Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2013

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Got taken to Carluccio's last night by my dad which was nice, apart from my main. He wanted to go there because they'd always done a decent calves liver. That's been dropped from the menu so I chose the fish stew instead. Not good. 3 or 4 mussels, 4 or 5 cockles, a couple of chunks of what they reckon was pollock but I reckon was coley, a few big prawns fresh from Asda's freezer dept, pre sliced chorizo half a tin of chopped tomatoes and no discernible herbs or seasoning.

Not good. Not good at all.

Shame.

First waitress was in the wrong job, should probably be a prison warden.

Second waitress was very good, wine wasn't a rip off, the antipasto was generous and dad liked his veal.

Last edited:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Got taken to Carluccio's last night by my dad which was nice, apart from my main. He wanted to go there because they'd always done a decent calves liver. That's been dropped from the menu so I chose the fish stew instead. Not good. 3 or 4 mussels, 4 or 5 cockles, a couple of chunks of what they reckon was pollock but I reckon was coley, a few big prawns fresh from Asda's freezer dept, pre sliced chorizo half a tin of chopped tomatoes and no discernible herbs or seasoning.

Not good. Not good at all.

Shame.

7 ? Years ago had a tiramisu to finish there which came with no Marsala wine added & was as dry as dust. Being an expert I questioned the waiter who tried to justify by saying they didn't want to be sued for someone failing a breath test. I laughed told him it was a disgrace to Italian food & have never returned

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
7 ? Years ago had a tiramisu to finish there which came with no Marsala wine added & was as dry as dust. Being an expert I questioned the waiter who tried to justify by saying they didn't want to be sued for someone failing a breath test. I laughed told him it was a disgrace to Italian food & have never returned

When it's my turn to pay we're going to Agua Dulce for some suckling pig and kidneys.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Lazy chef.

It would be quite possible to fail a breath test having consumed an alcoholic dessert, but you'd have to take the test almost immediately after eating it. Even if you were arrested as a result, by the time you got tested on an evidential machine at the police station, your level would almost certainly have dropped down to zero. Unless you ate an entire Christmas cake, that had been soaked, post cooking, in brandy (bearing in mind the brandy you put into the mix at the start cooks out).

I know this from personal experience. Not of eating an entire cake, but re the breath tests :)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Tried Trolls Pantry for the second time, the first time at the Brunswick. Again mightily impressed and pleased to have a trolls in Hove which is a ten minute walk for me.

Went to Latino's last Saturday evening, tremendous food and great service definitely one of my favourite restaurants in Brighton and Hove.

Tomorrow going to le brunch at hotel du vin which is £23 for 4 courses, I've been five or six times now and its a fantastic offer and dining experience. Highly recommended.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
http://www.visitbrighton.com/eating-and-drinking/yum-yum-ninja-p890531
Yum yum ninja. 9/10.
Very good menu, great layout, seats outside and nice bar on top floor too.
Fairly pricey though. Probably about £65 for two people with a bottle of wine.

Tried this place last night following your tip on here and really liked it.
Great casual surroundings, friendly staff and most important of all fantastic food. The beef skewers are the best thing I've eaten in ages.
As you say, not cheap. Ours was also approx. £65 for two which included a couple of drinks each.
We'll certainly be going back though 9/10.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Stoneham pub Hove.

Went as a group of eight adults and four young children yesterday. Food ordered was brought out at seperate times, so some would have finished mains while others waited for starters. Food was alright however all felt it was very poor in value for money front.

4/10

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Has anyone tried Bistro Nantais yet? It's Pascal's new venture so ought to be pretty good.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Delete

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Oops wrong thread

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here