Restaurant 2011

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
As I was referred to this earlier in the week in order to choose somewhere to dine out I thought I should add my thoughts. Two meals to report on:

Plateau
New place opposite the town hall. Beautiful decor, great service. It seems to be a modern french/spanish fusion. You can chose tapas or main courses. We chose tapas and this was our downfall I think. Nothing was particularly tasty or exciting. Everything was okay (except the calamari with lime and mint which just didn't work). However, the wine, cheese, coffee, dessert and service were all excellent. I'd recommend it as long as you went for a main (the rib eye sound lush!)
7/10

Marrocco's Seafood Restaurant - Hove
I always knew this as the ice cream place near King Alfred but a colleague went there for dinner recently and raved about it so we gave it a go. The decor is shit and the service wasn't top drawer but everything else rocks! I had the languostine linguine, eleven quid for the best bowl of pasta I have had in ages. Master Saville had the kids pizza which was amazingly tasty for a margarita and Mrs Saville had the seafood Fittura Mista which was terrific value for a tenner. She loved it. The ice cream is just divine. A big thumbs up for the blueberry and chocolate chip (different flavours not together!). They even have Peroni on tap for under four pound a pint. Unpretentious, resonably priced, great food.
9/10

PrestGull

Oct 18, 2003
Great thread!

Big fan of gingerman, Ginger pig and Ginger fox. Fox does a great value kids menu although I try and avoid Sunday as the menu more restricted as roasts take over

The oak in poynings I like also for the family

My mates went to chili pickle at my hotel last Saturday and said it was awesome.

Some comments here on Elizabethan in patcham and sadly have to agree that the food is pretty poor although very hospitable inside . I am still on the hunt for a truly decent curry place

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have to post a negative for the Ginger Pig. Had a table booked a couple of weeks ago and on the day, for various reasons, wanted to pull the booking forward by an hour. The rudeness that the request was meet with was unbelievable. I appreciate I was probably asking for something that wasn't possible but there is still a polite way of saying sorry but it isn't possible ! Just didn't turn up in the end and went somewhere else.

The Foragers Pub in Hove is well worth a visit. Nothing too poncy or posh but fantastic food. I've had probably the best chicken I've eaten there and the deconstructed Creme Brulee is just out of this world - a worthy score of 9.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Harvester Lancing, I was amazed the same as the one in Patcham but hey ho - you get what you pay for, reasonable food and everyone enjoyed it - 6.5

D

Deleted User X18H

Eastern Eye, London Road.

There was nothing form my visit on Saturday night two weeks ago that could be described as a positive experience. In fact from all the positive reviews I have heard at work, expectation was high.

Let's start with the food. Both meals had raw chicken, and cold food. I had to ask for my potato twice, and what looked like dishwater arrived.

Cleanliness. The heater that was next to the table had not been cleaned in months. Neither had the dado rail or skirting. There were a group of lads next to our party who leant on their table which then decapitated itself from the base. they just managed to save some of their drinks, but they would have not been burned as their food was cold too.

Lastly, safety. An electrical switch was just about in the wall, so I nudged it slightly and the sign-age lights fused.

Very, very disappointing. I usually go to the Raj, and only went on some very good recommendations. Mine is give the place a swerve.

My goodness Sir . The Eastern Eye WHO please, who has given a postive repsonse? We are talking about the old Pizza Hut on London Road yes? An appalling place to dine. If you are in that area again wander along Beaconsfield Road and get yourself to the Shahi.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has Havana Spoon been created in anticipation of Premiership footballers plying their trade and living in Brighton?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Toscas, Shoreham - 9/10 excellent meal and the whitebait starter was superb.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Toscas, Shoreham - 9/10 excellent meal and the whitebait starter was superb.

On my last visit the clams for the spaghetti Vongole were fresh from the tin. Great decor, nice vibe, but for me represents everything that is wrong with Italian restaurants outside of Italy.

I am inclined to agree with Jimmy Saville - Maroccospunk: not everything on their menu is a winner (the italian sausage on the pizza for example) but there are some seriously good dishes, particularly if shellfish, pasta and ice cream float your boat.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
On my last visit the clams for the spaghetti Vongole were fresh from the tin. Great decor, nice vibe, but for me represents everything that is wrong with Italian restaurants outside of Italy.

Probably because it is run by Turks :lolol::lolol:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Probably because it is run by Turks :lolol::lolol:

Romanians I thought, but not really the point for me. The formula is the same in 90% of "Italian" places. You can either get away with a reasonable sized bill, by eating basic pasta dishes that you could prepare at home in minutes or mediocre pizzas. If you go up market and choose a nice cut of meat or fish, you can end up paying the sort of money you would expect to fork out in a top class restaurant.

