flavour of the former; a stunning Korean chicken thing; and skirt steak cooked on their fancy new grill which imparts wood smoke through the meat, served with kimchi and candied walnuts.
LFM is high end, precision cooking. Some lovely dishes there, including the snacks, egg, salmon, halibut and a brilliant stawberry desert. The crab dish was overpowered by lemongrass and, while the lobster ravioli was nice enough, CinCin are the city's undoubted stars on that front.

Jul 7, 2003
Went back to Pitch in Worthing this week - all very good and service excellent as ever. My only issue there is one I have with many restaurants - ridiculously overpriced puddings. I'm sure that they are very nice but £9 for a sweet is too much - we went across the road and had two very nice gelatos instead.

Also recently had lunch at Bills in Chichester with the extended family. I've not been a big fan of theirs in recent years and we only went because our group couldn't fit in anywhere else. Was pleasantly surprised and everyone enjoyed their lunch and better value than I expected.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've been to The Salt Room, Fourth & Church and The Little Fish Market in two days -- indicative of the upsurge in quality of restaurants in B&H over the past decade or so.
Salt Room is your more conventional, obviously with a great setting. Very accomplished cooking, if a little pricey.
4&C is my favourite, in no small part because you can drink exceptionally good wines at very reasonable prices. But that's not to detract from the food, Sam is an inventive chef, and impeccable in the execution. Stand out dishes were: a heritage tomato and seaweed salad where the latter really heightened the flavour of the former; a stunning Korean chicken thing; and skirt steak cooked on their fancy new grill which imparts wood smoke through the meat, served with kimchi and candied walnuts.
LFM is high end, precision cooking. Some lovely dishes there, including the snacks, egg, salmon, halibut and a brilliant stawberry desert. The crab dish was overpowered by lemongrass and, while the lobster ravioli was nice enough, CinCin are the city's undoubted stars on that front.

How's the service at LFM now?

The food has always been the best in Brighton and Hove in my opinion but the relaxed knowledgeable service really made the place. I believe the old front of house man (can't remember his name now, it's actually been 18 months since my last visit :cry: ) was due to move on?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
How's the service at LFM now?

The food has always been the best in Brighton and Hove in my opinion but the relaxed knowledgeable service really made the place. I believe the old front of house man (can't remember his name now, it's actually been 18 months since my last visit :cry: ) was due to move on?

Yes, it was an artistic young lad, who was all very enthusiastic. A couple of young women last night, both of which were fine. They have no end of work to get through, delivering new cutlery for each course, ie about 8 times per table. Ditto with wine glasses for each new bottle. I know of another mod who'd be impressed with that.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Me and the Mrs have the same day off this week so we've booked a table at Rockwater along Hove seafront. Looks decent, gets good reviews and the setting is quite nice. Has anyone on here been?
Our first time out for what seems like an eternity. Looking forward to it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Me and the Mrs have the same day off this week so we've booked a table at Rockwater along Hove seafront. Looks decent, gets good reviews and the setting is quite nice. Has anyone on here been?
Our first time out for what seems like an eternity. Looking forward to it.

Walked past it Thursday night at about 6. It was mobbed. Apparently they've got a members area, where you have to pay a £750 joining or annual fee. It looked that way. It is a nice setting though, and not much around that part of town.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Nice to read a review; I was wondering how it was going. His latest venture is a bit “out there”; could you tell if it’s proving popular? Where exactly in the pub is he cooking?

I guess there's a kitchen in the back cause he was appearing from the right hand side of the bar with comestibles. Seemed popular enough, though nothing on the queues he used to have when he was flipping (the world's best ever) burgers. My guess is that it will last for a while and he'll move on to something else - it seems his MO - but I'd follow him anywhere tbh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I guess there's a kitchen in the back cause he was appearing from the right hand side of the bar with comestibles. Seemed popular enough, though nothing on the queues he used to have when he was flipping (the world's best ever) burgers. My guess is that it will last for a while and he'll move on to something else - it seems his MO - but I'd follow him anywhere tbh.

Good to hear. I hope I get a chance to try it before, as you suggest, he inevitably moves onto something else.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yesterday saw, my long since booked, and much anticipated visit to the Salt Room for lunch. I was not disappointed.

