Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rented households at risk of eviction..

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Anyone who wants social housing in this country should be able to have it, that they don't is shameful

All very noble....How about when they come after you and expect you to pay more taxes to pay for it??

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Why not ? Increase top rate taxes instead of cutting them, invest in infrastructure instead of tax cuts for millionaires and mates rates for Google etc

That will really encourage people to want to make it ..... Lets be idle and rely on social !!!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Clearly a politically blinkered and inaccurate comment.
Osborne [I think he's Tory] has put pressure on the buy-to-let BTL landlords to make it less attractive.
Firstly he's whopped some extra stamp-duty on 2nd homes and secondly, removed mortgage interest as a tax-deductible allowance.

The affect of the first one is to cool the BTL entry market - outcome will be lower demand for first-time / starter homes which in-turn will impact asking prices [simple supply and demand economics]. The eventual knock-on will be more opportunity for first time buyers.
The second change makes being a BTL landlord less profitable - this will also discourage new BTL landlords and may also convince some existing BTL landlords that being a BTL landlord is no longer worth the hassle and sell up.

Collectively, both these Tory driven changes should increase the available stock of first-time / starter homes which were traditionally the prime target of BTL investor landlords. Small beginnings, granted, but more than the Blair years every did.

So I think you are wrong ....
All of which is not helping anyone stuck in rented accommodation, Hapless Dave has targeted those who get help by means of housing benefit and cut their allowance forcing them out on to the streets. Same old Tories pillaging from the poor. Purchasing a house for much of the population now is just a dream which will never come true.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Our fecked housing situation is my hobby horse so I won't go off on one again here.

I also hate the Tories with a passion. A party of the rich for the rich. Always have been and always will be.

However, I simply refuse to solely blame them for the complete housing disaster in this country. Although it all began with the evil witch and the council house sell off, Labour have done bugger all to put things right or speak up on it in opposition. A total disgrace all round.
The problem with politics over the last 40 or 50 years is that you can remove the word housing and insert just about any other national issue and it'll still make perfect sense.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
All of which is not helping anyone stuck in rented accommodation, Hapless Dave has targeted those who get help by means of housing benefit and cut their allowance forcing them out on to the streets. Same old Tories pillaging from the poor. Purchasing a house for much of the population now is just a dream which will never come true.
A great big black hole came to mind !

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Most of the SothEast shires are building affordable housing which are mostly Tory seats so come give them some credit. We need the north to become stronger northern power house and the developers would fxxx off up north while we still have some green fields left.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The problem with politics over the last 40 or 50 years is that you can remove the word housing and insert just about any other national issue and it'll still make perfect sense.

Disagree. Housing is without doubt the most pressing issue and the one most broken.

Food, clothes and shelter.

I won't get back on my soapbox (done that enough on here). However, I stand by the assertion that we've had a housing crisis in this country for many many years and none of the political parties have done anything of value to address it. My generation maybe, if personal circumstances allowed, could have done things a bit different if we find ourselves having missed the boat, but the young generation really don't appear to have any chance at all of attaining a secure housing future for themselves without the help of inheritance money or the bank of Mum & Dad/Grandparents.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Of course we could build loads of houses but nutty lefties in B&H don't want anything built.

Apart from the shipping containers the Greens arranged for the homeless in New England Road.

The council owns huge chucks of farmland around the City, why not build family homes there?

TB

On what evidence do you base that on ?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Oh well,once all these Remainers have fulfilled their promise to clear off,there should be quite a few empty houses about!And if we keep all those nice cheap Polish builders here instead of them,we should get some affordable houses built,as well!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Wrong only if you believe that there is something inherently inferior about living in rented accommodation.

It's not so much inferiority about renters of property. During your working life renting can sometimes be a necessity.

But when retirement comes and you haven't spent the last 25-30 years buying your home I think you are in a very inferior position because you will still need to find your monthly rent money until the day you die. Pay up your mortgage to own a house and you might have some disposable income during retirement to enjoy.
If you have kids, when you die you leave them a legacy that will help them enjoy their retirement years too.
And so it goes on through the generations to come.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here