Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rents

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Well next time it comes up! We (me and 2 friends) rent a flat in central brighton and the landlord has put it up every year without fail. Oh and we never see him and he never carries out any maintenance (not that there's anything particularly required as we look after the place). To be fair, I think it is a fair price for its location- its just a general annoyance being on a pay freeze for the last two years and seemingly everything else just gets more and more expensive. You think your doing well in terms of money and then someone asks for more. Ho hum.

Indeed. I was extremely lucky to buy when I did (although that makes me older!), so I've never paid rent, but I have sympathy.

Oct 25, 2003
it seems like the done thing down here to house share (3/4 people, sometimes even more)well into your 30's unless you get married- even if you have what most would consider to be a decent job....when i tell my parents this they find it utterly bizarre...is it a new thing? I hardly know anyone under the age of about 35 who lives by themselves in Brighton.

high rental costs and relatively low salaries certainly don't make living in brighton particularly easy. Don't think I'd live elsewhere though until I settle down

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I hardly know anyone under the age of about 35 who lives by themselves in Brighton.

:wave:

Although by all accounts I'm only managing it because my rent is so much lower than it should be. Worries me slightly that were I to lose my flat for any reason, I'd have no hope of finding another £200 a month to find somewhere new. But at the same time I can't bear the thought of sharing with other people anymore. It was fun when I was a student but it gets old quite quickly and having lived by myself for nearly five years now, going back to shared life would be a massive arse burger.

On a related note, do you think people perhaps rush into relationships these days, so as to enjoy the benefits of sharing your rent with somebody else? I'm tempted to make do with some plain Jane if she cooks, cleans and pays half the bills...

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
Agents/Landlords exploiting people because its almost impossible to become a first time buyer. What a lovely world we live in.

That's why I've moved to Denmark. 6 months full time as a REMOVAL MAN and I've got enough for a deposit and already been given the go ahead once that is in place for a mortgage :)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
On a slightly related topic, I wonder how many people who have managed to buy a house in the last 5 years, or others who have just got used to the low interest rates - how many are going to be in trouble when the bank rates start rising, which won't happen for a while, but will happen at some point.

Dec 19, 2011
Hove
Simple case of supply and demand - Brighton is by far one if the nicest cities in the UK to live in, and as with everything, you get what you pay for.

As a fourth generation Brightonian I'm proud that I hail from such a great place that people want to move to and would rather that than live in dying town with low rent.

Furthermore I don't feel I have any right to cheap housing because I'm local - I can barely afford to rent in Hove but could afford to buy somewhere like Newhaven, but like thousands of others I have decided to take the hit and live somewhere nice! (sorry Newhaven-ites)

D

Deleted member 18477

On a slightly related topic, I wonder how many people who have managed to buy a house in the last 5 years, or others who have just got used to the low interest rates - how many are going to be in trouble when the bank rates start rising, which won't happen for a while, but will happen at some point.

I'm one of these people. Although I saved to get a deposit and now have a mortgage I'm STILL saving to get more equity ASAP just in case. I'm using the low Mortgage rates as an advantage to save. Not as an advantage to spend more.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
_46933503_sam_rents_official_site.jpg???

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The whole landscape has changed. The country will be

1. People who can get a mortgage and have a large deposit, either from equity if moving on, or the bank of mum and dad if ftb's
2. People who can afford to rent
3. People who will live with mum and dad until 40/50's and then stay in the house when their parents die

This is NOT good. We need a transient workforce and an economic environment that allows that.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm one of these people. Although I saved to get a deposit and now have a mortgage I'm STILL saving to get more equity ASAP just in case. I'm using the low Mortgage rates as an advantage to save. Not as an advantage to spend more.

The best thing I ever did financially was when I bought this house. The amount I borrowed rather scared me, so I overpaid each month as much as I could to get the mortgage balance down. It was slow a first, but got better and I carried on and paid my mortae off.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Just used the rent calculator on The BBC website and it looks like Greater London and Brighton and Hove are the most expensive in the UK. Getting ridiculous

This is the one third of the country where the rents and costs of mortgage repayments are highest because everyone wants to live somewhere relatively nice. To be fair would you like live up north adrift from civilisation ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here