Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2024 thread

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks to Machiavelli for the Wild Flor recommendation, we went last week and had the lunch menu which really was excellent. I think it came to around £110 with 3 courses and drinks, which was great value considering the quality of the food and service.
Just won Best Restaurant and Best Front of House at the Brighton food awards.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We really liked the service. Edwards came over a few times (not in a look at me way) and a couple of the other chefs brought courses over. Found it all nice and relaxed.

A colleague was there the same evening who would warn you off the wine flight, if that is your thing.
Went last night, and I have to say it was incredible. Probably one of the best meals out I've ever had.

Not sure what you meant by 'warned off' as we did the wine flight and the pairings were perfect. It does turn it into a very expensive night out, of course, but it was our anniversary and, considering we went for extra courses, I am very delicate this morning. But so worth it. The 22 year old Vacqueyras was in @Goldstone1976 territory.

Oddly, as a meat eater, the soup of the day (wild garlic and Jersey Royal) was probably my favourite course. Incredibly complex and a mixture of textures, which, for a soup, is an incredible achievement. It went very well with the marmite brioche and seaweed butter too.

Best pairing was the guinea hen with a Chilean Cinsault.

A 10/10 for me. They could probably get a star if they want one (though Michelin seem to not like giving them to 'slebs) but I'm quite happy if they don't so I can get booked in for my birthday later in the year without fighting off tourists.

IMG_2104.jpeg
IMG_2108.jpeg
IMG_2098.jpeg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
For pizza - as take away (slice or whole pies) - I recommend Yeastie Boys in Hove & Shoreham. Unreal. I think they also do the garden at the New Amsterdam pub in Worthing

Jul 7, 2003
For pizza - as take away (slice or whole pies) - I recommend Yeastie Boys in Hove & Shoreham. Unreal. I think they also do the garden at the New Amsterdam pub in Worthing
Can I add +39 Pizza On The Road to that list. He has a van and is based out of Heene Road Worthing but had regular visits to other places in the area such as Orange Tree in Ferring.

He is a former Fatto A Mano pizza chef so very similar style with good flavours and pricing. Adding hot honey (honey with chilli) to a meat pizza was a new thing for me but works really well

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Went last night, and I have to say it was incredible. Probably one of the best meals out I've ever had.

Not sure what you meant by 'warned off' as we did the wine flight and the pairings were perfect. It does turn it into a very expensive night out, of course, but it was our anniversary and, considering we went for extra courses, I am very delicate this morning. But so worth it. The 22 year old Vacqueyras was in @Goldstone1976 territory.

Oddly, as a meat eater, the soup of the day (wild garlic and Jersey Royal) was probably my favourite course. Incredibly complex and a mixture of textures, which, for a soup, is an incredible achievement. It went very well with the marmite brioche and seaweed butter too.

Best pairing was the guinea hen with a Chilean Cinsault.

A 10/10 for me. They could probably get a star if they want one (though Michelin seem to not like giving them to 'slebs) but I'm quite happy if they don't so I can get booked in for my birthday later in the year without fighting off tourists.

View attachment 181681View attachment 181682View attachment 181683
Looks great. Hope you had a brilliant anniversary. The Vacqueyras does look good.

Coincidentally, I was out the previous evening in the smoke. He also did a wild garlic and jersey royal soup:

Attachments

• 30 April.pdf
    134.8 KB · Views: 40

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was… and it always is: in at 19:00, out at 23:45. 19 seats, 1 sitting.
How does the wine pairing work? Is it small amounts for each course? Always alcohol? I guess there's some interesting champagnes in there?

I went to https://coda-berlin.com last summer and this is 15 courses. From memory we had a pairing for each course but always small and not always alcoholic. We had a beer, well a mouthful, for one course. We were advised to have a bottle of wine on the side, so we took a nice Reisling. Coincidentally I sourced the Reisling myself, and finished off the last bottle on Tuesday to declare my balcony open for the summer.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I finally made it to etch. by Steven Edwards the other night.

Excellent. Clearly. It was always going to be tbf. Loved the subtle, not in your face, seasonality of it all. The lean towards local ingrediants without having to shout about it. Everything is geared towards you having a nice time without having to think too much, with a some really good cooking.

Stand out was a raw minced lamb pie, a play on a mince pie, that came with a really good celeriac soup/foam/whatever. There were two excellent sorbets, one of which was part of a really good optional cheese course (this cost 12 quid which is very keen considering what you get on the plate). We baulked at 18 quid for the optional scallops, though could see plenty going for it.

