Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Request

Christmas Carol

Jun 15, 2023
Hello. I am new to this site, hope I am doing it right! My husband, Neil Groves, is a life long supporter of Brighton, has been since he is a child. I selfishly took him away from Brighton to Australia 30 years ago but he has never failed to listen or watch the games. We are back from Australia this year and it is Neil’s 70th birthday on 30 September, the day Brighton is playing Aston Villa. Now Neil says we will never get tickets, being an away game, but I would honestly love him to go with our son, another lifetime supporter. I thought I would ask if there is any member who would generously give up two tickets for 30 September so that Neil could go, and possibly take our son (if there was a third ticket for me it would be great, but I am not greedy and don’t mind too much sitting this game out!). Thanks everyone for considering my request!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hello. I am new to this site, hope I am doing it right! My husband, Neil Groves, is a life long supporter of Brighton, has been since he is a child. I selfishly took him away from Brighton to Australia 30 years ago but he has never failed to listen or watch the games. We are back from Australia this year and it is Neil’s 70th birthday on 30 September, the day Brighton is playing Aston Villa. Now Neil says we will never get tickets, being an away game, but I would honestly love him to go with our son, another lifetime supporter. I thought I would ask if there is any member who would generously give up two tickets for 30 September so that Neil could go, and possibly take our son (if there was a third ticket for me it would be great, but I am not greedy and don’t mind too much sitting this game out!). Thanks everyone for considering my request!
Hi Carol, That's very unlikely to happen I'm afraid. The club have clamped down hard on people buying tickets for away games and then giving/selling them on as it denies other fans who would otherwise been entitled to go to the game the opportunity to attend. The standard penalty if the transgressor is caught is a 10-game ban and the loss of 50 loyalty points (which govern your ability to buy away tickets).

I'd suggest your best bet is to either approach the club and ask nicely (but as it's an away game I doubt they'd play ball) or to buy tickets in the home end and sit on your hands...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Unfortunately the club very strict on folk passing on tickets, people caught doing this are getting 10 game stadium bans so it’s unlikely you’ll get one going down this route. I think your best bet is to get an Albion+ membership (it’s £36 this year) and buy the ticket at the time it’s released to Albion+ members.

I realise it’s an expensive way of doing things, but it’s probably going to be the only way of getting a ticket (You’ll still be taking a chance as it may sell out to season ticket holders, that said it’s a big ground so you might be in luck).

Good luck and I hope you get something sorted.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Unfortunately, as others have stated above, passing on away tickets to others can lead to severe punishment - you're unlikely to find anyone who would be prepared to take that risk, as being caught will mean they miss out on attending games for a period of time.

It may be worth them joining (or you joining them) the club Membership scheme here...

...as it may give you a chance of obtaining tickets yourself if demand for the game turns out to be low.

If nothing else, it might make a nice birthday gift for Neil.

Another option would be to buy hospitality access direct from Aston Villa. Away fans are allowed in hospitality areas at opposing clubs, although you should be respectful of your surroundings. Again, this might be a nice way to celebrate the occasion. If this appeals, keep an eye out here, or complete their enquiry form for next season now:

Finally be aware that the game may not actually take place on that day - it could be moved to the Friday evening (unlikely) or the Sunday afternoon or Monday evening. This will be determined by whether the game is selected for TV or not. We'll likely not know until mid-August.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'd suggest your best bet is to either approach the club and ask nicely (but as it's an away game I doubt they'd play ball) or to buy tickets in the home end and sit on your hands...

Asking the club seems like a good idea.

@Christmas Carol If you describe the backstory well (been a fan for over 60 years/left the UK the year of the cup final and relegation/back for his 70th birthday), they might be able to help you out. Good luck!

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Asking the club seems like a good idea.

@Christmas Carol If you describe the backstory well (been a fan for over 60 years/left the UK the year of the cup final and relegation/back for his 70th birthday), they might be able to help you out. Good luck!
It was 1993 30 years ago so don't say you left in the year of the cup final or they might get suspicious!

Jul 7, 2003
Hi Carol, That's very unlikely to happen I'm afraid. The club have clamped down hard on people buying tickets for away games and then giving/selling them on as it denies other fans who would otherwise been entitled to go to the game the opportunity to attend. The standard penalty if the transgressor is caught is a 10-game ban and the loss of 50 loyalty points (which govern your ability to buy away tickets).

Is it still the case that 1901 members can still transfer - if so, then maybe a friendly 1901'er could help?

Christmas Carol

Jun 15, 2023
Unfortunately the club very strict on folk passing on tickets, people caught doing this are getting 10 game stadium bans so it’s unlikely you’ll get one going down this route. I think your best bet is to get an Albion+ membership (it’s £36 this year) and buy the ticket at the time it’s released to Albion+ members.

I realise it’s an expensive way of doing things, but it’s probably going to be the only way of getting a ticket (You’ll still be taking a chance as it may sell out to season ticket holders, that said it’s a big ground so you might be in luck).

Good luck and I hope you get something sorted.
Thank you. I might buy a membership and see how I go. Thanks for replying,

Christmas Carol

Jun 15, 2023
If I were the op I’d go down the Villa hospitality route, good luck to her and hope she sorts!
Thanks for that. I will go down that route and really hope it works for Neil. Thank you so much for repla
I knew of a Neil Groves from Upper Beeding, any relation??
Eddie, it is (I think!), he is the only Neil Groves from Uoper Beeding!

Christmas Carol

Jun 15, 2023
Thanks for that. I will go down that route and really hope it works for Neil. Thank you so much for repla

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here