Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2013

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As Friday is missing from your list, can I respectfully suggest you visit Street Diner - the Troll is there with his burgers as are loads of other fine eating establishments.

I took your tip and visited this pop-up location with Katherine (who conveniently had no money in her purse) and went for the simple option this time, just burger bun and cheese and some sauce. Following on from our previous discussion I think simple is better with this guy as it allows the flavour of the meat to push through. If you have the caramelised onion burger you need a good half pound of burger for it to balance properly. I have tried this, but I cannot do it every time.

I love this guy, his burgers are the best in Brighton and I really hope he makes a huge success of his operation.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I went to the Giggling Squid yesterday, which has been recommended by a few on here.

Very, very good and great value for money. For £10.50 I got a set meal of:salt and pepper chilli squid, beef salad, chicken massuman curry and jasmine rice. It was all really nice and they weren't stingy
Both Brighton and Hove Squids have been truly excellent in my experience, so I'm planning a trip to one of them next week. Which was yours?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Both Brighton and Hove Squids have been truly excellent in my experience, so I'm planning a trip to one of them next week. Which was yours?

The on by the Bath Arms in Brighton. I didn't realise the Hove one was still open, I thought it just moved.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Charlie's Buns, at the Wood Recycling Store (where Trolls Pantry used to be). Really tasty Asian steamed buns.

I went for the veggie option which was curried potatoes, Asian slaw, satay, chili sauce, cucumber, spring onions and coriander in a soft steamed bun.

They also do pork buns.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I've just been treated to an absolutely fantastic experience at Le Gavroche.

£56.50 for 3 courses, half a bottle of wine each, bottle of sparkling water and coffee with petit fours.

Michelle and Monica even came out to chat as well.

Fantastic value for one of the best eateries in London if not the UK.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Going to the Marina tomorrow night, probably Frankie and Bennys to keep this kids happy

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The missus and I had a takeaway last night from the Ottoman in Lewes Road. She had fish grill and I had mixed doner kebab. Just about the best kebab I've ever tasted from a takeaway. It arrives in a huge silver foil tray for both and laid out like a dinner plate- rice, salad etc. None of this squeezing into a pitta bread. It was delicious and very generous with the portions too. And mine cost about £7. Seriously good value for those in the BN2 area.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Marina was rammed tonight, 1 hour wait for Frankie and Bennies and Coast to Coast so Katerina, simple fare as Harvester but cheap and the kids love it.

Snaffled the 1st round of drinks free as well.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
2 more we've been to recently.

I do love a Thai and the BYO in the North Lanes called Krua Anne is fantastic. Truly.
Very quick and friendly service, a huge meal for very little money.
Bring your own booze and we weren't charged any corkage.
I was rather squiffy, but its a solid 9.5/10.

Went to Hove Place for lunch. Rib eye for me which was pretty good but my medium-rare turned up full rare. Not a huge problem but not quite what I was after.
The wife's deconstructed ravioli with sun blushed tomatoes, olives and sage was simply awesome.
You know when you eat something and the different tastes bounce around in your mouth and half an hour later you can still savour it ? That.

Rib eye 7.5/10, Ravioli 9.5/10.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Charlie's Buns, at the Wood Recycling Store (where Trolls Pantry used to be). Really tasty Asian steamed buns.

I went for the veggie option which was curried potatoes, Asian slaw, satay, chili sauce, cucumber, spring onions and coriander in a soft steamed bun.

They also do pork buns.

NICE! Gotta try this. Real lack of good asian options in Sussex (Dim Sum and the like)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Trolls Pantry @ The Hobgoblin for an early evening meal last night. Studenty pub, with a niceish garden, but boy are those burgers something special ? Another top NSC recommendation there.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Maze Grill in Grosvenor Sq London, exceptional steaks, the US prime steak is mouthwateringly tender, lunch for 2 and a bottle of vino £100. Much cheaper if you go for the set menu mind. Ramsey's finest london restaurant bar IMO.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Trolls Pantry @ The Hobgoblin for an early evening meal last night. Studenty pub, with a niceish garden, but boy are those burgers something special ? Another top NSC recommendation there.
Agreed went there this week with my student son, both loved the burgers.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003

Agreed went there this week with my student son, both loved the burgers.

What burger did you try?

I visited with the wife on Tuesday ahead of the Edinburgh Comedy previews at the Caroline of Brunswick. Mrs had a Smoky Mountain which she enjoyed (her first Troll Burger), I had a Fiery Mountain which is similar but with the hot sauce from the Trollkano.

He is also at Street Diner every Friday lunchtime along with another favourite of mine Picnic Corner - best scotch eggs in Sussex.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
What burger did you try?

I visited with the wife on Tuesday ahead of the Edinburgh Comedy previews at the Caroline of Brunswick. Mrs had a Smoky Mountain which she enjoyed (her first Troll Burger), I had a Fiery Mountain which is similar but with the hot sauce from the Trollkano.

He is also at Street Diner every Friday lunchtime along with another favourite of mine Picnic Corner - best scotch eggs in Sussex.

Double smoky mountain for me, plus Imperials for Mrs Rolls and son number one.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
A blow out at Riddle & Finns last night. Not cheap, but top quality. Oysters, monkfish cheeks, squid, scallops and ceviche. A treat.

I love that place, always try to fit a visit in when down for the weekend.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
What burger did you try?

Two Smokey mountains, am looking for another excuse to go again soon, will try Picnic Corner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here