Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2012

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This too, get the rum flambe'd* chorizo sausage, then watch everyone around you ask what it was and order it too. It literally spread like wildfire last time I was there.

* flambeed? whatever the spelling is, don't want to upset anyone

I did, the waiter recommended it and it was bloody lovely!

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
The Hawksmoor, Covent Garden, London (sister restaurants in Guidhall and Spitalfields).

If you like your steak juicy, your chips triple cooked and your wine red then this is the restaurant for you. The best restaurant I've been to in many years, it's not at all snobby or pretentious. Only downside is it's a bit punchy on the wallet, generally £50 per head, for that reason I can only give it 9/10

Hawksmoor - the best steak restaurant in London

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I haven't been to the Tin Drum for a good while. It will have to have upped its game considerably to warrant such praise. I'll try it so I hope you're right.

They have their own farm now, which has drammatically reduced the cost of their ingredients and improved the value for money.

I've only been in the Seven Dials one recently as it's just round the corner from my flat, so can't promise the other one is as good (though I assume it is).

I'll also put in a word for the Preston Park Tavern, where my girlfriend works - you're guaranteed great service (NO pics).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So, it's gone uphill since it was closed for health reasons then. Given you have the cottage round the corner, although that's not as good as it used to be, surely has to be a better bet than The Curry Place, no ?

Don't disagree but went on a recommendation fro a friend who clearly has a very understated curry palate

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Don't disagree but went on a recommendation fro a friend who clearly has a very understated curry palate

Not not again, presumably. I'm currently pretty disillusioned with the curry fare on offer for takeaways in Shoreham now, they're all pretty much the same, in fact many of the dishes are pretty much the same too. I know a good Bhuna is something I enjoy and can be done well, but whenever I've had one locally lately, I wouldn't be able to tell it from many other dishes.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Managed to get a three course lunch at the Savoy in london(Ramsey's grill)for £26 over christmas,great food,excellent service(as you would expect at the Savoy)and the surroundings are quite remarkable,still on offer at lastminute.com.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Went to Akbars Restaurant in Greek Street, Leeds, last week. Absolutely superb, one of the best curries I've ever had. 9/10

Michel would love their naan breads

mbro%20bme%20award.jpg

Used to live in Leeds and Akbars is quality, so is Akbar the Grand which is also in town, hope you also sampled a few of the bars on Greek street, Henrys is always a winner!

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
This too, get the rum flambe'd* chorizo sausage, then watch everyone around you ask what it was and order it too. It literally spread like wildfire last time I was there.

* flambeed? whatever the spelling is, don't want to upset anyone

Im with you, Casa Don Carlos for me too! Great atmosphere & friendly place.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The Hawksmoor, Covent Garden, London (sister restaurants in Guidhall and Spitalfields).

If you like your steak juicy, your chips triple cooked and your wine red then this is the restaurant for you. The best restaurant I've been to in many years, it's not at all snobby or pretentious. Only downside is it's a bit punchy on the wallet, generally £50 per head, for that reason I can only give it 9/10

Hawksmoor - the best steak restaurant in London

I used to go to Hawkie every Friday. Still my favourite burger in London.

Although Goodman has the best steaks in uk followed by Wolfgang pucks "cut" IMHO

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
My first trip of the year was yesterday to the Grand Hotel, Brighton for Sunday roast.

Brilliant yorkshire pudding and beef, but for some reason they put a salad leaf side on my roast. No one needs to see that, so marks lost. Bit mean on the potatoes and parsnips, but dessert was pretty good. Service impeccable, and a bargain at £20 for 3 courses. Also get some nice freshly baked bread to start 7.5/10

Is there a dress code for Sunday lunch there?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Casa Don Carlos

Never been in there before, despite it's longevity. Fantastic food and very reasonably priced, but the best thing was the service. The waiter told me he was rapidly falling in love with the Albion and was looking forward to the Bristol City game.

9/10

PS Brett, I didnt read this thread at all last year as I thought it was about some TV show that if missed, sort it out!

The waiter is Uruguayan and the 'management' have been in, that's probably why!..Carlos, now based more in Spain, was well involved with the Albion in the Wady era
I've had every item on the menu, avoid the tourist paella, which clearly aint doable in short order...the best stuff is on the small blackboards tho pulpo a la Galleaga, lamb stew & daily fish...cheesecake with hazelnut brandy great desert, green olives the best ever tho the highlight & best dish in town is the Sopa Marisco = always sensational...wonderful place

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Looking forward to finding a few gems to go to while in Brighton this April. Casa Don Carlo's is just around the corner from where I will be staying so seems I must hit that place up.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Nope, well I don't think there were. I was in checked shirt, jeans and trainers. There were a few people in suits, but most people in jeans and trainers that I noticed. Smart casual and you'll be fine

Thanks, thinking of booking this up

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I went to the Ginger Pig just before Chrimbo, and while the food was gorgeous, the portions were tiny (I mean really really tiny) and it was well overpriced. It was very good though, just not worth what you get charged.

I like Sams at Seven Dials if you want a slightly higher quality spread. And Chilli Pickle is great.

Oh, and another vote for Casa Don Carlos too. Lovely in there.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Apologies, you missed out on a wealth of knowledge there. I need to try Casa again. It was way below my expectations after reading the 2011 version of this thread. I will give it a chance to redeem itself and try and take the crown off my number 1 Tapas place in Brighton, Solera D Tapa/Cala & Arrobas in Sydney Street
Ole Ole in the Laines (Meeting Place lane) was fantastic on Saturday night - I recommend it. 9/10

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I went to the Ginger Pig just before Chrimbo, and while the food was gorgeous, the portions were tiny (I mean really really tiny) and it was well overpriced. It was very good though, just not worth what you get charged.

If you like the type of food the Ginger Pig serves then go to The Foragers - similar food but better value and you won't come away hungry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here