Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2012

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not not again, presumably. I'm currently pretty disillusioned with the curry fare on offer for takeaways in Shoreham now, they're all pretty much the same, in fact many of the dishes are pretty much the same too. I know a good Bhuna is something I enjoy and can be done well, but whenever I've had one locally lately, I wouldn't be able to tell it from many other dishes.

Sadly yes, went when it first opened as was ok and now crap

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have saved up my pennies and I'm taking Frau Tubthumper to Dinner by Heston Blumenthal in Feb. It's a Valentine treat as I cannot make the 14th due to the Millwall game. The wife likes a fancy meal, plus I want to go. It should be a win, win, win situation. I'm looking forward to this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to Bills in North Rd yesterday. I have only ever had breakfast in there but it always delivers good solid tasty food and Iike the staff and the buzz of the place. I had scrambled eggs on toast with smoked salmon. Yum yum.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I went to Bills in North Rd yesterday. I have only ever had breakfast in there but it always delivers good solid tasty food and Iike the staff and the buzz of the place. I had scrambled eggs on toast with smoked salmon. Yum yum.

I've never been here and walk past it on the way back from work and always seems to be packed.

Interestingly I saw an article in the Metro which was reviewing the Bills in London (not sure where) but the critic was not impressed at all. Said it was a cheap imitation of the one in North Road.

:coolstorybro:

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
I have saved up my pennies and I'm taking Frau Tubthumper to Dinner by Heston Blumenthal in Feb. It's a Valentine treat as I cannot make the 14th due to the Millwall game. The wife likes a fancy meal, plus I want to go. It should be a win, win, win situation. I'm looking forward to this.

Not been there myself but a good friend has been twice,you will enjoy i'm sure.Along the same lines me and the misses were treated to a food extravaganza at Pennyhill park in Bagshot,the food there can only be described as something you will not experience anywhere else,truly magnificent,nine course's of orgasmic moaning and groaning,a real treat.The restaurant is called laytmer and the chef is michael wignall and it has two michelin stars,10/10.Not cheap but in my book,worth it.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

I am that good friend. I've been a couple of times. The Fruit Meat, the Pork Chop and a very unusual Brown Bread Ice-cream would be my recommendations.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am that good friend. I've been a couple of times. The Fruit Meat, the Pork Chop and a very unusual Brown Bread Ice-cream would be my recommendations.

Thanks for the tips. I did have my eye on the meat fruit, and I guess one of his strange ice-creams is a must.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PS well done to Mendoza for starting this as its one of my favourite threads.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Bull Inn, north of Henfield.

1/10 with the 1 being for the kids garden.

Burnt oven chips, awful food. Menu talked the talk, but was a falacy.

Look forward to enjoying the great tips here.

All the Ginger venues are great, but not cheap.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The Bull Inn, north of Henfield.

1/10 with the 1 being for the kids garden.

Burnt oven chips, awful food. Menu talked the talk, but was a falacy.

Look forward to enjoying the great tips here.

All the Ginger venues are great, but not cheap.

This used to be so good ages ago with the best pizzas in existence when the grumpy old sod owned it but has steadily gone downhill since to the point that the Mrs and I will never frequent it again until it has new owners.

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
After the critically acclaimed debut of Restaurant 2011, comes Restaurant 2012. A fresh slate for all concerned. A chance for the poorer places to redeem themselves, a chance for the best places to keep their well earned high marks, or maybe even let themselves down after rave reviews. With a New Year comes a new thread to keep our food reviews together.

So, what can we look forward to over the coming year? Would you put it in front of Michel?

Brighton, Hove, Sussex, London Village or wherever you maybe

Marks out of 10

masterchef1.jpg

surely this picture needs some Hiney art??!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ginger Pig.

Modern British. Seasonal, interesting, reasonably priced. Highly Recommended. My favourite in Brighton (Hove).

Me and the wife were thinking of going to Sams of Brighton at the Dials week after next. Has anyone been to both, and can you say Ginger Pig is a better option? I have been to the Pig but it was a good few years ago now. Been a while since I last went to Sams as well.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Solera D Tapa on Sydney Street is a lovely little tapas bar. The food is not remarkable but it is very good and wholesome, and I just love the vibe of the place. It is small, cosey and seemingly run by just the the chef and waitor. This will be a regular of mine over the next year I'm sure.

Oh, book otherwise you will be disappointed; it's popular.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Bills is ALL about the Eggs Royale

Truth!

Did Hotel du Vin before crimbo and while it was good I must say it did not overly impress me. If I was going to spend £60 on food (pre dinner cocktails and wine pushed this past a one-er) for two courses I would not do it there.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Eggs Royale at Bill's is superb, their full english is amazing too. Like everyone else, it seems, I have only had breakfast in there but it is a top brekkie.

Another recent discovery is Warung Tujuh the Indonesian place in Pool valley. Absolutely superb and reasonably priced, I think me and the Missus spent just over £50 with beers for me and sparkly wine for her and we definitely over indulged, three starters and two massive main courses. The mains are big enough in their own rights to feel full but the finger picky starters are what this sort of food is all about for me. The prawn cakes and battered squid in particular were delicious.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Another recent discovery is Warung Tujuh the Indonesian place in Pool valley. Absolutely superb and reasonably priced, I think me and the Missus spent just over £50 with beers for me and sparkly wine for her and we definitely over indulged, three starters and two massive main courses. The mains are big enough in their own rights to feel full but the finger picky starters are what this sort of food is all about for me. The prawn cakes and battered squid in particular were delicious.

Sold! Will check that place. Now on the list along with the Coal Shed for near future visits.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Me and the wife were thinking of going to Sams of Brighton at the Dials week after next. Has anyone been to both, and can you say Ginger Pig is a better option? I have been to the Pig but it was a good few years ago now. Been a while since I last went to Sams as well.

I've been to both, and my view is that while the food is very good at both, I did leave the Ginger Pig feeling I'd seriously overpaid, whereas I didn't at Sams. One thing about Sams, I've spoken to people (and been with them at the time too) who said they didn't enjoy their meal there, but I've been three or four times and haven't had an issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here