Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Renegotiating Sky deal

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I used to pay £110 for full sky phone & broadband.

I binned it for £17.40 broadband & phone & use Kodi for movies & box sets which are perfect. & sports even though they are iffy - they are all free

JakyBF

Apr 19, 2016
Heathfield
£7.99 per month for Sky's NowTV Entertainment pack along with watching Sky albion away games in the pub is the best strategy for me.

Saved £100s.

:albion2:

You can save even more with this trick:

Log into your Now TV account online and follow the route to cancel your Movies or Entertainment pass.

A pop-up will come up saying "One-time offer: 3 months of Movies / Entertainment for only £3.99 each"

I took the offer, should see me through Xmas for the movies and then I'm cancelling. Not sure if it works with a sports subscription, but worth a try!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I am in the same boat the moment, my Sky package was rocketed to £120 a month inc broadband and phone. I went to cancel and they offered me a £30 a month reduction for 10 months. I went to leave but they 'reminded' me that they don't do multi-room anymore without Sky Q. So if I did cancel, and decided I had changed my mind I would need to take out Sky Q to get boxes in 2 rooms.

Should I really go through with the cancellation and hope they come back to save me? I don't want to use Kodi or anything like that, I have a good TV and HD for a reason and to be fair Sky is good and it does work. My missus uses it a lot but need to get the cost down.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
this does beg the question just how many people access sports " illegally"

i would never ever ever ever dream of doing it myself ever ever ever .....but it seems plenty do

I have just bought a Roku dongle thingy for streaming to an unloved (no Sky, Virgin or even aerial) TV in our house. Having also just installed Mobdro on my tablet, am I right in thinking that I could 'mirror image' this to my TV? If so, what future do Sky or Virgin have?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
one thing comes out of this tghread- and thnat is how vastly overcharging Sky are, I have heard numerous times, call them to cancel and they will give huge discounts, and that seems bourne out by this thread. In a previous existance I had to take calls from customers who found it hard tpo pay thier electric/gas bills. When we went through expenses trhe number of people paying inexcess of £100 a month for sky on numerous tvs throughpout the hbouse was eye watering(also eyewatering were the number of people who listed HD sports /Movies at over said £100 a month an an absoulute essebtial but didnt think paying for gas/elec and water was). Unfortunatly all the time people are prepaired to pay up we get the ridiculous postion we are in-Sky now more powerful than the FA , EPL and EFL,

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I still have Sky, but only the basic package. I binned Sports/Movies well over a year ago, the price hikes were just getting ridiculous. Kodi all the way for me now.

Watched the Man City v Celtic game in Croation last night. No squeeky scousers at half time. Jobs a goodun.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I am in the same boat the moment, my Sky package was rocketed to £120 a month inc broadband and phone. I went to cancel and they offered me a £30 a month reduction for 10 months. I went to leave but they 'reminded' me that they don't do multi-room anymore without Sky Q. So if I did cancel, and decided I had changed my mind I would need to take out Sky Q to get boxes in 2 rooms.

Should I really go through with the cancellation and hope they come back to save me? I don't want to use Kodi or anything like that, I have a good TV and HD for a reason and to be fair Sky is good and it does work. My missus uses it a lot but need to get the cost down.

I can assure you, they will come back. Or if you don't like what you've been offered, just ring them back the next day and speak to someone else who may offer better.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I'd been paying what had gone up to £92 a month for what seems like ever and eventually last month gave them a call and threatened to leave. They immediately offered me 20% off but I declined and said my mind was made up.
Within minutes my sky account on my box was offering me 50% discount for 10 months.
I ignored it and after a week the calls started - eventually they offered me 60% off for 12 months on a rolling monthly contract and I got £50 credit so ended up at £37ish and no contract. Maybe could have got even more but was happy with that.
Next day after re-signing I went straight onto the sky website and upgraded to sky q (at no extra cost as I already have full package and multi-room).
Had to pay 99£ for the sky q installation but they replaced my dish (which was really old) lnb's and all connections so I'm well chuffed (especially as I never intended leaving and wanted sky q before Xmas anyway😜)

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

As a new customer I took out a Sky Q subscription with a multi-room box (full package: Movies, Sports & HD) for £36 a month. Maybe have a look around what new customer offers there are, and if you find a good one your wife could sign up using it. So you can always use that as a bargaining line with the retention team.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
one thing comes out of this tghread- and thnat is how vastly overcharging Sky are, I have heard numerous times, call them to cancel and they will give huge discounts, and that seems bourne out by this thread. In a previous existance I had to take calls from customers who found it hard tpo pay thier electric/gas bills. When we went through expenses trhe number of people paying inexcess of £100 a month for sky on numerous tvs throughpout the hbouse was eye watering(also eyewatering were the number of people who listed HD sports /Movies at over said £100 a month an an absoulute essebtial but didnt think paying for gas/elec and water was). Unfortunatly all the time people are prepaired to pay up we get the ridiculous postion we are in-Sky now more powerful than the FA , EPL and EFL,

I've experienced this too many times myself. Many people (and not just the isolated case) struggling and in arrears on mortgages and key utilities will be paying £100+ per month to Sky and regard it as more essential. They'll justify it too, that's just as sad. One of the main reasons I loathe Sky, it's like a drug to many

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
My Sky Including Sports was £85 a month, I threatened to leave and eventually got that knocked down to £58. This included my line rental and underperforming Internet Speed.