Somwhere you can spend a lot of money if you want to but they do have semi accessible menus at 75 for 7 courses (plus snacks I should add).

I wasn't drinking but had a very good non boozy cocktail and they do have some very goood wine at 6 quid for 125ml (a good price imo).

9/10
Been to Etch a couple of times and loved it both times. If I had a criticism - and this is more personal taste - is that they need to pan fry their meat ( lamb both times when I went ) after cooking it in a water bath - just to get some browness and texture on it.

Hopefully seeing Steven Edwards at the Foodie Festival this Sunday.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
How does the wine pairing work? Is it small amounts for each course? Always alcohol? I guess there's some interesting champagnes in there?

I went to https://coda-berlin.com last summer and this is 15 courses. From memory we had a pairing for each course but always small and not always alcoholic. We had a beer, well a mouthful, for one course. We were advised to have a bottle of wine on the side, so we took a nice Reisling. Coincidentally I sourced the Reisling myself, and finished off the last bottle on Tuesday to declare my balcony open for the summer.
There are 3 pairings available: wine (typically 200ml to last 2 courses), 100% champagne (as you’ve observed, they - well, Sandia - is really into Champagne; I think she has the best Champagne list in London, stuffed full of micro growers), and non-alcoholic.

We had a bottle of champagne pre-dinner, the pairing with some swapsies where I preferred something on the main list to what was on the pairing list, and the introduction of a brilliant Polish vodka to go with the scallop/caviar. Loads of my friends vehemently extol the virtues of champagne with caviar, but for me it has to be vodka served as cold as the restaurant can make it - a blast freezer (-50C) for a bit is quite good for that!

Riesling is the most underrated grape variety of all, imo. If in doubt what to serve/drink, make it a Riesling.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There are 3 pairings available: wine (typically 200ml to last 2 courses), 100% champagne (as you’ve observed, they - well, Sandia - is really into Champagne; I think she has the best Champagne list in London, stuffed full of micro growers), and non-alcoholic.

We had a bottle of champagne pre-dinner, the pairing with some swapsies where I preferred something on the main list to what was on the pairing list, and the introduction of a brilliant Polish vodka to go with the scallop/caviar. Loads of my friends vehemently extol the virtues of champagne with caviar, but for me it has to be vodka served as cold as the restaurant can make it - a blast freezer (-50C) for a bit is quite good for that!

Riesling is the most underrated grape variety of all, imo. If in doubt what to serve/drink, make it a Riesling.
KT just gets better the more I hear about it. I think this will be the restaurant on my bucket list. I will take the champagne pairing but if there’s caviar I’ll swop out for a -50C vodka shot on your recommendation!

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I just back from there. 4 of us shared a 20" pizza which was well cooked and lovely - £28. Excellent Hophead as well. For me, the only thing that was missing was a knife and fork. I am not a savage FFS.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I just back from there. 4 of us shared a 20" pizza which was well cooked and lovely - £28. Excellent Hophead as well. For me, the only thing that was missing was a knife and fork. I am not a savage FFS.
Glad to hear it was good. I noticed they’ve also just gone in to Shelter Hall for a month I think

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
MrsBC went to Etch and loved the food and wine, although was slightly horrified when other diners started licking their plates! She also commented that there was a lot of pressure to buy more wine and other drinks.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
KT just gets better the more I hear about it. I think this will be the restaurant on my bucket list.
You won’t be disappointed - 10 pieces of Original Recipe chicken plus x4 fries for £22.99. (If you want a Coke Zero / Fanta etc, that’s extra).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
MrsBC went to Etch and loved the food and wine, although was slightly horrified when other diners started licking their plates! She also commented that there was a lot of pressure to buy more wine and other drinks.
So the wife came home legless and blamed the restaurant :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“According to a report in the Times, a secondary market is developing in hard-to-get tables, an issue which has already arisen in New York and San Francisco and has now arrived in London. Much like gig ticket touts, scalpers are using online booking platforms to grab hot reservations, which are then offered for resale. According to the Times, a table this month at the Michelin two-star Indian restaurant Gymkhana was being offered for £256, while at the Michelin three-star Core by Clare Smyth it was £408. These costs are obviously before anything has been consumed.”

Scumbags.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here