Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2024 thread

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Here's hoping 2024 works better than 2023 for the wonderful talent, commitment and hard work of our restauranters.
Will get things going with two recent visits:

Fourth & Church
Went for lunch on Friday. It's outrageous value. 2 courses for £20, 3 courses for £24. They'll be doing this offer through January and February too. If you've got a lunchtime spare, take advantage.
I had a stunning pork, leek and caerphilly croquette with mustard and cranberry ketchup as a pre-starter, followed by salmon (which I'm not normally too keen on) with pak choi and miso. An amazing starter, courtesy of precise cooking in a sous vide, and a seeded crust. Then belly pork with celeriac puree, which was a huge portion and very good too, and then a duo of Neal's Yard cheeses. You just get top ingredients, inventive twists (the Colston Bassett came with some grapes macerated in madeira, which were amazing), and excellent technique from Sam (head chef, co-owner).
We were lucky enough to speak to Paul (co-owner) for about an hour, who said that they were doing the lunch to just get people in after a tough year. Most who go to 4&C know that they've got the (equal?) best wine offering (with Wild Flor?) in town, so it works out well for them.

Tutto
Went there a few weeks back for the pre-theatre menu, prior to a very good Richard Dawson gig. Although they advertise this cheapo menu on their website, they seemed extremely reluctant to let us have it. It really wasn't up to much either. Neither was the service. Not convinced I'll be heading back in a hurry.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Be interesting to see what Chambers in Shoreham morphs into since its closure. Rumour is that it will be an offshoot of China Garden. Restaurants in Shoreham are “nice”, but it would be good to have a “very nice” restaurant that Church Road in Hove has loads of.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Here's hoping 2024 works better than 2023 for the wonderful talent, commitment and hard work of our restauranters.

Fourth & Church
Went for lunch on Friday. It's outrageous value. 2 courses for £20, 3 courses for £24. They'll be doing this offer through January and February too. If you've got a lunchtime spare, take advantage.
I had a stunning pork, leek and caerphilly croquette with mustard and cranberry ketchup as a pre-starter, followed by salmon (which I'm not normally too keen on) with pak choi and miso. An amazing starter, courtesy of precise cooking in a sous vide, and a seeded crust. Then belly pork with celeriac puree, which was a huge portion and very good too, and then a duo of Neal's Yard cheeses. You just get top ingredients, inventive twists (the Colston Bassett came with some grapes macerated in madeira, which were amazing), and excellent technique from Sam (head chef, co-owner).
We were lucky enough to speak to Paul (co-owner) for about an hour, who said that they were doing the lunch to just get people in after a tough year. Most who go to 4&C know that they've got the (equal?) best wine offering (with Wild Flor?) in town, so it works out well for them.

Tutto
Went there a few weeks back for the pre-theatre menu, prior to a very good Richard Dawson gig. Although they advertise this cheapo menu on their website, they seemed extremely reluctant to let us have it. It really wasn't up to much either. Neither was the service. Not convinced I'll be heading back in a hurry.
Happy new year, fellow food lovers and thanks for starting this year’s thread @Machiavelli

That Fourth and Church lunch offer looks good. Etch are also apparently doing some deals on January. I’ll have to decide if I’m doing dry Jan before I book anything, wine will be too tempting in both.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Real issues in hospitality now. Three days into the new year and we’ve seen Tim Lovejoy’s TV sidekick Simon Rimmer having to close one of his Green sites thanks to a landlord putting up rent by 15%.

Now Masterchef finalist Tony Rodd is closing.

These are not just family businesses, these are highly skilled, well known chefs.

Still, a knighthood for Tim Martin so that’s ok.

This country is in danger of cultural communism.

Last edited:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Real issues in hospitality now. Three days into the new year and we’ve seen Tim Lovejoy’s TV sidekick Simon Rimmer having to close one of his Green sites thanks to a landlord putting up rent by 15%.

Now Masterchef finalist Tony Rodd is closing.

These are not just family businesses, these are highly skilled, well known chefs.

Still, a knighthood for Tim Martin so that’s ok.

This country is danger of cultural communism.

