Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Renegotiating Sky deal

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Same here, unfortunately no Virgin Media available here so don't have the same bargaining power (and they'll know that) but paying about 150/mth currently fro everything from Sky including broadband pro

Does Burgess Hill have any cable? We are in a desert in Haywards Heath. Apart from Bolnore, no one has cable. As you say, not so easy to negotiate but it can be done.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
So I got a text from them Friday saying please stay. But no better offer than what was offered.

Just had an email offering me 50% off my current package for 12 months but I'm tied into a 18th month contract.

Think I'll keep waiting. Still 3 weeks until I'm cut off so to speak.

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I called Sky to tell them I had dumped them, said because we, those that have been loyal for many years are paying for the Prem and knock down deals for new subscribers, was told, ahhh but they don't have Sky Atlantic, go do one you idiots.

Oh and they said I was up for a 30% discount, still more than Virgin. Would they have offered me 30% if I said I was going? NO!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
So I got a text from them Friday saying please stay. But no better offer than what was offered.

Just had an email offering me 50% off my current package for 12 months but I'm tied into a 18th month contract.

Think I'll keep waiting. Still 3 weeks until I'm cut off so to speak.

You must have done this about the same time as me as I've had the exact same email today. Looks like a few more offers to go before it's worth accepting!

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
This went well.

Currently paying £125/m for TV (inc movies / sport), Broadband and Phone. My dish and box are getting really unreliable. The dish is 10+ years old and box is pretty old too.

Anyway, saw Virgin are doing a better package (extra box and BT Sports included) for £85/m for 12 months then £120p/m.

So, did the thing with Sky who wouldn't budge - for an extra box (SkyQ but no new dish) they wanted £140/m! Not really the 'deal' I was after!

So, I've reluctantly had to give them the 31 days notice thing. Nause....

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I've had the same SKY deal for donkey's years.

Been too lazy to try and get a discount.

If I quit SKY, will I still get the free channels (BBC, ITV, Eurosport, Dave etc) without doing anything else?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

If I quit SKY, will I still get the free channels (BBC, ITV, Eurosport, Dave etc) without doing anything else?

I think you would need to get a freeview box.

Otherwise your aerial will only give you 1-5.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Yes, you can use your Sky box as a Freesat box. Downsides: you'll still have all the other channels that you have to pay for showing on the EPG, so you'll have to remember which ones you can see for free (whereas a Freesat box will only show you the free ones); you'll lose the ability to pause and re-wind, and record (whereas a Freesat box gives you these); and you'll lose access to anything you've already recorded (even though it'll still be on the Sky box hard drive). Upside: you don't have to pay for a Freesat box!

On topic:

Re Sky pricing: I've just got 65% discount, rolling 30 day contract and a £75 account credit. Had to do without Sky for 6 weeks though - used day passes on Now TV to tide me over.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Yes, you can use your Sky box as a Freesat box. Downsides: you'll still have all the other channels that you have to pay for showing on the EPG, so you'll have to remember which ones you can see for free (whereas a Freesat box will only show you the free ones); you'll lose the ability to pause and re-wind, and record (whereas a Freesat box gives you these); and you'll lose access to anything you've already recorded (even though it'll still be on the Sky box hard drive). Upside: you don't have to pay for a Freesat box!

On topic:

Re Sky pricing: I've just got 65% discount, rolling 30 day contract and a £75 account credit. Had to do without Sky for 6 weeks though - used day passes on Now TV to tide me over.

Thanks, that's great.

Will quite at the end of the football season, and hopefully get a decent offer prior to next August!

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
So, ditched Sky who didn't call back with a better offer and Virgin installed their services four days later which was surprisingly quick. Net result is paying £85/m instead of £125 and I've got new equipment and an extra box.

I can't understand why Sky didn't move an inch - not even on replacing my ancient equipment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here