Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant thread 2021

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Trollburger is closing down at the end of the month and moving inside the pub to become trolls pantry again.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Is anyone familiar with Korean cuisine?

If so, what exactly in bibimbap? and are there any Korean restaurants in Brighton to be recommended? The only one l've had any feedback on is KOGI.

Korean food is on the whole friggin lush! It should really take off in the UK as many dishes have a good kick to them. Bibimbap is sort of a fried rice type dish that cooks itself in the piping hot stone bowl it's served in. It basically has veg, egg, rice, Korean pickle type things, sauces and whatever you want to throw in I suppose and mix it in the bowl. Personally I love spicy Korean soups like kimchi jjige when I'm hungover, really sorts me out. Korean bbq would be really popular over there im sure.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Planet India have an outdoor area opening on the 12th. Not sure what it's gonna be like but it's great there.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Stanmer Park One Garden. The walled garden at the top of the park that used to be run as a garden nursery by Brighton and Hove Council but now renovated by Plumpton College into an amazing space combining landscaped areas, a garden centre, farm shop and restaurant.
Tried the food and it was amazing. Slider burger made with beef from Plumpton college £5. Bhajis, cheese croquettes both £3. They also had chimichurri steaks, ploughman’s, bagels, and chips.
https://www.onegardenbrighton.com/

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thank you for this. Any other decent eateries anyone can recommend in B&H with nice and ideally heated outdoor areas ahead of reopening?

If you don't mind going upmarket then The Salt Room is open with a big terrace on the seafront road, covered with heaters. I'm booked in for our wedding anniversary later this month.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ripped off and laughed at.

I've eaten in a few Michelin-starred places and never once felt ripped off. On the other hand, every time I've been obliged to go to the likes of Pizza Express for a family birthday I've felt robbed, even with one of their promos.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I've eaten in a few Michelin-starred places and never once felt ripped off. On the other hand, every time I've been obliged to go to the likes of Pizza Express for a family birthday I've felt robbed, even with one of their promos.

I’ve eaten in 2 and felt they were joking with their prices.( I didn’t pay) I can’t say it was ordinary but it was just ok. Never ever warranted that sort of money. If you’ve got the dosh then fair enough.
I ate at a restaurant many years back on Radar street in Budapest called Costes and I still remember what an incredibly good meal it was. It was also very reasonable. A few years back I notiiced it had got a star now and the prices had gone up astronomically....

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I’ve eaten in 2 and felt they were joking with their prices.( I didn’t pay) I can’t say it was ordinary but it was just ok. Never ever warranted that sort of money. If you’ve got the dosh then fair enough.
I ate at a restaurant many years back on Radar street in Budapest called Costes and I still remember what an incredibly good meal it was. It was also very reasonable. A few years back I notiiced it had got a star now and the prices had gone up astronomically....

I'm by no means rich so usually a one star kinda guy. In my experience you can get a tasting menu for around 60 euro (I've done so in Spain, France and Italy). In Spain and Italy you can get a bottle of wine for 20ish, the place in Lyon I went to was a bit more. All in all less than 100 euro a head, which I don't think is bad for a memorable experience and a full evening's entertainment.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If you don't mind going upmarket then The Salt Room is open with a big terrace on the seafront road, covered with heaters. I'm booked in for our wedding anniversary later this month.

Very timely that you should mention the Salt Room, only this morning l have booked a table for four, (inside), to dine there in a few Sundays time.

Is it a good choice for Sunday lunch?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Very timely that you should mention the Salt Room, only this morning l have booked a table for four, (inside), to dine there in a few Sundays
time.

Is it a good choice for Sunday lunch?

I've not had Sunday lunch there but I would expect their roast to be very good. They are twinned with the Coal Shed and their other meat is excellent (though the seafood is even better).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm by no means rich so usually a one star kinda guy. In my experience you can get a tasting menu for around 60 euro (I've done so in Spain, France and Italy). In Spain and Italy you can get a bottle of wine for 20ish, the place in Lyon I went to was a bit more. All in all less than 100 euro a head, which I don't think is bad for a memorable experience and a full evening's entertainment.

For reference to [MENTION=5306]Questions[/MENTION], I and others reckon The Little Fish Market is the best restaurant in Brighton and their menu (they have just one menu) effectively works out at £95 (£85 + 12.5% service) a head. It is yet to receive a star, although I think it deserves one (it may be the dearth of choice that is holding it back), and will probably get one.
I get to one or two starred restaurants a year on average, and they're just a different experience that I'd rather spend surplus cash on and, as you say, you're often looked after for a long time. I get plenty of enjoyment out of going to decent non-starred restaurants such as Planet India or a certain pizza place that I won't name.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Going back to my post about eating in a place in Budapest (Costes) I can still remember what I ate. I think we should get some tastes up here.

I had duck served with a creamy lenti and mushroom sauce served on an amazing fresh waffle. Can’t remember what veg there was but one of the great meals I’ve had the pleasure to have put in front of me.

I used to like the River Cafe in Hammersmith. Had the best bread and butter putting you could taste. Jamie Oliver was Sioux chef or maybe Apache..... I don’t know.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Going back to my post about eating in a place in Budapest (Costes) I can still remember what I ate. I think we should get some tastes up here.

I had duck served with a creamy lenti and mushroom sauce served on an amazing fresh waffle. Can’t remember what veg there was but one of the great meals I’ve had the pleasure to have put in front of me.

I used to like the River Cafe in Hammersmith. Had the best bread and butter putting you could taste. Jamie Oliver was Sioux chef or maybe Apache..... I don’t know.

Yes l remember the River Cafe back in the day too, had some splendid meals there, l doubt Jamie Oliver would care to be remembered as a Sous Chef now!

I recall Quaglino's in St.James's too, another fabulous dining experience, that was many many moons ago, and no idea if the same standard has been maintained.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I haven't eaten at the River Cafe but, whenever I looked, it was pricey.

PS I think the best value restaurant (that I've been to anyway) is The Sportsman in Seasalter. If you get the chance to go there and have the tasting menu, it's amazing and -- unlike many starred restaurants -- the service is nicely relaxed yet attentive.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
One thing I’ve noticed on most of my fine dining experiences in the this country is they were nearly always corporate days out.
We were once given a £790.00 of a 1976 rose Bollinger. My wife drank pretty much all of and was sick with all the other stuff she’d drank when she got home................. Mrs Q is a classy chick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here