Totally agree with this. Only correction would be that from reports I've read, the landlord in SR's case upped the rent by 35% (not 15%), which just seems absolutely offensive. There's no reasonable argument for an increase that much, IMO.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Totally agree with this. Only correction would be that from reports I've read, the landlord in SR's case upped the rent by 35% (not 15%), which just seems absolutely offensive. There's no reasonable argument for an increase that much, IMO.
Actually, it might well have been 35%, I was trying to remember his 'X' post.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Fourth & Church

Tutto
Love F&C - their small plates and a bottle of wine a weekday evening are a joy.

Tutto - not going to try it after reading the Grace Dent review.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Has anyone been to The Set? I don't drink alcohol at all, and it states each meal is paired with an alcoholic beverage...does anyone know if they can be flexible on this (before I offend them) or am I best to steer clear - the menu looks fascinating:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Has anyone been to The Set? I don't drink alcohol at all, and it states each meal is paired with an alcoholic beverage...does anyone know if they can be flexible on this (before I offend them) or am I best to steer clear - the menu looks fascinating:

We went twice to the old location in Regency Square when it first opened. Didn't go back after the second time because of the service. Basically they spent so long pouring and describing the wine that the food was cold by the time they left you alone (I'm quite fussy about food temperature though). In those days the wine flight was optional and a separate cost.

Looking at their site I'd say this is still the case. They've obviously changed venue and front of house since I last went so don't let that put you off (especially as you can't spend ages over a wanky description of a soft drink :) ).

If they've got good customer service skills and are tuned into the current trend of people giving up booze then they should be able to suggest a soft drink or two, or maybe a non alcoholic beer or wine you can have that would go with the majority of the food, or just don't buy the wine flight and have water which they will certainly provide.

Just ask them when you book though. I'm sure they won't be offended.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We went twice to the old location in Regency Square when it first opened. Didn't go back after the second time because of the service. Basically they spent so long pouring and describing the wine that the food was cold by the time they left you alone (I'm quite fussy about food temperature though). In those days the wine flight was optional and a separate cost.

Looking at their site I'd say this is still the case. They've obviously changed venue and front of house since I last went so don't let that put you off (especially as you can't spend ages over a wanky description of a soft drink :) ).

If they've got good customer service skills and are tuned into the current trend of people giving up booze then they should be able to suggest a soft drink or two, or maybe a non alcoholic beer or wine you can have that would go with the majority of the food, or just don't buy the wine flight and have water which they will certainly provide.

Just ask them when you book though. I'm sure they won't be offended.

Amazeballs thanks!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

I haven't been in ages (years) but def would recommend it as one of the best higher-end places to eat in Brighton.

Would have thought that AF drinks options wouldn't be a problem for them at all.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Another one bites the dust or moving again?

I'd definitely ask in this case @tedebear as presumably they'll be wanting rid of drink stock.
Closing on 15th March according to their instagram, they want to do something 'more approachable'. Cafe Rust seems to be constantly busy so the venue should hopefully be okay.

@tedebear might want to be aware that they will be closing for a winter break next week for 5 weeks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hit my favourite burger place not just on Friday but also yesterday with Mr and Mrs @Uncle Buck. Doing my best to help them out in testing times.

Yummy!

D9A3E876-D855-420B-B01C-B55E625B4893.jpeg

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Tom Hamblett, Masterchef winner is running a special residency at South Lodge January to March. Fully booked but there is a waiting list and they phone out if they get cancellations - so if interested it's possible.

Same thing at Lainston House in Winchester following Sough Lodge. I made a reservation there by speaking to them, even though it's full on the website.

On another matter - are there any recommendations for a lightish lunch in Lewes?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

I think you've slightly misread the website - they say "We offer a drinks pairing using an array of delicious alcoholic beverages from around the world." not that it's compulsory ( highlighting all mine ).

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Tom Hamblett, Masterchef winner is running a special residency at South Lodge January to March. Fully booked but there is a waiting list and they phone out if they get cancellations - so if interested it's possible.

Same thing at Lainston House in Winchester following Sough Lodge. I made a reservation there by speaking to them, even though it's full on the website.

On another matter - are there any recommendations for a lightish lunch in Lewes?
Got this booked for Mrs WS's birthday in March - can't wait. His food looked amazing on Masterchef.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here