Arriving somewhat early, just after 12 for a 12.30 reservation, we were warmly greeted and shown to our table for 4, by the time l had downed a couple of classic margaritas, (not an easy cocktail to find in Brighton these days it would seem), our friends arrived,and our lunch began.

I started with the Cornish Crab, which although on the small side, was absolutely exquisite, after finishing the very flavoursome crab, and seeing l was only feft with the gazpacho, the waiter kindly anticipated my needs, and provided a spoon for me to finish it. I foolowed that with a medium rare Rib Eye, served with french fries and a tomato salad. The steak was perfectly cooked, very tender, and with plenty of flavour. No room, or time for dessert l'm afraid, just a very welcome double espresso to finish the meal.

I left the wine choice to my cousin, far more of a wine buff than me, and whatever it was he chose was excellent, a red, and a white, both by the carafe.

The total bill for the four of us, came in at just short of £350. A lot of money perhaps, but oh what a meal, and with superb and knowledgable service too. Nice to be ablke to have a splurge now and again, and many thanks to whoever it was on here, that l suggested l give it a try.

Total marks out of ten? . . . a very solid twenty seven!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Stumbled across the Troll last night at the Evening Star and just couldn't resist.

Pigeon kebab, with feta, wild garlic salsa and roasted walnuts with chips, all washed down with a few pints of Jaipur.

As expected, it was very very good. The thing about the Troll is his meticulous attention to detail.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Nice one. Me and the Mrs were obsessed with his burgers and gutted when it closed. His chilli was probably the best I’ve ever had.

Been keeping an eye on his kebab venture and felt a bit flat from What I’ve seen so far but planning on giving it a try in the next few weeks.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Ventured out to Heritage Restaurant last week for lunch. Had to drive as Slaugham is in the middle of nowhere, which stopped me taking advantage of the well stocked bar. Still it is a beautiful location.
Lots of emphasis on local ingredients, well presented and excellent service.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yesterday saw, my long since booked, and much anticipated visit to the Salt Room for lunch. I was not disappointed.

Arriving somewhat early, just after 12 for a 12.30 reservation, we were warmly greeted and shown to our table for 4, by the time l had downed a couple of classic margaritas, (not an easy cocktail to find in Brighton these days it would seem), our friends arrived,and our lunch began.

I started with the Cornish Crab, which although on the small side, was absolutely exquisite, after finishing the very flavoursome crab, and seeing l was only feft with the gazpacho, the waiter kindly anticipated my needs, and provided a spoon for me to finish it. I foolowed that with a medium rare Rib Eye, served with french fries and a tomato salad. The steak was perfectly cooked, very tender, and with plenty of flavour. No room, or time for dessert l'm afraid, just a very welcome double espresso to finish the meal.

I left the wine choice to my cousin, far more of a wine buff than me, and whatever it was he chose was excellent, a red, and a white, both by the carafe.

The total bill for the four of us, came in at just short of £350. A lot of money perhaps, but oh what a meal, and with superb and knowledgable service too. Nice to be ablke to have a splurge now and again, and many thanks to whoever it was on here, that l suggested l give it a try.

Total marks out of ten? . . . a very solid twenty seven!

I think you'd already booked when I mentioned I was going but I certainly thought and hoped you'd be happy with it. Glad you enjoyed it :thumbsup:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think you'd already booked when I mentioned I was going but I certainly thought and hoped you'd be happy with it. Glad you enjoyed it :thumbsup:

Personal choice, but I prefer the Coal Shed in Boyces Street to the Salt Room (same owner). They also have a second Coal Shed near London Bridge and one more restaurant imminently opening in Middle Street Brighton.

https://burnt-orange.co.uk/

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Yes indeed l had, but once it was recommended by yourself, l started to look forward to it even more, so many thanks for that.

Any other recommendations, feel free to send them my way! :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Perusing the menu, it would appear that the Coal Shed is more meat orientated, whilst the Salt Room majors on fish.

That's exactly right. I prefer the Salt Room. I cook and buy meat pretty well myself (nowhere near as good as the Coal Shed of course) whereas my fish and seafood cooking at home is pretty basic. Therefore I absolutely love fish and seafood when I go out, hence my love of Salt Room and Little Fish Market. As [MENTION=12901]CheeseRolls[/MENTION] says it comes down to personal taste.

Burnt Orange looks excellent......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here