I'd heard some previous crap reviews of TalkTalk but nevertheless (happily) gave them a call. To cut a long story short....

This months TalkTalk Bill...

£45.70
Due on:
06 December 2016
Payment method:
Direct Debit
Account number:
101xxxxxxx

This includes SKY SPORTS, and NETFLIX, my internet speed is SIX times faster than Sky. TV And WiFi wise I've never had it so good, for virtually HALF the price. I can also record more programmes.

Oh! And I got £120 of Shopping vouchers thrown in, which I dispensed of at Argos

Sky ....a rip off. They rely on customers being too arsed to make the change.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
You can save even more with this trick:

Log into your Now TV account online and follow the route to cancel your Movies or Entertainment pass.

A pop-up will come up saying "One-time offer: 3 months of Movies / Entertainment for only £3.99 each"

I took the offer, should see me through Xmas for the movies and then I'm cancelling. Not sure if it works with a sports subscription, but worth a try!

I did this a few months ago as well - was a great little bonus.

I also then tried it again when the offer was running out this month, and they offered an EVEN BETTER one... Laughing

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Had a bizarre experience with virgin media . Was basically happy with their deal - 55pcm for online, phone , tv package with sky sports , movies and bt sport - but contract was ending.
Phoned up sky out of curiosity and they talked me into going with them for 46pcm with online, phone, sky sports , movies etc.
Phoned virgin back to try to Get their same deal again (I wanted to keep bt sport which sky don't offer) - basically they wouldn't put me through to the dept that does the decent deals. They said that dept had to phone me. I tried over and over again to get transfered.
As it happened whenever they phoned I was busy and couldn't take the call. The one time they did get through they made s great offer but I didn't have my card details to hand. I said call me back in 10 minutes, they said they would but never did.
So reluctantly virgin lost my custom as we couldn't get together on the phone. I'm now on sky but get calls and emails every week from virgin asking me to go back to them . Baffling.
Clearly I'm no expert but My advice to get a good deal - you've got to be willing to walk away and go through the hassle of getting a box from another company installed . They'll sniff it out if you're all talk about leaving

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Just sharing my recent experience with Sky.

I took up sky originally with a 75% discount which was the full package for £20 per month for a year. The next year I renegotiated I ended up on about £35 p.m. I then let it slip and ended up on the full whack which was £85 p.m. I called to negotiate but they didn't offer a great deal so I quit.

About a week after the switch off they started calling me relentlessly asking me to return. I've answered a couple of times to see what they can offer so thought I would share this info just so those trying to negotiate know what can be offered.

They have offered 3 deals-

£24.50 pm for the whole package, all movies, sports, box sets, all in HD. (That's a 75% discount I think)

£18.50 pm for the whole package except the sports would not be in HD. (Again 75%)

£5 pm for all channels expect movies sports and box sets, nothing in HD.

If you're paying full price give them a call to negotiate a new deal. If you threaten to leave, in my experience the offer will normally be a 50%-75% discount. If they don't offer that and you do leave, they will then offer you 75%.

At present I'm probably going to go down the freeview/Kodi option and see how that pans out..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, I thought my new customer deal was good at 50% off. I'm paying GBP42/month.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Netflix, Amazon Instant Video and Freeview has enough for me really. If there's a game I want to watch I'll go to the pub. I might, possibly, get a week of Sky Sports on Now TV to watch the next Test Match as I'm off work for Christmas then, but dunno if it's worth it given the timings.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just sharing my recent experience with Sky.

I took up sky originally with a 75% discount which was the full package for £20 per month for a year. The next year I renegotiated I ended up on about £35 p.m. I then let it slip and ended up on the full whack which was £85 p.m. I called to negotiate but they didn't offer a great deal so I quit.

About a week after the switch off they started calling me relentlessly asking me to return. I've answered a couple of times to see what they can offer so thought I would share this info just so those trying to negotiate know what can be offered.

They have offered 3 deals-

£24.50 pm for the whole package, all movies, sports, box sets, all in HD. (That's a 75% discount I think)
I thought I was getting a good deal until reading that :eek:

I got the full package for half price for a year, then again for the next year, and now they've sent a letter saying we can keep it at half price for the next 5 years (no need to do anything, no tie in). 75% off knocks my deal out of the park though.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Until one hour ago I had Sports, Cinema, Box sets, all in HD. Until Oct I was paying £35.60 pm (£74 for standard definition, less 60% discount, plus £6 for HD - no discount on the HD). This thread prompted me to go an look at my account - I see that since 15 Nov, all discount has gone and I'm paying full whack at £80 pm.

The guy said the best he could do was 40% off the £74, plus £6 for HD = £50.40. I cancelled.

I'm now going to read the various Kodi threads...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think it's disgusting that some customers are being charged 1x by Sky while others are receiving the same package and paying 2x or even 3x. That's a shocking business model - you don't go into a restaurant and find diners enjoying the same meal at different prices so why does it make it right for TV?

I'll get the wife onto this pronto as I'm currently a £100 + per month Sky all singing, all dancing mule, but even assuming we get a better, more acceptable deal I feel sorry for those that are unaware that are also paying over the odds, it's just not right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here