Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2013

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The Viceroy curry house in East Molesey. Well priced, food is nice. Get yourself a long there.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Booked in here for my birthday in a couple of weeks off the back of this thead. Can't wait.

I'd recommend getting there early - they'll store your luggage. Go to the White Hart pub in the village for a pint or two, then back to the Spa. Then a few nice pre-dinner drinks in the cosy bar with a real fire. Stunning. One of my favourite places at the moment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd recommend getting there early - they'll store your luggage. Go to the White Hart pub in the village for a pint or two, then back to the Spa. Then a few nice pre-dinner drinks in the cosy bar with a real fire. Stunning. One of my favourite places at the moment.

I have taken Frau Tubthumper there a couple of times and I totally agree. I cannot think of anywhere in Brighton which comes close food wise. It's a trek from Hove but worth it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Living in Haywards Heath I wouldnt pay to stay in a hotel in Cuckfield so looked to see about their menu and read the comments on Trip Advisor but noticed that most but not all, of the comments since Nov 2012 have said that the food was poor. When has anybody been there recently and has anything changed eg Head Chef, in the last few months.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Living in Haywards Heath I wouldnt pay to stay in a hotel in Cuckfield so looked to see about their menu and read the comments on Trip Advisor but noticed that most but not all, of the comments since Nov 2012 have said that the food was poor. When has anybody been there recently and has anything changed eg Head Chef, in the last few months.

Been there three times in the last year and have never been disappointed. If all you want is a good feed then this place isn't for you BUT if you appreciate flavours and textures then it is. As for Tripadvisor - generally full of moaners who are completely up their own backsides. As an example someone on there marked Ockenden as poor because the receptionist didn't have a perfect manicure - I rest my case !

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Right-o, denizens of NSC.

What, in your humble opinions, are the best locations in Brighton (ideally fairly central) for:

(1) Indian
(2) Thai

please.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Right-o, denizens of NSC.

What, in your humble opinions, are the best locations in Brighton (ideally fairly central) for:

(1) Indian
(2) Thai

please.

Indian - Ganges in Hove

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
With some uncertainty went to Bellota Bar y Tapas in Brighton knowing that it is a reincarnation of La Tasca, being a new format,independent, and non branded
But it was a big surprise, great food and service, would recommend it

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
Have to say The Gingerman on Norfolk Square, great locally sourced food, very well cooked and excellent value. They have a superb wine list too, including Ridgeview Fitzrovia, an excellent local bubbly.

The Beach House in Shoreham is also very, very good!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hove Kitchen

Checked it out last night on the back of a few quid off via Living Social. Had some decent enough razor clams, a really well gooked calves liver dish, a wickedly good chocolate tort and the plonk was alright. Maybe a bit on the expensive side at full price but good enough. 80 quid for three courses each and a bottle of wine.

6/10 because it's just at the top end of what I would pay for that quality.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I like Dermie but I don't like fish!

Which might suggest that you'd be better off watching X Factor than going to Fishy Fishy ( which I enjoyed when I went there as it happens but then I like fish ! ).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Errrmmmmmm

La Galleria for a change and bloody good as per the norm

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Went to Kambis the Lebanese restaurant near Norfolk Square last night. Good food and great service. The starters are probably better than the mains but there's nothing wrong with either. The charcoal chicken is succulent and tangy. It's a BYO so you can have a great meal for not a lot of money. Two of us had 2 starters, 2 mains and a salad all for £35 - fantastic. 8/10

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tin Drum - Hove 1/10

Used to eat at the Tin Drum Seven Dials and always loved it. Was much better value for money than similar places as they have their own farm and the quality was superb. Was a shame when it started to go downhill and now is no more.

Went to the one in Hove last night as we happened to be passing... turned out to be one of the worst meals I've had in our fair city.

First appearances it all looked much like the Tin Drum always has been, but the food was very poor:

Starter - Calamari - overcooked and tasted really fishy. Wasn't prepared properly as the inner membrane was still on the squid
Served with: chilli jam - a mess of mushed up chilli spread across the plate. Definitely not a jam, just raw heat with no flavour
aioli - a toxic yellow slime which didn't taste of garlic
salad - Probably at its best about three or four days ago, now tired and limp and frankly knackered.

Main course - Burger - Nice enough patty, pink in the middle just the way I like it.
Bun - Rock like
Chips - very greasy
Salad - see above
Condiments - very cheap tasting mayo and tomato sauce.

Dessert - chocolate bar from nearby newsagent, didn't want to waste money on another course at the Tin Drum.

Couldn't complain about the service though.

:lol: review

Love the choice of venue for desserts, and the fact that you still had to finish off with something sweet.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thanks for this mate. Took my girlfriend for breakfast there this morning and it was fantastic. Much better value than a lot of places e.g. Bills. Best eggs royale I've ever had!

Sorry, been away and only just seen this. Glad to be of assistance - looking forward to my next visit, possibly pre-Wolves.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Anyone been to Hove Place recently? The menu looks quite quite and might look to take Mrs DCH there for lunch one weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here