My top tips for Shoreham

1 Into The Blue
2 The Beach House
3 Suters Yard
4 The Royal Sovereign
5 The Bridge

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Anyone got any recommendations for Manchester (central)? A decent 'Saturday' night place? No food we don't like and good cocktails a bonus!

Went to this place in the NQ of Manc. Very good, buffet style with a difference.
Bem Brasil Restaurants

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Krua Anne - Kenny Gardens

Best thai food I've had in Brighton (possibly with the exception of Sabai). Nice and easy on the chilli which I find a problem with most Thai, just TOO hot for no reason. Have the seafood sharing thingy to start, it's deLISH. Not at all harsh on the wallet either, plus it's BYO! Delightful for a nice cheap meal out, if I am made to eat Thai in this town again (not at all my favourite) I'll go here. Or Sabai, but that is getting a tad pricey nowdays. Service good too.

8.5/10

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Due South - What a disappointment.

Having heard so much about this place I was excited at the prospect of going there last night. 9pm booking, so a relaxed second sitting was hoped for. Skipped lovely sounding starters because we'd had a small snack before we went out, so straight to main course. Two fish of the day (sole) we're just under cooked, so sticking to the bones, and head was still translucent, so inedible. Lamb dish (fillet and a sort of lamb mince) was over doneand swimming in a thin gravy. Bream on risotto apparently very good. And resented paying £4 on top for vegetables. When you're paying £18 for a grilled fish, you expect the veggies to be thrown in. Two deserts shared. Overly sweet and dry bread & butter pudding with marmalade, rubarb panna cottae pretty good by all accounts. Decent bottle of Gavi di Gavi but at the top end of where it should have been priced. Atmoshphere? Sat in the arched window at the front - lovely view. But presence of a hen party and a 30th birthday filling the rest of the place meant the atmosphere was pretty rowdy. No issue with that, but hen parties in top end restaurants on Saturday nights? It's always going to affect the other diners.

Overall impression? Priced where you would expect for a leading restaurant in the City, but under delivered on quality and service. Won't rush back - won't recommend it.

D

Deleted User X18H

Due South - What a disappointment.

Having heard so much about this place I was excited at the prospect of going there last night. 9pm booking, so a relaxed second sitting was hoped for. Skipped lovely sounding starters because we'd had a small snack before we went out, so straight to main course. Two fish of the day (sole) we're just under cooked, so sticking to the bones, and head was still translucent, so inedible. Lamb dish (fillet and a sort of lamb mince) was over doneand swimming in a thin gravy. Bream on risotto apparently very good. And resented paying £4 on top for vegetables. When you're paying £18 for a grilled fish, you expect the veggies to be thrown in. Two deserts shared. Overly sweet and dry bread & butter pudding with marmalade, rubarb panna cottae pretty good by all accounts. Decent bottle of Gavi di Gavi but at the top end of where it should have been priced. Atmoshphere? Sat in the arched window at the front - lovely view. But presence of a hen party and a 30th birthday filling the rest of the place meant the atmosphere was pretty rowdy. No issue with that, but hen parties in top end restaurants on Saturday nights? It's always going to affect the other diners.

Overall impression? Priced where you would expect for a leading restaurant in the City, but under delivered on quality and service. Won't rush back - won't recommend it.

Jeez no wonder you don't live in Brighton. People enjoying themselves? Disgraceful.

ILIKECANDLES

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
due south - what a disappointment.

Having heard so much about this place i was excited at the prospect of going there last night. 9pm booking, so a relaxed second sitting was hoped for. Skipped lovely sounding starters because we'd had a small snack before we went out, so straight to main course. Two fish of the day (sole) we're just under cooked, so sticking to the bones, and head was still translucent, so inedible. Lamb dish (fillet and a sort of lamb mince) was over doneand swimming in a thin gravy. Bream on risotto apparently very good. And resented paying £4 on top for vegetables. When you're paying £18 for a grilled fish, you expect the veggies to be thrown in. Two deserts shared. Overly sweet and dry bread & butter pudding with marmalade, rubarb panna cottae pretty good by all accounts. Decent bottle of gavi di gavi but at the top end of where it should have been priced. Atmoshphere? Sat in the arched window at the front - lovely view. But presence of a hen party and a 30th birthday filling the rest of the place meant the atmosphere was pretty rowdy. No issue with that, but hen parties in top end restaurants on saturday nights? It's always going to affect the other diners.

Overall impression? Priced where you would expect for a leading restaurant in the city, but under delivered on quality and service. Won't rush back - won't recommend it.

fuc wit.

ILIKECANDLES

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
Can I just throw in Maze in Mayfair. Pretty damn good. Locanda Locatelli's is the best Italian in london.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports