Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rented households at risk of eviction..

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Most of the SothEast shires are building affordable housing which are mostly Tory seats so come give them some credit. We need the north to become stronger northern power house and the developers would fxxx off up north while we still have some green fields left.

I'm a housing expert for a living - you really don't know anything about this do you?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Until all MP's aren't allowed to indulge in buy to let then nothing gets done because of vested interests. Anyone who wants social housing in this country should be able to have it, that they don't is shameful

Surely it should be that anyone that needs social housing should get rather than those that just want?

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
As a comparison, i live in Norway. The no.1 countrt to live in the world according to some sort of index. I live just outside Trondheim, the countries third largest city. Its a ten minute drive through uncongested roads. I have a large 2 bedroom ground floor apartment, with a garden and parking space for two cars outside the property. I also have 2 bathrooms, a living room and an open plan kitchen/dining area. This costs me 10,000kr a mont, which is around £800.

5 years ago when i lived in worthing i was paying 650 for a crappy, cold and damp one bed place with on street parking. The rental market, in that area at least, is f*cked.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
just remind me how many houses built under 3 terms of Blairs Goverment.
The Torys have built more in half the time and upsetting its own voters doing it so please be fair.

Property developers add in a few affordable flats to get the planning through big deal. That's not building a good supply of real homes for people who are less fortunate to live in.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm a housing expert for a living - you really don't know anything about this do you?
Not sure about Brighton and the surrounding areas, but up here, the trend is for developers to buy up a lot of the old style larger houses, flatten them, then build luxury apartments.
Which are then sold for extortionate amounts.
So without being rude, as your in the know, how the hell can normal people afford these?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Oh well,once all these Remainers have fulfilled their promise to clear off,there should be quite a few empty houses about!And if we keep all those nice cheap Polish builders here instead of them,we should get some affordable houses built,as well!

Except if we leave the EU the economy WILL collapse and therefore we won't be able to leave as we won't be able to sell our houses.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Disagree. Housing is without doubt the most pressing issue and the one most broken.

Food, clothes and shelter.

I won't get back on my soapbox (done that enough on here). However, I stand by the assertion that we've had a housing crisis in this country for many many years and none of the political parties have done anything of value to address it. My generation maybe, if personal circumstances allowed, could have done things a bit different if we find ourselves having missed the boat, but the young generation really don't appear to have any chance at all of attaining a secure housing future for themselves without the help of inheritance money or the bank of Mum & Dad/Grandparents.

I don't really understand, the whole situation is purely market forces / supply & demand.

40+ years ago my parents couldn't afford to buy a house where they grew up so they moved to somewhere they could - it just so happens that now this location is unaffordable for many yet all they do is bleat.

The banking crisis didn't help, many lenders toughening their criteria has left many unable to obtain a mortgage.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don't really understand, the whole situation is purely market forces / supply & demand.

40+ years ago my parents couldn't afford to buy a house where they grew up so they moved to somewhere they could - it just so happens that now this location is unaffordable for many yet all they do is bleat.

The banking crisis didn't help, many lenders toughening their criteria has left many unable to obtain a mortgage.

Another one who thinks 'The Market' has a life all of it's own. Markets are created by human beings, and more specifically, mainly by those in positions of power, i.e. politicians.

The housing market we have today is most definitely created by politicians, of all persuasions, who have failed to regulate it over the years.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here