Restaurant 2013

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
The Halfway Bridge .
On the A272 , between Petworth and Midhurst , south of Lodsworth .

If you're looking for 2-for-1 deals , All-you-can-eat-buffets , burgers & chips or rate quantity over quality , read no more - this thread isn't for you .
If however , you're interested in local seasonal produce beautifully cooked and served in a wonderful relaxed setting with service to match
then a visit to The Halfway Bridge would be fully warranted .
Outside are 2 small beer gardens , sheltered from the road by a large privet hedge .
Inside the pub , it's evident that a major facelift has recently taken place - and a very tasteful one at that .
Through the main bar and out the back sits a very pretty courtyard . It's sunny , but there's plenty of shade .
It's Tuesday lunchtime and the pub is doing good business and we're fortunate in scoring the last available table out in the courtyard .
Between the 4 of us , 8 dishes are consumed - 2 entrees , 4 mains & 2 deserts .
It's a tight contest , but the consensus around the table gives the nod to the scrumptious crab cakes .

http://www.halfwaybridge.co.uk/bar/

If you're looking to walk off those calories afterwards or seeking an appetite prior to eating ,
there's a nice 2½ hour circuititious walk through the scenic Cowdray Park Estate .

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Gonna slum it tomorrow lunchtime on a pre-Amex lunch. Got to put up with a Hotel du Vin hour or two, oh well.......:eek::eek:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Although not a restaurant, I made my first trip to Street Diner on Saturday. Not as many vendors there as on a Friday but had a very fine pulled pork roll from @littlebluesmokehouse - better than the BBQ shack in my opinion.

For those who don't get a chance to visit Street Diner on a Friday, it will be running on Friday, Saturday and Monday this bank holiday weekend. Good place to get some good quality, reasonably priced, pre-match grub.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Maze Grill in Grosvenor Sq London, exceptional steaks, the US prime steak is mouthwateringly tender, lunch for 2 and a bottle of vino £100. Much cheaper if you go for the set menu mind. Ramsey's finest london restaurant bar IMO.

And if I'm not mistaken home to one of the only char-broilers in the uk a very good steak....

Back on topic I think the best 2 meals I've had this year have been at Heston b's dinner in Knightsbridge which I found incredibly creative with impeccable service and Ledbury just down the road from me in notting hill, absolutely faultless.

Off to NYC, la and Vegas on Friday where I have per se (my 5th time there) , jean george, stk, Nobu Malibu, cut, spago, Hakkasan and Ramseys new restaurant in Vegas booked will report back later if anyone is interested ....

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Worthing eateries recommended:

For a posh dinner - Crescent Road Cafe - Awesome menu updated monthly. Very intimate, not too bad on the pocket.

Good Italian food - Giuseppes, Anne Street (used to be Toto) - Massive portions of traditional Italian fair. Friendly and well priced.

Sylvan Oak - Nice out of town restaurant - Fresh local produce, bit slow at service sometimes, but very good

Curry - Shafiques - Great food, well priced, friendly, perfect curry house

Anyone remember Baloos by Goring gap?

Have now been to the Crescent Road cafe, and must say, I doubt I'd go back. Difficult to explain, everything was cooked superbly, and presented well, but I just didn't much like it. Tries to be fine dining, so there's very little of anything - I came away a little hungry. It ended up costing £50 a head, although the wine may have bumped that up, but for that sort of money, it wasn't very satisfying really. Interesting, but not for me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
http://www.reinstoff.eu/willkommen.html

Went to this place a few weeks back. Had the tasting menu which was very creative. The matched wines were a bit of a let down though; seemed quite bland when up against the food. This venue has the added bonus of being on the same road as my apartment.

There also some good entertainment. An old couple who were clearly up their own arses were disecting the menu, questioning everything and criticising most things (Michelin like the place so it must be doing something right). This carried on for a good 30 minutes before they left stating there was nothing they could eat. I was amazed at how calm the poor young waitor and waitress remained during the discussions; I would have kicked them out onto the street much earlier. I can only imagine what would happen had they tried this on at say Ramseys or Pierre-Whites.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Have now been to the Crescent Road cafe, and must say, I doubt I'd go back. Difficult to explain, everything was cooked superbly, and presented well, but I just didn't much like it. Tries to be fine dining, so there's very little of anything - I came away a little hungry. It ended up costing £50 a head, although the wine may have bumped that up, but for that sort of money, it wasn't very satisfying really. Interesting, but not for me.

Does the location make a difference ? When I visited a while back, we emerged into the streets of Worthing, before 10 and the place was snoozeville. Not that I want rampaging stag groups or anything, but seriously there was no one around. Into the Blue gets criticised for this. People drive in from outside the area, park by a block of flats and say the location is crap, when they are one minutes walk away from a stroll along the boardwalk, that will work wonders for the digestion.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
London has equal measures of wonder restaurants and over-hyped shite. At the risk of sounding like a provincial small mind, I predict this one will flop in Brighton.

.... I think it will do well

But yes overhyped and nowhere near the best burger in london

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
.... I think it will do well

But yes overhyped and nowhere near the best burger in london

Interesting, I reckon the location is the killer. The North Laine cool zone comes to an abrupt halt at Trafalgar Street, beyond that "There be Dragons", or London Road Pound & Pawn Land. This will need to be a seriously cool venue to attract volumes of people.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Does the location make a difference ? When I visited a while back, we emerged into the streets of Worthing, before 10 and the place was snoozeville. Not that I want rampaging stag groups or anything, but seriously there was no one around. Into the Blue gets criticised for this. People drive in from outside the area, park by a block of flats and say the location is crap, when they are one minutes walk away from a stroll along the boardwalk, that will work wonders for the digestion.

Not for me. The restaurant is nice - I was warned it was small, I didn't anticipate it being that small. As I say, nothing wrong with it, the food just wasn't really for me. Worthing is pretty much always quiet, but as we got a taxi there and back from Shoreham, it wouldn't matter anyway.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
Not for me. The restaurant is nice - I was warned it was small, I didn't anticipate it being that small. As I say, nothing wrong with it, the food just wasn't really for me. Worthing is pretty much always quiet, but as we got a taxi there and back from Shoreham, it wouldn't matter anyway.

I took my wife to Crescent Road at the weekend after the recommendations on this thread. I have to say we thoroughly enjoyed our meal and lived everything about the place. We thought the service was attentive and the owner chatted to us before we left.

We can't recommend the place highly enough.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
V Bites - gross, gross, gross! Oh and really useless service and the food took ages to come out despite there only being two of us and another couple there.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Usual in Shoreham and excellent as per the norm

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
V Bites - gross, gross, gross! Oh and really useless service and the food took ages to come out despite there only being two of us and another couple there.

I thought this had now closed in preparation for the FBS takeover ?

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I went to Planet India last week - the Dhai Bhel Puri starter is like nothing I've had before, the samosas are incredible and I love that you can have two half portions of curry as a main. It's delicious and cheap!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Mascara last night with cocktails to start in Koba. Both are recommended. Cocktails in Koba are on the pricey side but good quality. Mascara serves very decent North African food. This is not the sort of place you will leave hungry. The Saturday night belly dancer, may not be everyone's idea of dining entertainment, but we were out with a crowd and just went with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports